Reply from Eileen Hulme

i think all the so-called councillers will be walking the plank when the next local elections come around :hanged::thumbsdown:

the problem is tho, say we do oust all the hopeless councillors come re alections, we will prob be replacing like for like. we really need to get some mere mortals elected, and even if we do get the right decision on 11th, i would seriously consider standing candidates in the next locals. we certainly have the numbers on here to make a difference, and with the right campaign goals anything is possible

Strange that I nearly lamped a Palace fan a couple of weeks ago after half an hour of listening to him tell me that the only protest vote you would ever get in an Oldham council election would be for the BNP. Wonder where he got that idea? I don't recall ever having been to Tommyfield market unless maybe I was dragged round it as a nipper.

even if we do get the right decision on 11th, i would seriously consider standing candidates in the next locals. we certainly have the numbers on here to make a difference, and with the right campaign goals anything is possible

We have the numbers on here but not to make a differece in Oldham elections, as not many live in the Wards to be targeted.

In fact, although we have the numbers on here, we can't eeven get enough of our members to write to the Council in support of the revised outilne planning application. Let's concentrate al our efforts single-mindedly on getting the right decision on the 11th. If we don't get that, the rest is academic, as is the future of the Club.

Diego, I salute your knowledge on all things council matters and read your posts with interest regarding the mechanism's of how everything works. In fact I would say many on this site look towards your posts for advice and direction. Now here's the however...... however this constant barrage that we, the converted on here ain't doing enough or willing in terms of emails etc is in danger of alienating the very people you're trying to encourage. Pipe it down a tad with that regard and return back to purely encouraging, advising and directing....Ta.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, sure we may not have the numbers within the targetted wards that can cast a vote, but we all can canvass in that ward. We can saturate an area far more than the councillors can. There is always more ways than one to skin a cat. What about the voter who agrees with us but can't be hassled to get to the box by foot or bus? easy you tell them you'll collect and ferry them down there!

Edited by Lags

Diego, I salute your knowledge on all things council matters and read your posts with interest regarding the mechanism's of how everything works. In fact I would say many on this site look towards your posts for advice and direction. Now here's the however...... however this constant barrage that we, the converted on here ain't doing enough or willing in terms of emails etc is in danger of alienating the very people you're trying to encourage. Pipe it down a tad with that regard and return back to purely encouraging, advising and directing....Ta.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, sure we may not have the numbers within the targetted wards that can cast a vote, but we all can canvass in that ward. We can saturate an area far more than the councillors can. There is always more ways than one to skin a cat. What about the voter who agrees with us but can't be hassled to get to the box by foot or bus? easy you tell them you'll collect and ferry them down there!

I agree we may need someone to stand, and the email writing is ffective, our threat may have been enough to see a changing of minds.

That said I believe we can make a difference.

Not in gain the council, but a few targetted seats, and even the campaigning will bring a changing of views from those standing once they realise the effect.

Bottom line, both the emails and possibility of us standing is concentrating minds.

my precise thoughts exactly lags. if we were to migrate to a particular ward for the day too-ing and frowing form the polling station, canvassing each and every household, we would outnumber the opposition 10-1 easily.

In my letter supporting the regeneration, i quoted jeff at the march

"when you go on holiday you talk about oldham in two lights, race riots and Oldham athletic"

not exactly those words, but thats the shortened version.

anyhow, ive just received a reply from Eileen Hulme, and quite fronkly, she seems like she is being well off.

have a read and see what you think. its below

Phil

Thank you for your E mail. As OAFC will soon be back before the planning committee I will not compromise the issue by commenting at this point in time. However I will comment on two other points

1 It is a long time since I heard any one refer to the “race riots”

2 When talking about Oldham few people mention Oldham Athletic. Many do refer to the sad demise of Tommy Field Market.

I find it very sad that people keep referring back to the race riots. Most of us in Oldham have thankfully moved on from those sad days

Regards

Eileen Hulme

lol!

Ok, so when you say to anybody under, say 50, the word Brixton - I bet it conjures two other words - one of which will be 'Academy' and the other will be 'riots'.

Same with Toxteth - what is it remembered for?

It's frightening that these councillors actually think this way, and it alarmingly highlights just why this town has been in demise for years!