Reply from Eileen Hulme

In my letter supporting the regeneration, i quoted jeff at the march

"when you go on holiday you talk about oldham in two lights, race riots and Oldham athletic"

not exactly those words, but thats the shortened version.

anyhow, ive just received a reply from Eileen Hulme, and quite fronkly, she seems like she is being well off.

have a read and see what you think. its below

Phil

Thank you for your E mail. As OAFC will soon be back before the planning committee I will not compromise the issue by commenting at this point in time. However I will comment on two other points

1 It is a long time since I heard any one refer to the “race riots”

2 When talking about Oldham few people mention Oldham Athletic. Many do refer to the sad demise of Tommy Field Market.

I find it very sad that people keep referring back to the race riots. Most of us in Oldham have thankfully moved on from those sad days

Regards

Eileen Hulme

"when you go on holiday you talk about oldham in two lights, race riots and Oldham athletic"

anyhow, ive just received a reply from Eileen Hulme, and quite fronkly, she seems like she is being well off.

Phil

Thank you for your E mail. As OAFC will soon be back before the planning committee I will not compromise the issue by commenting at this point in time. However I will comment on two other points

2 When talking about Oldham few people mention Oldham Athletic. Many do refer to the sad demise of Tommy Field Market.

I find it very sad that people keep referring back to the race riots. Most of us in Oldham have thankfully moved on from those sad days

Regards

Eileen Hulme

Stupid and oblivious bee-hatch :angry:

Point 1) Er.... are you deaf?

Point 2) People outside of the town talk about Tommyfield Market and don't talk about the football club? Lying cow!

Any response sent, Phill?

Stupid and oblivious bee-hatch :angry:

Point 1) Er.... are you deaf?

Point 2) People outside of the town talk about Tommyfield Market and don't talk about the football club? Lying cow!

Any response sent, Phill?

no, at the moment im in complete shock at that reply. she has obviously been walking around with her eyes shut in recent years. nobody in the town gives a damn about tommyfield, so why would anybody outside?

no, at the moment im in complete shock at that reply. she has obviously been walking around with her eyes shut in recent years. nobody in the town gives a damn about tommyfield, so why would anybody outside?

In my experience it is people over the age of 70 who miss Tommyfield most. They grew up with the outdoor market being the place to buy bargains. This is the same experience with outdoor markets in other parts of the country. The majority of people prefer indoor shopping with changing facilities when buying clothes, rather than all the drawbacks of shopping in the great outdoors.

So I'm sure Eileen Hulme finds that the over 70s associate Oldham with Tommyfield having a reputation as one of the best outdoor markets in the country. Among people under that age, the name of Oldham Athetic is said to have put the town on the map. Then of course there is the image from which she prefers to think that people have moved on.

Phil

Regards

Eileen Hulme

Out of touch.

Phil

1 It is a long time since I heard any one refer to the “race riotsâ€

Regards

Eileen Hulme

As someone who has lived outside Oldham but in a town reasonably nearby all my life, I have to say thats a laughable response :mad:

It's like saying people don't recognise Hyde by Harold Shipman.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Pathetic, uneducated, clueless response. These are the people we have to deal with, it's no wonder we're struggling.

They don't mention the riots? I was in the US two years ago and was asked about them by an ex pat. I was in Spain this year and after the Scunny fan ribbed me about us missing promotion he then moved onto the riots. People do mention it. They were the worst in living memory of those under 30. It wasn't regional news, nor national. It was Oldham on the international stage. The last time Oldham were being viewed across the world will have been, ah yes that would have been us.

Tommyfield my :ass3:

As has been said people over 70 may mention Tommyfield but the riots are still fresh in the memory of much of the younger population. The exact thing this development is needed for. The future generations of this town. Argh :angry:

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

No-one outside of Oldham has a clue what Tommyfield is. It only ever entered the nation's conscience when Cilla Black went there to sing a godawful song about "Dobbie Horse Vera" on Surprise Surprise. Anyone who saw it will have been trying to blank the experience from their memory ever since.

No-one outside of Oldham has a clue what Tommyfield is. It only ever entered the nation's conscience when Cilla Black went there to sing a godawful song about "Dobbie Horse Vera" on Surprise Surprise. Anyone who saw it will have been trying to blank the experience from their memory ever since.

And you've just brought those horrible memories flooding back!

Phil

Regards

Eileen Hulme

This makes me cringe.

How are we supposed to reason with these people when they are living on another planet.

How anyone can claim that we are not living with the stigma of the riots is unbelievable. To claim that Tommyfield is at the fourfront of the nation's thoughts is even worse.

The statement "few people mention Oldham Athletic" is nothing short of a joke. Has this woman ever actually left the borough?

Edited by Latics & England

It's all very simple as the poster above says save your distaste till election day and offer your services to any other candidate. For every door step punter who then agrees use your car to ferry them to the ballot box..... it's the only way these clowns who patronise will understand

I wonder her heads all nice and warm in the sand...

When you think Marsh Farm - what do you think? Considering they were in the 80s i dont think people will just forget about the race riots. Or perhaps she is trying to say that people have forgotten about Oldham all together.

This might be adding to your argument, but what is Tommy Field Market?!

Anytime I mention that I support Oldham to anyone around my area funnily enough they don't speak mournfully about the Tommy Field Market demise!

What an idiot Eileen Hulme is!

i wonder who we can blame for the demise of tommyfield market?

answers on a postcard to:

eileen hulme

OMBC

c/o oldham civic centre

oldham.

Indeed. As a comparision (sorry - another one) Ashton is having the market hall rebuilt and the outdoor market is still going....does farmers markets, flea markets as well as normal stalls every day.

Not a good email for Eileen was it?

reason for edit - Eileen sent an email not a post on here...

Edited by OminousPoultry