Will he be able to get back in the side what with Stammy, Trotman and Hazell doing so well?

Will he throw a hissy fit if he doesn't?

Personally I think he'll have to try bloody hard to get back in and to be honest, I can see him kicking up a fuss about it...

What does everyone else reckon?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that when Gregan is fully fit he will be in the first team regardless of who has to make way for him.

He was appointed team captain by Shez and on that basis that he would be playing every week and not sat on the bench or in the reserves.

IMO the centre of defence will be Gregan + A.N. Other.

I just can't imagine us going into an FA Cup match away to a Premiership team with a fit Gregan on the bench.

Tough call this. I would personally keep playing the defensive partnerships we have been playing recently as it looks sound as a pound. Stam and Trotters have been playing very well together and hazell has done a cracking job when needed. If it doesn't need fixing don't fix it. Shez won't play anyone based on reputation, he has said over and over again that if someone isn't playing well then their out of the team. Personally i think Gregs may struggle to walk back in to the team when fit.

so that means a high offside line to compensate for the lack of pace and evertons nippy stikers getting in behind and we get thumped. great. even beckett wud beat him in a race

At what point was it deemed necessary to be a speed merchant when playing at Centre Half.

I personally prefer someone there who wins the vast majority of headers, therefore cutting out alot of the danger at source.

Some of the best centre halfs in world football have not been whippets. :shock:

At what point was it deemed necessary to be a speed merchant when playing at Centre Half.

I personally prefer someone there who wins the vast majority of headers, therefore cutting out alot of the danger at source.

Yeah but we've already seen that Trotman and Hazell win the majority, if not all, the headers

you mean like ruuuuuuubes or trottman?

why put a player in to do one job that another player can already do and a lot lot more and doesnt affect the rest of the team with his whingeing and deluded self importance?

you mean like ruuuuuuubes or trottman?

why put a player in to do one job that another player can already do and a lot lot more and doesnt affect the rest of the team with his whingeing and deluded self importance?

I agree ^_^

And I know this was a pointless post, I just wanted to make it to 200 :grin:

Yeah but we've already seen that Trotman and Hazell win the majority, if not all, the headers

We also saw on Saturday in the first minute when we could and probably should have been 1-0 down that our current centre halfs can make mistakes that can lead to the concession of goals.

We also saw on Saturday in the first minute when we could and probably should have been 1-0 down that our current centre halfs can make mistakes that can lead to the concession of goals.

That was one silly mistake. The centre halfs then raised their game and as a result, Crewe never even looked like scoring! And the results speak for themselves, we've conceded less goals since Gregan was out!

That was one silly mistake. The centre halfs then raised their game and as a result, Crewe never even looked like scoring! And the results speak for themselves, we've conceded less goals since Gregan was out!

Don't get carried away with our clean sheet on Saturday, Crewe are absolutely dire away from home and offered absolutely nothing in the first half and still should have scored one.

In the second half they were better but Maynard is just back from about 4/5 months off and they still should have equalised in injury time because of our inability to deal with the corner.

I'm not saying that Trotman, Hazell and Stam are not good players or good Centre halves, but to write Gregan off as some are doing is ludicrous.

Don't get carried away with our clean sheet on Saturday, Crewe are absolutely dire away from home and offered absolutely nothing in the first half and still should have scored one.

In the second half they were better but Maynard is just back from about 4/5 months off and they still should have equalised in injury time because of our inability to deal with the corner.

I'm not saying that Trotman, Hazell and Stam are not good players or good Centre halves, but to write Gregan off as some are doing is ludicrous.

I don't think people are writing him off, just looking at the facts. We know that Gregan can be superb for us, we have seen that numerous times. The problem is his pace and I feel it is becoming more noticeable as teams are targeting it is a weak spot. Blackpool ripped us apart in the play offs because of our lack of pace at the back. It's all well and good winning all the headers when you are playing long ball teams but against teams who like to slide it through the defence it isn't the most important thing.

Also, Gregan has a very good understanding of the game and great awareness so he is good for marking players who rely on positioning and intelligent movement to find space. Against quick and agile players though he is lost. Keigan Parker proved that over and over again. For me it has to be Stam and one out of Rubes and Trotman at the moment. All three are playing really well and they have an all round game. Stam is composed and has great distribution and has been very deependable (forgetting the one very rare mistake on Saturday) and I think his ability to keep possession when moving it out of defence has really helped us develop our passing game (no more aimless hoofs). Then you have to pick one from Rubes and Trotman. Both absolute beasts in the air and have a fair bit of pace. Trotman is probably quicker but Rubes is more experienced and better at timing his tackles. I think he just about shades it going off Saturdays performance.

It's good that we have 4 great options at the back now but someone is always going to have to miss out. Whilst the others have been consistently performing superbly, Gregan has to wait his chance imo. He isn't absolutely irreplaceable as you are trying to say, we have seen that by the way the others have gladly stepped up and delivered. Play him when the game requires his abilities, but until it is tactically right to use him or the others start to falter he has to wait imo.

also gregan wud have bollocked stam for making that mistake then probably done the same himself, leaving stam thinking the imortal words of captain marvel 'shut up you pr!ck' when he should be thinking about the game

Just wondering, did Gregan shag your missus?

also gregan wud have bollocked stam for making that mistake then probably done the same himself, leaving stam thinking the imortal words of captain marvel 'shut up you pr!ck' when he should be thinking about the game

Clearly Gregan should retire with immediate effect, as he has absolutely no future whatsoever at Boundary Park.

He is without doubt 4th (unless Holness and Pearson are also above him in the pecking order) choice Centre Half and has no ability or qualities to speak of.

Given his impending retirement he needs to be stripped of the captaincy without delay.

I just hope Stam stays fit as he is by my reckoning overdue a long term injury and Hazell only has a contract until the end of the season, this could leave us short of cover with just Trotman.

But hey, thats life.

I agree with those who say Greegs stays where he is and fights for his place back in the team, by no means should he get straight back in, if I was Stam or Trots, even Hazell, on the last run of games we've had if I was dropped for Greegs to walk back in on reputation Id be reconsidering my future at the club.

I do also agree about Greegs rollocking other players rather than pushing them to keep their heads up etc. I do think he has a slight negative effect on the rest of our defence.

Clearly Gregan should retire with immediate effect, as he has absolutely no future whatsoever at Boundary Park.

He is without doubt 4th (unless Holness and Pearson are also above him in the pecking order) choice Centre Half and has no ability or qualities to speak of.

Given his impending retirement he needs to be stripped of the captaincy without delay.

I just hope Stam stays fit as he is by my reckoning overdue a long term injury and Hazell only has a contract until the end of the season, this could leave us short of cover with just Trotman.

But hey, thats life.

lol you're as bad as me for exaggerating :tongue:

There could be a case for Gregan to play as a defensive midfielder, say just in front of the back four. His experience should not be wasted as we have some big games coming up in the league.

i totally agree he has played in midfield before for other clubs. if kilkenny has to go back i think shez will move gregan into his place.