Best goal scored by a Latics player.

Alan Groves in the 6-0 demolition of Huddersfield in the 1974? promotion season. Got the ball on the right wing in front of the main stand, beat his man (twice), cut inside and smashed it left footed across the keeper and into the far corner. The keeper dived but I'm sure he didn't even see it.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Groves in the 6-0 demolition of Huddersfield in the 1974? promotion season. Got the ball on the right wing in front of the main stand, beat his man (twice), cut inside and smashed it left footed across the keeper and into the far corner. The keeper dived but I'm sure he didn't even see it.

Anyone remember Groves volley from the edge of the box, the ball played to him straight from a corner? No idea who it was against but was 74/5/6 in the old 2nd division.

Anyone remember Groves volley from the edge of the box, the ball played to him straight from a corner? No idea who it was against but was 74/5/6 in the old 2nd division.

wasnt it hereford or was that the famous diving header ?

anybody remember IanRobbins free kick through the wall v plymouth FAcup 3rd think 1977?

Celebration was good too!

Slips my mind who was in net, Fleming? But he ran the full length and jumped on him didn't he?

Miss the days we used to pack that end out against Huddersfield, not that we got many positive results there.

I don't remember a goal like that, but he did score a back-heeled flick at Maine Road once.

I might be thinking of that. Maybe he tried the other think but it failed. In front of Chaddy too as I recall. Slept since.....

None of you saw

Stainrod at Blackburn then.

I was there,1979 I think it was. It was on his debut when he scored from an almost impossible angle no one else would have had the audacity to try. What made it better was it was at Ewood Park where we never won and probably haven't done since. In my 45 years of watching Latics this goal gets my vote every time!

Was the Groves volley from edge of box in the 6-0 against Huddersfield when he took the corner on the right himself and it came back out to him. I remember it clearly as I turned away as the ball was cleared and missed it.