• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RobOAFC said:

I'm not saying he isn't - he is an average L2 keeper. The two keepers mentioned were far better and there has been several others before Zeus i would class as being better.

Goalkeeper is the least of our worries right now but i don't think it would be that hard to get an upgrade on him.

Why do you or would you want an upgrade? When has he been below par?

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 10:19 AM, the_mighty_bosh said:

Off the pitch matters will be most important with regards to the season as a whole (and maybe beyond that), but we need to keep things ticking over at least on the pitch.  7 games in the month should give us a good chance to pick up points.

Scunthorpe (H)

Cheltenham (A)

Macclesfield (A)

Stevenage (A)

Carlisle (H)

Salford (A)

Mansfield (H)

I'd say 10 points or more would be a decent month, the 3 games in the middle of the month are the crucial games to win.  With a lot of key players struggling with knocks or injuries after the Christmas period, I'd take a couple of draws from the next 2 as long as we are firing for the 3 games in the following week.

A target man and hopefully Nepo coming in at left back would be the key additions we need first.  Any extra upgrades would be great too of course!

So 7 points from 7 games is nowhere near great form, but we've managed to move from 9 to 11 points away from the bottom spot despite a pretty poor return.  It's clear that you have to be pretty dire in order to leave this league the wrong way and that's exaggerated by there only being one relegation space this season.

Yesterday was the one clear positive this month on the pitch, not only due to the result but also what looked like a comfortable and good performance.  More question marks than answers about Dino have developed over the past month, but the key recruits seem to have been made and the squad looks much better than a month ago (barring an exodus in the next 3 days).

The next 4 games will be difficult but on last night's showing we'll at least be able to compete in the games.  45 points (4 wins) should see us comfortably safe and if we don't achieve that then we deserve to go down anyway!  Hopefully now we can look to develop a team that settles and can lead us into next season with a bit of hope.  In all honesty that might be the only way Dino is able to keep his job.

Can't see us needing more than a couple of wins. Will take Stevenage long enough to get the 11 points they need to close us down.

Regardless, not finishing bottom of the Football League is not an accomplishment nor should it be a target. Last night showed this side has the personnel and ability to entertain and win games and we should be aiming to finish as high up the table as possible. Clearly the playoffs is fanciful (and I don't think there's any serious talk) but top half would at least be a sign of progress and something to build on for next season.

2 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Can't see us needing more than a couple of wins. Will take Stevenage long enough to get the 11 points they need to close us down.

Regardless, not finishing bottom of the Football League is not an accomplishment nor should it be a target. Last night showed this side has the personnel and ability to entertain and win games and we should be aiming to finish as high up the table as possible. Clearly the playoffs is fanciful (and I don't think there's any serious talk) but top half would at least be a sign of progress and something to build on for next season.

they may as well go for it next few games and see if they can win 3 or 4 on bounce and mount a late charge even though very unlikley. it should all be about next year really. getting smith FT and keeping the ones who played last night is key. apart from mccann cant think of one sub, bar the youth, who deserve to be kept on. i hope we look to secure that first 11 and then build from there. if we keep dino and team bonds well they could have a decent chance next year as this league is rotten

19 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

they may as well go for it next few games and see if they can win 3 or 4 on bounce and mount a late charge even though very unlikley. it should all be about next year really. getting smith FT and keeping the ones who played last night is key. apart from mccann cant think of one sub, bar the youth, who deserve to be kept on. i hope we look to secure that first 11 and then build from there. if we keep dino and team bonds well they could have a decent chance next year as this league is rotten

Don’t expect there will be much chance of getting Smith permanently tbh. Already reportedly has plenty of admirers. Think we just need to enjoy the lad whilst he’s here. (See Lang and Surridge)

34 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Even before last night, there was no chance of us going down.

Big Arms former side are sliding down this year

Archived