The Official Michael Ricketts Appreciation Thread

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand what your saying leeslover but i have to disagree.

Ricketts is not a quality player, he is an average player who has had one good season in his career, a "quality" striker in this league is someone who can put the ball in the back of the net or keeps defenders on their toes, looks dangerous etc...I don't care if a striker can make nice passes and all that, he is employed to score and keep opposing defenders on their toes...he does neither.

Ricketts is so easy to defend against it's untrue. This is how every team has come to latics this season, man mark Davies and get tight to him, don't allow him to run at you. Ricketts, put a tall rangey defender on him and allow him to play with his back to goal. That is all they did on Saturday and thats all Bristol rovers did, it's all Leeds did and it's all anyone else will do all season.

At the end of the day what we are doing at the monent isn't working so something has to give and if it's Davies then i reckon we are really going to struggle.

If someone can answer this then for me as i haven't got a clue.

Whats the point in giving Wolfy a 2 year contract to not start him? He scored aginst Crewe coming off the bench, he scored against Blackpool after coming off the bench in the play off's, whats the point in having him? What more does he have to do?

Give him a try with Davies and see what happens. Can't be any worse than whats happening at the minute.

I agree with giving Wolfy a go but alongside Ricketts not Davies. Davies and Wolfy played together at Huddersfield and it didnt work, but play Wolfy alongside Ricketts and he will make more runs than Davies does and Ricketts will be able to play him in, i really think they could make an excellent partnership up front

If Ricketts is so easy to defend against, why do defenders feel they have to climb all over him week in week out?

If Ricketts is so easy to defend against, how did he create our best chances on Saturday- only for them to be either wasted by Davies or saved superbly?

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7847&hl=

If Ricketts is so easy to defend against, why do defenders feel they have to climb all over him week in week out?

Defenders in this league will generally climb over any striker with some height and weight behind them. Surely we're playing in to defenders hands by playing someone which gives them an opportunity to do this? Why not take the opportunity away and play balls over the top? Thats how Scunny played with Sharpe last season. Thats how Leeds play this season with Beckford and Kandol.

Whats easier to defend aginst, a player who picks the ball up 10-15 yards yards outside his own box with his back to goal or a striker who runs the channels and keeps defenders moving.

As soon as Wolfy came on against Crewe they couldn't handle him and Davies as they both have pasce and both and both keep moving, their manager said bringing KK and Wolfy changed the games.

Hi all, new to the board, but thought I'd throw in my threepennorth! From what I've seen of Ricketts, we seem to have another Graeme Sharp. Quality player, bags of knowledge not used to the best way! Think about the similarities, proven scoring record, experience etc, but think about how many knock downs and flick ons sharp did like ricketts that aren't being picked up by others. If we could get a similar experienced head (dont think its davies) we night bet a few more goals. Let's see when Hughes is fit and sharp and see how they work together.

Like I said, first post but been watching latics 20 years. Be kind people!!

Matt.

From what I've seen of Ricketts, we seem to have another Graeme Sharp. Quality player, bags of knowledge not used to the best way! Think about the similarities, proven scoring record, experience etc, but think about how many knock downs and flick ons sharp did like ricketts that aren't being picked up by others. If we could get a similar experienced head (dont think its davies) we night bet a few more goals. Let's see when Hughes is fit and sharp and see how they work together.

Welcome Matt.

Sharp had been there and done everything, so he had nothing to prove. He was playing out his days ready for retirement.

Ricketts has a lot to prove, because he's gone backwards over the years - this may be his last chance to get back into the Championship, IF he plays well consistently.

Agree that Hughes, when fit and match-sharp, may be just the man to turn into goals Ricketts' knock-downs, flick-ons and superb through-balls, like the one to Davies on Saturday.

Guest sheridans_world

And make sure they have three fist fulls of his shirt so he cant go anywhere...

He worked hard on Saturday and as ever won most balls in the air - just need someone with the nouse to get onto these flick ons. Would love to see Hughes buzzing round Ricketts with Davies floating on the left side of attack and Taylor on the right side - think we would get plenty o goals then!

Guest oa_exile
Sharp had been there and done everything, so he had nothing to prove. He was playing out his days ready for retirement.

I would not agree with that D_S , in Sharps first season at BP he played every game and was the leading goalscorer as well as being touted for an International recall.

Guest oa_exile
Are you really agreeing with me after that first season?

Not sure what you mean by that :blink: if i remember didnt he miss most of his second season with us due to injury ?