The Official Michael Ricketts Appreciation Thread

For those who recognise that he is a quality player, and that if Davies had the same nous and an iota of positional sense we'd be scoring a helluva lot more goals at the moment.

I'm fed up of the idiots who hurl abuse at him every time he 'loses' the ball, i.e. holds it up or flicks it on, waiting for someone, anyone, to for one time take a gamble and make a run.

I was flabbergasted to hear the jeers today when he was announced 'Star Man' - he was excellent today.

Edited by jsslatic

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who recognise that he is a quality player, and that if Davies had the same nous and an iota of positional sense we'd be scoring a helluva lot more goals at the moment.

I'm fed up of the idiots who hurl abuse at him every time he 'loses' the ball, i.e. holds it up or flicks it on, waiting for someone, anyone, to for one time take a gamble and make a run.

I was flabbergasted to hear the jeers today when he was announced 'Star Man' - he was excellent today.

He did have a good game today, was definately one of our better players. The problem is he is one step ahead of most of the other players most of the time. I couldn't believe the booos for him, i was more stunned by KK being given man of the match

He was quality today, he's clearly our best attacking player and it would seem some people would rather see a Davies-style player (brash, maverick - very quick but no real end product) than someone who creates more chances and allows attacks to build up around him.

For me, he's one of the first names on the team-sheet. He's a quality player, if he manages to stay fit he'll do wonders for this club.

As for who his ideal partner is? I've no idea. I agree with the 'when Hughes comes back...' sentiment.

Time will tell. :)

Keep the Faith

Call me old fashioned, but I kinda like my centre forwards to have more than one shot a game and last longer than 40 mins.

If Eardley/Hazell/Gregan/Trotman continue to thump the long ball up in the air towards him, the best he can do is flick it on/hold it up (which he does very well). Who creates chances for him? Nobody. If Liddell or Taylor could get a cross to beat the defender on the edge of the box then he may stand a chance. Davies isn't going to set him up - he's too greedy and on the rare occasions on which he tries to pass he loses the ball.

ricketts was the best player on the pitch in the first half by an absolute mile. in the second half i can't remember one decent ball played anywhere near him. the reaction of some of the crowd at the end to his being named star man was just embarrassing.

If Eardley/Hazell/Gregan/Trotman continue to thump the long ball up in the air towards him, the best he can do is flick it on/hold it up (which he does very well). Who creates chances for him? Nobody. If Liddell or Taylor could get a cross to beat the defender on the edge of the box then he may stand a chance. Davies isn't going to set him up - he's too greedy and on the rare occasions on which he tries to pass he loses the ball.

But people on here keep telling me he's got an immense footballing brain, surely he can create his own chances?

Coco, you're the greatest.....

by a country mile the best player on the pitch today ,if only we had a midfield capable of getting near enough to support him and pick the ball off him, miss wellens big time he alwas made himself available to recieve the ball, we have no energy in the middle of the park and look sluggish no zip, hughes and ricketts will have longer to wait for support than colonel custer had to at the big horn.

Ricketts is a good player, we know that, but, for some reason his type of game is wasted as his team mates don't seem switched in to his way of playing. Surely they must have a game plan that they work on in training yet looking at the product on a Saturday you'd hardly think so.

The football so far this season has been dire...almost a carbon copy of ' The Ronnie Era ' and it's not good to watch.

We all want Shez to be a legend as a boss as well as a player but we also know that good players don't often make good managers.

Watching him on Latics World after the game today I saw one very frustrated individual that seems to be running out of excuses. He keeps refering to the players as being in their own little worlds, and that they're not listening to him.

He says that that if they don't listen to him in the future he will leave them out of the team. If the players aren't listening to him does it mean that they're not grasping what he says, or are they ignoring him, if it's the latter then he has lost the dressing room and we really have no chance of progressing in this league.

We haven't put in a performance of note for months now and I just can't see that changing in the near future.

We all have ideas on team selection but what has been blatantly obvious to everybody except Sheridan is that Chris Taylor needs a break. Putting him on the right won't make any difference to his form, he's a young lad and just needs to be taken out of the spotlight.

He's under so much pressure to go on a mazy run every time he gets the ball, and the lad is quite clearly out of form and low in confidence.

Why is he still playing week after week?

Hughes will be back soon, maybe even next week, as we need him desperately. When that happens in my opinion the team has to be changed to accomodate him.

My team would then be...... Beresford / Eardley, Gregan, Stam, Bertrand / Davies, Kalala, Kilkenny, Smalley / Ricketts, Hughes.

We all have opinions and the place to voice them is on these message boards and not at the ground, where hurling abuse at players probably makes you feel better, but doesn't help the overall situation one bit.

TTA aren't stupid and will know if there is unease in the dressing room and will act accordingly, however if it is true and the players aren't listening to Shez then I think he will choose to walk away himself sooner rather than later.

Guest sheridans_world
Love to think what position we would be in without Davies goals, but it's all his fault and nothing to do with the man with an 'immense' footballing brain, it's not his job to get in goalscoring situations on a regular basis.

:blahblah:

You are actually beginning to annoy me now, the average person has an opinion, those opinions evolve and change over time.

You are just negative.

Remeber the negative channel? must have lost the batteries from your remote...

Love to think what position we would be in without Davies goals, but it's all his fault and nothing to do with the man with an 'immense' footballing brain, it's not his job to get in goalscoring situations on a regular basis.

you are doing this purely as a wind up aren't you? please tell me you are.

i dont post very often, and i have only read the first post on this thread but i just wanted to say thankyou, its good to know some latics fans know what they are talking about,

i sit in the lookers paddock nr the chaddy and some of the comments are clueless, ricketts was our best player today, granted out of a poor bucnch, but in the first hour he won everything and played the ball very intelligenty.

when they announced the star man as ricketts and it was jeered it was disgraceful( not to mention the fact he was booed from the chaddy when his name was announced at the start ). some people watch the game with blinkers on.the reason we only got a point at huddersfield is because ricketts was not there in the second half to hold the ball up and bring people in.

one of the main reason we are not scoring goals and winning games at the moment is davies. his first touch is awful and he plays with his head down, he is a glory hunter and he is not fit to clean porters boots (sorry) hes found his level and we will not make a profit if he does not learn to play it simple.he plays on his own, not with or off ricketts.

if we can get hughes fit and raring to go i would drop davies either to the bench or maybe instead of taylor on the wing.

hughes may not have the pace but he can read the game like rickets and will take a chance on one of his knock downs, and after 3 years away from the game i would have more confidence of hughes finishing the one on one in the first half, he would hit the target at the vey least.

how many times does davies make the keeper work in a game? to answer my own question not enough.

one simple change to the current team and there will be a big difference, hughes for davies.the whole dimension of the team will change and the midfield might support the attack for once.we might create more as a team and actuall score some goals.

sorry for the rant but its been bugging me for weeks, also spelling and punctuation might be poor but ive been drinking since i left the ground, had to cheer myself up some how.

i am the eternal optimist, but some latics fans really need to get a clue.

Call me old fashioned, but I kinda like my centre forwards to have more than one shot a game and last longer than 40 mins.

Hey...:censored: off Coco! Him and Marlon were a tie for MOTM today! Had his header superbly saved and sent Davies clear for him to fluff! You want to slag off the rest of the team, but focus solely on Ricketts...you can't admit that over the years we've made good players like Ricketts and Davies look s.h.i.t coz of the awful service we've provided and static, non-existent midfield they've had to starve on!!!

Make ya mind up....is the team awful and creating nothing so Ricketts and Davies are starved....or are we all missing something excellent and Ricketts and Davies are missing chance after chance after chance that's being provided?

We both know the answer! Pipe down eh :censored:er!

Edited by Ackey