The play offs are gettin more distant

Seriously? My god....you wouldn't rather be playing FA Cup ties most weeks in the league above along with 3 ex-Prem teams every season? I'd rather be knocked out in the 1st round by complete minnows if we were then to go up. Oh well...

Does it matter which division we struggle in, League One or Championship? We'll still be a nobody club to everyone else unless we got into the Premiership and into the top 6, which just won't happen any time in the next few decades. To see Oldham win an FA CUP would be a once in a lifetime event. Getting promoted to The Championship would be small beans compared to winning the FA CUP. Like I said, what's the difference between mediocre seasons in League One and The Championship if we could win the FA CUP? I want us to get promoted, I'd like us to be in The Championship, but if it's a choice between promotion to a division we'd continue to perform average in or win the FA CUP, then there's just no contest.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, what's the difference between mediocre seasons in League One and The Championship if we could win the FA CUP?

A regular couple of million quid a year, financially more secure by not losing £800k a year (even if we struggle each season on a well laid TTA budget), better SKY TV exposure, the RRE full of away fans for lots more games (might even make us sing back more), trips to grounds like Wolves (rather than Yeovil) more often.....there are many more I could list......

Edited by boundaryblue80

You missed the point mate, yes they are all great results, but my point is they count for nothing due to the amount of simple points we are throwing away.

Maybe ive phrased that wrong, they do count for something, they are the points keeping us well above the drop zone, but it's the simple points i stated that we have thrown away at home which are costing us our play off place.

No, I think that you missed my point :D

Yes, there have been lows this season, but there have also been highs.

We have proved that we can compete with the teams above us, so if we can just sort out some of the poor results like you highlighted (mainly at home - and therefore should be the easy part), I am sure we can climb the table.

I think that it is a basic human instinct to either automatically look at either the positive or the negative. I know we all want to be balanced in our overall outlook and all want Latics to do well and make the play-offs. But in my (annoyingly optimistic) mind, a topic titled "The play offs are getting more distant" may be true, but we have just gone on a run of 1 defeat in 16 (?) games which includes an all-time-record-breaking 7 consecutive way wins and a win away at a Premiership team who are in a European qualifying spot plus we have just come away with a draw away from home against a team who are above us in the league and made the Play-Off final last season.

I suppose I naturally look at best case scenario rather than the worst case scenario. Doesn't mean that I am right and you are wrong (which is probably the case :D ) and only time will tell. But Come on Latics, lets build on last year - we made the play-offs again, have re-built our team and can still do it.

Time for a top up - my glass is only half full :drinking:

which includes an all-time-record-breaking 7 consecutive way wins

No probs with what ya saying Rick, other than wanted to point out it's 5 wins....can't really add in the cup wins into a discussion about playoffs. For me (and I hate saying this) it's the draws that feel like losses which hurt. Yeovil....feels like a well earned point. But the draw at home to Brighton (throw in Donny and Luton before Xmas etc.) and it's those where it really feels like a loss. Games we really should've won.

But for a post about the playoffs getting further away, after an excellent away point from a poor performace is a bit harsh and as you call it, "glass half empty."

Edited by boundaryblue80

Does it matter which division we struggle in, League One or Championship?

You can talk to Samaritans at any time of the day or night.

08457 90 90 90

There IS light at the end of the tunnel Pukka. I've been there and seen it. The last tunnel we were in was longer and darker than this one.

That is why we say to ourselves each night before we turn in............

KEEP THE FAITH

PS You missed out League 2, Unibond, Blue Square...............

A regular couple of million quid a year, financially more secure by not losing £800k a year (even if we struggle each season on a well laid TTA budget), better SKY TV exposure, the RRE full of away fans for lots more games (might even make us sing back more), trips to grounds like Wolves (rather than Yeovil) more often.....there are many more I could list......

We've got the new facilities and stadium redevelopment to strengthen our monetary situation. Better TV coverage? Perhaps, but most fans go to the games anyway or listen on world. And trips to better grounds, seems like a luxury now but after 6 years in The Championship they won't seem all that pretty and we'll want better, again.

No probs with what ya saying Rick, other than wanted to point out it's 5 wins....can't really add in the cup wins into a discussion about playoffs. For me (and I hate saying this) it's the draws that feel like losses which hurt. Yeovil....feels like a well earned point. But the draw at home to Brighton (throw in Donny and Luton before Xmas etc.) and it's those where it really feels like a loss. Games we really should've won.

But for a post about the playoffs getting further away, after an excellent away point from a poor performace is a bit harsh and as you call it, "glass half empty."

I really can't argue that our home form has been shockingly poor, but people say that your Home form is what counts and if you can pick up the odd few points away, then you'll be OK - it has just been the other way round for us so far this season.

I know that the cup games don't count towards the league (although it is a shame), but it is all about form and ability.

Let's get the atmosphere ramped up at home and I still think we have a chance.

I really can't argue that our home form has been shockingly poor, but people say that your Home form is what counts and if you can pick up the odd few points away, then you'll be OK - it has just been the other way round for us so far this season.

I know that the cup games don't count towards the league (although it is a shame), but it is all about form and ability.

Let's get the atmosphere ramped up at home and I still think we have a chance.

nice one rick - for all the fans that went yesterday should take a long hard look because that is how bad our support is when we are at home, an occasssional beat of a drum or something and the occassional chant - they had a one man band with a bloody megaphone or somethin, any way this season is not over by a long shot - so agree brilliance required from the team but fans as well

Why cant we all be positive? we might not get promoted this season but we have the t.t.a who are sticking by us to re-construct the ground, we have a young team who are going to be a force to be reckoned with when they get more experience, we have a young decent manager, at the moment we are enjoying a little cup run and have every chance of reaching the last 16, we will reach the play offs this season if our home form improves. In my eyes the futures bright, could anybody have said that a few seasons back? lets be grateful we have something to look forward to

I feel sadly that the playoff's will be just out of reach for us this season; the lack of a creative midfield player and no left footed players on the left side will cost us, it certainly costs us at home where we find it difficult to break down well set up, well disciplined defences.

BUT let's enjoy our moment in the limelight with the FA Cup and the extra revenue it will bring. We should look at this season as a building season; the likes of Smalley (who personally I don't think is quite ready for the first team yet) Eardley, Taylor, Trotman, Wolfy etc. will only get better with another season under their belts so we could be set to have a good young squad with perhaps a few additions in the summer. I hope we don't make an major wholesale changes at the end of the season, I feel a period of stability in the team is needed.

Our un-official club motto is "Keep the Faith" and that's what we have to do; as a few have suggested there are lots of positives to take from the season so far, and as we saw last season, 3 or 4 wins on the bounce can make such a difference.

:ktf:

Gotta agree with that. Would take some quality signings to get us going. Can't seem to get above 13th for some reason.

We will never be promoted as long as we start every season with a half-new team.

If we don't bring in a group of quality players (we already have some) and keep them together for several seasons we will go nowhere.

:ktf: im keeping it. to be honest its no over. look at some of the teams we still have to play aswell as the two games in hand. port vale away northampton away swindon away loads of teams round about near us. but if we dont make it this year then we will go up as champions next season :OWTB1:

I think the clue is in the topic header "The play off's are gettin MORE distant" is that MORE optimistic? or as it stands these past 3 weeks..real?

We are now 10 points adrift of said play off's IF we win our 2 games in hand we are 4 points off, IF we draw both games we are 8 points off, IF we win one and draw one we are 6 points off. So it means realistically all though not mathematically correct if we don't win both games it becomes a very very tall order. We must also rely on a good number of teams above us to slip up often.

Of course we can do it hence the mention of the maths, however we have to start to win and often whilst a good number of sides above must lose often. No good us winning 3 on the trot whilst they win 3 or 2 at the same time. The top six sides have lately been cementing their position whilst Latics due to two draws have moved further adrift.

Why cant we all be positive? we might not get promoted this season but we have the t.t.a who are sticking by us to re-construct the ground, we have a young team who are going to be a force to be reckoned with when they get more experience, we have a young decent manager, at the moment we are enjoying a little cup run and have every chance of reaching the last 16, we will reach the play offs this season if our home form improves. In my eyes the futures bright, could anybody have said that a few seasons back? lets be grateful we have something to look forward to

I agree - I can't remember the last time I was so excited about the long-term prospects for the clubm both on and off the field. I do feel that it is starting to look a tall order to reach the play-offs this season, but by no means is it impossible. Ask me again once the transfer window shuts what I feel are our prospects for this season. Looking further ahead, even if we don't go up I feel we have the nucleus of a good side and a good manager who is learning all the time. Given time, I'm certain it will come good.

So is my glass half full or half empty? I like to think I've queued for ages to actually buy a pint, so have decided to get two in while I'm there. One of these is totally full, and the other has about half a pint in it. :)

I agree - I can't remember the last time I was so excited about the long-term prospects for the clubm both on and off the field. I do feel that it is starting to look a tall order to reach the play-offs this season, but by no means is it impossible. Ask me again once the transfer window shuts what I feel are our prospects for this season. Looking further ahead, even if we don't go up I feel we have the nucleus of a good side and a good manager who is learning all the time. Given time, I'm certain it will come good.

The problem is that it's never given a chance to come good as, whenever we have the nucleus of a good side it gets broken up in the close season. A different side is then cobbled together, which usually means a poor start, and promotion recedes beyond the horizon early doors.

Until this situation is overcome we are going nowhere.

Of course we can do it hence the mention of the maths, however we have to start to win and often whilst a good number of sides above must lose often. No good us winning 3 on the trot whilst they win 3 or 2 at the same time. The top six sides have lately been cementing their position whilst Latics due to two draws have moved further adrift.

That is bang on the money Lags.

For me, there is always a game after which I think "that's it, the play offs are gone". Usually happens somewhere from mid to end of March.

However, against Brighton last week, when the equaliser went in, I could help but think something very similar. It was more along the lines of us needing to turn our home form around, but for me that needs to happen in our next home league game. Forget Saturday, the cup is a one off (though the confidence of any win at home would be very welcome just now).

I just thought Brighton was a massive opportunity missed. I really believed that we'd get back on track at BP in that game, much the same as the Blackpool game at home last season which we ended up losing one nil.

Cant belive so many are writting off the play offs :lol:

There is sooo much football still to play! I do belive we need signings if we are to challenge this year though....

Not sure many a re totally 'writing them off' as such, I think a lot though are realistically thinking that they are getting further and further away, and we need to improve our results (or rather turn our home draws into wins) pretty bloody sharpish.

Not sure many a re totally 'writing them off' as such, I think a lot though are realistically thinking that they are getting further and further away, and we need to improve our results (or rather turn our home draws into wins) pretty bloody sharpish.

I'm not writing us off the play-offs myself but I think we'll fall short of them personally. It does depend on who we can get in before end of this month however, and with Gregan and Liddell expected back in a month or two we could be in a strong shape with 10 games or so left. But all that depends on if we can stay within 10 points (any more and start booking holidays in May) of them in the next 2 months which, like Dan says, will depend on whether we can get that home form working and of course on the addition of another striker and creative midfielder.

But is it a disaster if we just fall short, especially given how the entire side was taken apart after last season? With the addition of a couple of key players, and a stadium dream being fulfilled next season offers a lot of optimism as I think say 80% or so of the team is taking shape. Also players like Smalley and perhaps Alessandra have more first team experience and can start kicking on.

It's frustrating as hell being in this division still. We're becoming the Rochdale of Division 3 but I do feel that we're finally getting the stability that was always missing in the last 10 seasons here.