The play offs are gettin more distant

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

perversley i believe we are currently in a potentially better position than last year as a few wins builds momentum plus a fa cup tie which wont be overly distracting. every year a team or two slides (grrrrr) and a team or two flies, lets fly..

Edited by daznathe

Guest oa_exile
Most the top teams this year are the ones that kept most the sqauds together from last year....

............and splashed the cash , as in improved their squads with quality additions.

For me, there is always a game after which I think "that's it, the play offs are gone". Usually happens somewhere from mid to end of March.

There were about 6 games at the end of Ronald's second season where we were thinking that, but results kept going the way that kept us in with a chance. It really is far too soon just now to be throwing the towel in. If we can just get a couple of players in to score one extra goal per home game then we have every chance.

Incidentally, I would sell my mother to Colin for her to be the 9th striker in the Palace squad if we got to the FA Cup final, never mind winning it. Just so long as we got a bye in the semi.

The play-offs this season became distant when Haining, Wellens, Porter, Rocky, Charlton, Warne and Eddy left with Ricketts, Allott, Hughes, Davies, Kalala, Thompson, Crossley and KK coming in. You can't swap half a squad in a summer and expect to challenge the next year.

We might as well all face up to it, we aren't going up this year. As a bonus the way Dale are playing we should have a cracking local game next season which should get us a full house aznd hopefully a bit of blood and thunder on the pitch. By that time all the young players who ae currently still boys doing a man's job will be one year older and wiser alongside the current lot of year two contractors having settled in and kicked on. With a spine of Trotman, Allott, Hughes and an almost established team of Eardley/Lomax, Taylor, Smalley, Davies, Macca (if he stays) around them plus a smattering of new faces we should be in a position to look for at least the play-offs next season.

And if we don't make them next season then nay bother, there is always the season after that or the one after or the one after..etc..etc.. In the meantime there is the stadium redevelopment to come which fingers crossed provides more cash so we can keep replacing the two-year-contract players maybe even increase the quality of the players we can attract and slowly but surely make some process up to the top 10 of the Championship and the cup runs to the quarters or even Semis of the FA and League cup.

There were about 6 games at the end of Ronald's second season where we were thinking that, but results kept going the way that kept us in with a chance. It really is far too soon just now to be throwing the towel in. If we can just get a couple of players in to score one extra goal per home game then we have every chance.

Incidentally, I would sell my mother to Colin for her to be the 9th striker in the Palace squad if we got to the FA Cup final, never mind winning it. Just so long as we got a bye in the semi.

Aye, you're right Andy, it is WAY too soon to be chucking the towel in, I think I was just trying to say that it's becoming painfully apparent that we need to be performing better/converting chances at BP is we have any chance of the play-offs.

Aye, you're right Andy, it is WAY too soon to be chucking the towel in, I think I was just trying to say that it's becoming painfully apparent that we need to be performing better/converting chances at BP is we have any chance of the play-offs.

It isn't a case of chucking the towel in now-the towel was thrown in with the abysmal start to the season.

Before anybody mentions Blackpool last year, there are always exceptions to the rule, but these are rare. Promoted teams are usually consistently good throughout the season.

It isn't a case of chucking the towel in now-the towel was thrown in with the abysmal start to the season.

Before anybody mentions Blackpool last year, there are always exceptions to the rule, but these are rare. Promoted teams are usually consistently good throughout the season.

Course it's about chucking the towel in now.

The early season poor form certainly hasn't helped our cause this term, but the fact remains that if we improve our home form and try to maintain our away form, we WILL climb the league.

Course it's about chucking the towel in now.

The early season poor form certainly hasn't helped our cause this term, but the fact remains that if we improve our home form and try to maintain our away form, we WILL climb the league.

That's a lot of ifs, and we may well climb the league if the team can find good form at home, but we are not likely to climb high enough.

It's an early season t'ing.

That's a lot of ifs, and we may well climb the league if the team can find good form at home, but we are not likely to climb high enough.

It's an early season t'ing.

Aye, but we can't do anything about lost points now though. We CAN avoid dropping more points.

I'd agree though, that our early season form has given us something of a mountain to climb.

:laught16:

I await you to reiterate, yet again, one of your 2 or 3 posts.

I haven't seen you complain when somebody comes up yet again with the nonsense about 'moaning fans' being responsble for crap team performances. I doubt if anything has ever been reiterated so much in the entire history of internet bulletin boards.

As we've played half the top 8 both home and away, and of the other 4 we've played 3 of them away and 1 at home, we've clearly played a dis-proportionate number of top 8 clubs, with 12 games played, compared to the 7 games we've had against bottom 8 clubs.

We've 21 games still to play, the play offs aren't out of the question, but we need to start moving before the end of Feb to have any real chance.

Erm, ok then, we'll mention Palace in Dowie's 1st season then...bottom at Xmas....playoffs and up by May 31st :grin:

Bet there's a few more if I had a look....not as rare as you're making out.

As we've played half the top 8 both home and away, and of the other 4 we've played 3 of them away and 1 at home, we've clearly played a dis-proportionate number of top 8 clubs, with 12 games played, compared to the 7 games we've had against bottom 8 clubs.

We've 21 games still to play, the play offs aren't out of the question, but we need to start moving before the end of Feb to have any real chance.

We're :censored:ed then.....we never play well against teams down there :wink:

Erm, ok then, we'll mention Palace in Dowie's 1st season then...bottom at Xmas....playoffs and up by May 31st :grin:

Bet there's a few more if I had a look....not as rare as you're making out.

Yeah, it's a complete myth innit. Of course, a good start is pretty important but it's far more common for teams to get that good start before hitting bad form (as most teams do) and either limping home or not even making it.

Nearly ALL teams that go up have a strong last couple of months to the season.

Dunno if its just me, but I never give up hope until its matmatically impossible, imagine if we needed to win our last game at home against a team already promoted, imagine if we were losin 2-0, imagine if we also needed the league leaders to lose at home (something they havnt done all season) eehhh just imagine, cos it coudlnt happen could it? the glass is half full guys until its half empty

I haven't seen you complain when somebody comes up yet again with the nonsense about 'moaning fans' being responsble for crap team performances. I doubt if anything has ever been reiterated so much in the entire history of internet bulletin boards.

translates as 'i moan loud and proud and i wont even listen to anything against what i do, my username gives this away'

We're :censored:ed then.....we never play well against teams down there :wink:

And we've played more aways than homes, we'll have 11 home games left and 9 aways after tonight. The way we've been picking up away points and dropping home ones suggests that makes it bleaker !!

I feel sadly that the playoff's will be just out of reach for us this season; the lack of a creative midfield player and no left footed players on the left side will cost us, it certainly costs us at home where we find it difficult to break down well set up, well disciplined defences.

BUT let's enjoy our moment in the limelight with the FA Cup and the extra revenue it will bring. We should look at this season as a building season; the likes of Smalley (who personally I don't think is quite ready for the first team yet) Eardley, Taylor, Trotman, Wolfy etc. will only get better with another season under their belts so we could be set to have a good young squad with perhaps a few additions in the summer. I hope we don't make an major wholesale changes at the end of the season, I feel a period of stability in the team is needed.

Our un-official club motto is "Keep the Faith" and that's what we have to do; as a few have suggested there are lots of positives to take from the season so far, and as we saw last season, 3 or 4 wins on the bounce can make such a difference.

:ktf:

Totally agree.

If we can get into the playoffs with the team as it is then brilliant, but realistically we should be looking to complete the team in the January and Summer transfer windows and be ready for a promotion push next season. The most important thing we need to do is to keep the current group of players together, no-one should be allowed to leave unless we get some ridiculous offers, meaning that offering Trotman a new deal should be our top priority. After that we should look to add 5 players before early August...

A new 1st choice 'keeper (for next season, Crossley won't be 1st choice and I doubt that Pogs will be favoured)

Left-footed Left Back

Left-footed Winger

Creative Central Midfielder

Striker (preferably a target man) who will add competition for Hughes and Davies.

Tbh I wouldn't mind too much if we don't bring any players in this month as long as we fill the named positions above in the summer. It will be easier to pick up players in the summer and prices are often higher for players this month anyway and we are not in a position to gamble on next season's success by going flat out for promotion this season.