• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forget the play offs

Agree to a certain extent, and realistically it is a tough target

BUT

Leeds lst today, they still may take points of each other

We are 10 points behind, but win the 2 and theortically only 4 pts behind with a good chunk of the season left.

That said we haven't been great in the final third of the season for a few years now.

Agree to a certain extent, and realistically it is a tough target

BUT

Leeds lst today, they still may take points of each other

We are 10 points behind, but win the 2 and theortically only 4 pts behind with a good chunk of the season left.

That said we haven't been great in the final third of the season for a few years now.

tbh just looking behind more than than I am looking forward. Sad to say really when there was so much optimism pre-season.

Yes 0000 and Stevie we are in a decent run if you take the last 10 to 15 games. Yet we are slippin further back mainly due to our home form. It's difficult to claw back the points we are behind. Remember we need to constantly remain good now whilst those above us have to slip up often. Plus it'll take a good few teams to slip up together.

I should think Shez will be giving the team some short term targets. Building blocks to get us back into the play off race.

We're not out of it yet, but we need to go on a run of a few wins on the trot sooner rather than later to gain some ground.

If we don't make it, I just hope we can keep hold of the nucleus of the first team squad so we can build on it, rather than having to start from scratch all over again.

Yes 0000 and Stevie we are in a decent run if you take the last 10 to 15 games. Yet we are slippin further back mainly due to our home form. It's difficult to claw back the points we are behind. Remember we need to constantly remain good now whilst those above us have to slip up often. Plus it'll take a good few teams to slip up together.

We do need to stay on a good run but if we can do that, and I think that'll depend on Shez can bringing in a couple of new faces before the month's out, I don't see any reason why we can't creep into the top six.

A decent draw at Yeovil however the league is taking shape and those at the top are cementing their places. Latics are gettin further away which wont help with attractin the right players.

Want a refill Lags?

Your glass is half full empty mate :lol:

Those are facts as it stands rick. The top six are indeed pulling away and cementing their places as pace setters. Everyone agree's that after the xmas programme as finished it's a very good indicator to the eventual league ending. Donny had a simular start to us, yet they look very strong now after a good xmas. Swansea are where they are from virtually day two (Day one saw us beat the far superior side on the day) Carlisle are hanging in there from the off. Dirty Leeds are defo the3 weak link in the mix at the mo if you take current last 15 games as a form guide. Forest will be in plays off's but certainly not as the strongest. Orient are still hangin around and are current under dogs of the pack, whilst Wallsall showed us that the right tactics with not the best bunch of players undid us. Latics need to make a conserted move now and a good number of clubs need to stall.

Edited by Lags

Those are facts as it stands rick. The top six are indeed pulling away and cementing their places as pace setters. Everyone agree's that after the xmas programme as finished it's a very good indicator to the eventual league ending. Donny had a simular start to us, yet they look very strong now after a good xmas. Swansea are where they are from virtually day two (Day one saw us beat the far superior side on the day) Carlisle are hanging in there from the off. Dirty Leeds are defo the3 weak link in the mix at the mo if you take current last 15 games as a form guide. Forest will be in plays off's but certainly not as the strongest. Orient are still hangin around and are current under dogs of the pack, whilst Wallsall showed us that the right tactics with not the best bunch of players undid us. Latics need to make a conserted move now and a good number of clubs need to stall.

I think it's a fair point Lags; we are off the pace and do need to continue our improvement. Indeed, the top six at this point last season were the top six at the end of that season. We definitely need to start making ground. I can see someone picking off Leyton Orient, but for us to be that team will be a tall order. The only other team I imagine might drop out of the current top six is Carlisle but they're going along pretty nicely; I think Swansea, Donny, Forest and Leeds (spit!) will all be there.

We're still in with a shout if we can do something about our home form and can keep the away form on track.

:lol:

I'd take winning the F.A Cup this season even if it meant Latics not getting promoted for another decade!

Seriously? My god....you wouldn't rather be playing FA Cup ties most weeks in the league above along with 3 ex-Prem teams every season? I'd rather be knocked out in the 1st round by complete minnows if we were then to go up. Oh well...

Don't get me wrong - those are indeed the facts as it stands.

However, there are still 60 points (?) to play for and we haven't peaked at home yet. All teams have good and bad spells every season. We have probably peaked away from home - did I hear that we have the 3rd best away results in the division? But with a bit of positive support at home.......no, I agree with you - we are doomed. Might as well resign myself to the fact. :disappointed:

Seriously though, Shez has set a target of averaging 2 points per game for us to be in with a shout of the playoffs. Consistency always has been the problem with this level of football and I believe (rightly or wrongly) that we are one of the top 6 teams in this league.

You say that everyone agrees that positions after xmas are a good indicator, but everyone also agrees that there is generally one team that have a late surge and make the playoffs out of the BLUE - not only that, but it is often that team that goes up.

I will continue to believe we can make it until it is mathematically impossible - I must have been going to Latics for too long :D

It is just the way I am - ever the optimist. :comeon:

Oldham 0-1 Bristol Rovers

Oldham 0-1 Southend

Oldham 0-1 Northampton

Oldham 1-1 Luton

Oldham 1-1 Port Vale

Oldham 1-1 Doncaster

Oldham 1-1 Brighton

That tell's its own story in my opinion.

Oldham 2 - 1 Swansea (Currently 1st)

Leeds 1 - 3 Oldham (Currently 5th)

Doncaster 1 - 2 Oldham (Currently 4th) - plus 2 draws and a loss

Walsall 0 - 3 Oldham (Currently 7th)

Southend 0 - 1 Oldham (Currently 8th)

Forest 0 - 0 Oldham (Currently 3rd) - both Home and Away

Everton 0 - 1 Oldham (Currently the 5th best team in the country)

It is all about whether your glass is half full or half empty my friend. In my humble opinion, our support away has been half full and at home half empty.

Mine is half full - time for another refill :drinking:

Edited by Rick