there's that excuse gone once and for all then

fans whinging too much at home games, people having a pop at certain players affects them, boo boys this, boo boys that etc, etc......

nothing but 100% backing today and we were still sheite.

(and I speak as someone who AGREED with Shez in having a go at our less intelligent fans)

I find it absolutely amazing that not one of those that continued to state its all the fans fault for moaning haven't responded to this thread. Where are you?

Are you stupid ?

Any idiot can surely understand that a team will peform better when given encouragement as opposed to playing in a near silent ground where all that can be heard is sighing and moaning. So, the crowd got behind the team yesterday and they still put in a rubbish performance - it happens.

I find it absolutely amazing that not one of those that continued to state its all the fans fault for moaning haven't responded to this thread. Where are you?

Right here after eating humble pie

Still stand by what I said about our fans in recent games but cant fault them today, and it didnt give the players the lift I thought it would.

I tell you what I am fed up of...... posters coming on here saying am stupid or in general name calling, I don't :censored: do it, so stop :censored: doing it to me.

Yes I know a player will respond better to encouragement, however I don't believe it's any worse at Latics than anywhere else. Now yesterday they got plenty of backing, but it didn't make one jot of difference. Now if you want to call me stupid it can be arranged.

Edited by Lags

I tell you what I am fed up of...... posters coming on here saying am stupid or in general name calling, I don't :censored: do it, so stop :censored: doing it to me.

Yes I know a player will respond better to encouragement, however I don't believe it's any worse at Latics than anywhere else. Now yesterday they got plenty of backing, but it didn't make one jot of difference. Now if you want to call me stupid it can be arranged.

Nobody said it was the fans fault that we are playing rubbish but that the fans support and general getting behind the team is a contributatory factor. You can't disprove this point over one game, same as you can't prove it when the supporters got behind us at Everton when we produced a superhuman performance :wink:

Slagging the team off does not help the players. My point is if you (not you but fans in general) don't have anything encouraging to say about the teams performance then it is best to say nothing at all.

Edited by laticsmad

Nobody said it was the fans fault that we are playing rubbish but that the fans support and general getting behind the team is a contributatory factor. You can't disprove this point over one game, same as you can't prove it when the supporters got behind us at Everton when we produced a superhuman performance :wink:

Slagging the team off does not help the players. My point is if you (not you but fans in general) don't have anything encouraging to say about the teams performance then it is best to say nothing at all.

Sorry fella you've got the wrong man about not encouraging the players, cos I do. However I will not have its the fans fault, thats a plain cop out.

Are you stupid ?

Any idiot can surely understand that a team will peform better when given encouragement as opposed to playing in a near silent ground where all that can be heard is sighing and moaning. So, the crowd got behind the team yesterday and they still put in a rubbish performance - it happens.

It does indeed happen-at BP nearly every time.

Another wasted season.

My views on who is responsible for the teams performances are well documented. They are paid to entertain first and foremost. I would also like to add the following.

75,000 fans turn up at Old Trafford each home game and their Manager still feels it necessary to ask them to Support the team. The team sits atop the Premiership and is probably one of the best there as been at Old Trafford. So this correlation between support, encouragement and performance doesn't seem to be to important there does it? I know you will say there is a vast difference between Manchester United and Oldham Athletic but the teams both still put 11 players on the pitch. It is about desire, skill, passion and the will to win.

Those players at Manchester United play for their Manager also. Something I don't think is happening at Oldham at the moment. I do not know who would replace Sheridan but if he doesn't go he certainly needs some man management training. A gifted player does not always make a gifted Manager. Just look at Brian Robson.

Support is extremely important but I will state again that the players have the responsibility to entertain and earn that support. As I said to a mate when getting in my car yesterday. "What an absolute pile of crap. See you Tuesday night then"

There also seems to be an assumption that because the Supporters havn't played to the exalted level of League One then we surely can't know the slightest thing about football. WRONG. Having played for top amateur team Sporting Athletic in the late 70's and winning Oldham Amateur Leagues top goal scorer in the same decade playing for the Globe I feel I know a bit about football. I have a feeling there are many others sat in that stadium who can boast better stats than mine and they have equally valid opinions on the game. Woe betide they should attempt to shout that opinion across to the Coaching team though.

I am readying myself for the personal insults now so off you go guys. God forbid I should have an opinion!!!!!

Edited by happyterryb

My views on who is responsible for the teams performances are well documented. They are paid to entertain first and foremost. I would also like to add the following.

75,000 fans turn up at Old Trafford each home game and their Manager still feels it necessary to ask them to Support the team. The team sits atop the Premiership and is probably one of the best there as been at Old Trafford. So this correlation between support, encouragement and performance doesn't seem to be to important there does it? I know you will say there is a vast difference between Manchester United and Oldham Athletic but the teams both still put 11 players on the pitch. It is about desire, skill, passion and the will to win.

Those players at Manchester United play for their Manager also. Something I don't think is happening at Oldham at the moment. I do not know who would replace Sheridan but if he doesn't go he certainly needs some man management training. A gifted player does not always make a gifted Manager. Just look at Brian Robson.

Support is extremely important but I will state again that the players have the responsibility to entertain and earn that support. As I said to a mate when getting in my car yesterday. "What an absolute pile of crap. See you Tuesday night then"

There also seems to be an assumption that because the Supporters havn't played to the exalted level of League One then we surely can't know the slightest thing about football. WRONG. Having played for top amateur team Sporting Athletic in the late 70's and winning Oldham Amateur Leagues top goal scorer in the same decade playing for the Globe I feel I know a bit about football. I have a feeling there are many others sat in that stadium who can boast better stats than mine and they have equally valid opinions on the game. Woe betide they should attempt to shout that opinion across to the Coaching team though.

I am readying myself for the personal insults now so off you go guys. God forbid I should have an opinion!!!!!

A lot of truth there. There is, generally speaking, actually very little connection between levels and type of support and a team's performance. A whole host of other factors, some of which you have touched on, are far more important.

Look at those clubs who've traditionally had fantastic, vocal support and yet have been garbage football-wise for most of their history. Some of the noisiest games I've ever attended were the occasional match at Maine Road in the late 1990s when they were in free-fall. In contrast, as you say, some successful clubs have fans who are notoriously quiet most of the time.

When it comes to crowds, the only important thing is the size of them, due to the effect on finance-and the ability to build a team that might actually get fans enthusiastic enough to be more vocal.

They are paid to entertain first and foremost.

Oh deary, deary me.....seriously? Nah, utter rubbish.

They're paid to get results.....sadly, they're not doing that either....so it's not good, but I'll watch 46 :censored: games but win promotion than be entertained and lose. Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to be entertaining and to be flying at the top of the lot......but entertainment comes 2nd every time to results in this game I'm afraid. No matter what it costs to come through the gates and endure what happens on the pitch....when we beat Colchester 1-0 under Moore 2yrs ago, I'd witnessed the dullest game in the history of BP (ok, slight exagerration maybe) and a player I utterly disliked scored the winner in injury time (Butcher)......did I leave feeling empty? Did I hellaslike....I was over the moon! Sadly, I was one of few! Most just whined how it didn't feel like a win....pathetic I thought!

Where we are....at this level....I don't need it to be entertaining as I simply want us to succeed at all costs....boring or not! I just wish more were like that....

Edited by boundaryblue80

They're paid to get results.....sadly, they're not doing that either....so it's not good, but I'll watch 46 :censored: games but win promotion than be entertained and lose. Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to be entertaining and to be flying at the top of the lot......but entertainment comes 2nd every time to results in this game I'm afraid. No matter what it costs to come through the gates and endure what happens on the pitch....when we beat Colchester 1-0 under Moore 2yrs ago, I'd witnessed the dullest game in the history of BP (ok, slight exagerration maybe) and a player I utterly disliked scored the winner in injury time (Butcher)......did I leave feeling empty? Did I hellaslike....I was over the moon! Sadly, I was one of few! Most just whined how it didn't feel like a win....pathetic I thought!

Where we are....at this level....I don't need it to be entertaining as I simply want us to succeed at all costs....boring or not! I just wish more were like that....

There are too many distractions other than football and I'm sorry but in general at £20 a time people will stop going to matches if they are not entertained. In these days of SKY live armchair football winning at all costs is simply not enough to get bums on seats.

Your always going to get the diehards like us, who turn up week in week out but to get success at a club you need to entertain and at home this season we just ain't doing it!

We all have opinions but the reason we've averaged 5,800 instead of 7,000 is solely down to boring, predictable, football, producing 2 wins and only 9 goals!!

and lets not forget that there appears to be a complete LACK of team spirit within latics at the moment whatever different players and the management come out saying ..blah blah blah... now on sat when jevons was taken off - its high fives and hugs... kalala off he walked straight past shez and tommy wright who didn't bat an eyelid - no pat on the back no nothing. it's only a small thing but to me body language says a lot about the spirit in the camp.

They are paid to play football. I pay my money to watch them play entertaining flowing football which hopefully leads to wins. The second half at Doncaster in the cup was a reminder of this clubs ethos. Football on the deck with passing to feet. The same players as are on the pitch at this moment apart from a couple of exceptions were there and they managed to win whilst playing very attractive football. Is there any need to call some ones view Rubbish because it doesn't correspond with yours. Its just a different view to yours... It might even be a better view than your own... Wouldn't that be a surprise!!!!

Two points:

(1) I agree that support was good on the whole and was shocked by some players lack of effort on Saturday.

(2) my real problem is the idiots who not only criticise the players for little mistakes or even when good moves do not come off and call the players certain names e.g. calling Taylor a Ginger C-word every 2 minutes. I can put up with the swearing, but I was insulted by having to sit within 5 ft of a guy with such a low level of intelligence for 45 min. He disappeared at half time thankfully.

Pack it in Yard Dog. It's up to you guys ultimately - you either get along in line with the site regs, or we go back to the admins/mods coming down tough.

Quite right Rummy.

Too many people would rather insult a person for their different opinion than put together a constructive response to the contrary.

To me, that just shows a lower level of intelligence and does nothing to strengthen the value of their own opinion.

Quite right Rummy.

Too many people would rather insult a person for their different opinion than put together a constructive response to the contrary.

To me, that just shows a lower level of intelligence and does nothing to strengthen the value of their own opinion.

Here Here that Man..

There are too many distractions other than football and I'm sorry but in general at £20 a time people will stop going to matches if they are not entertained. In these days of SKY live armchair football winning at all costs is simply not enough to get bums on seats.

Your always going to get the diehards like us, who turn up week in week out but to get success at a club you need to entertain and at home this season we just ain't doing it!

We all have opinions but the reason we've averaged 5,800 instead of 7,000 is solely down to boring, predictable, football, producing 2 wins and only 9 goals!!

I disagree.

I think the who we're playing/what we're playing for seems to have more bearing on attendances than how we're playing.

Well let me be a little controversial ...

I actually thought that, given the conditions and the available playing staff, we played pretty well on Saturday in front of a 12,500 crowd that got behind both teams. Certainly a decent performance compared to some of the more tepid offerings in front of a silent 4,000 or so.

Yes it was an appalling goal to concede defensively, but it's not as if Hudders had a hatful of chances - on balance we probably had two clear chances each all game. I'm positive that if it had been us who nicked the goal instead of Hudders, but an identical performance otherwise, then there would have been plenty of threads raving about the atmosphere and how it brought about a revival in our home form.

Can't make it tomorrow night, but I'm guessing it'll be back to the silent 4,000...

Great atmos on Satdi in the Chaddy End - it was rocking (especially the 2nd half). Shame the boys couldnt get a result forruz but will be there on Tuesday screaming and shouting again and hoping we can actually win our second home League game of the season (missed Swansea!!)