scoreboard revised

and the upside...

we get 3 months out of the 2nd hand one,it goes tits up and we've completed the circle of life.

i feel a insurance scam comming on hear(not that i condone that sort of thing)we went out for an away match when i got back the door had been kicked in and the telly /giant screen was gone. :ohno:

i feel a insurance scam comming on hear(not that i condone that sort of thing)we went out for an away match when i got back the door had been kicked in and the telly /giant screen was gone. :ohno:

if the old one went up i just have this vision of franny walking round bp with an old metal coathanger in his hand trying to get good reception from it!!!

Good idea....years late IMO.

Yeah what's another 4-5 years? Just add it to the other 4 years we've been waiting. Do they still want us or local businesses to pay for it though? Despite the fact in the time we've been without one it could've paid for itself several times over. Another boat missed for a club that constantly highlights the financial constraints it works under. Surely to combat this you exploit every possible income stream, and don't get me started on the bloody sign to advertise up coming games. Especially when there are already two massive boards already at the top of sheepfoot lane that could be purchased. In fact one of them is owned by a Latics fan, the guy who owns the papershop.

"Hey Bill? How long left?"

"I dunno, look at 'the scoreboard'"

Crazy name, but it might just catch on!

ok...have thought about this a bit today,and i think the majority of fans have voiced there opinion regarding they miss the old scoreboard....even if its only for the half times.and the team selections.

as i understood it,the club had raised money for the new scoreboard,and the only thing holding it up so to speak,was the structure to secure it.

in that case would i be right in assuming that the buisness folk of oldham have already stumped up for this,and its just a case of installing it.

if it is going to take 4-5 years before we have an all singing all dancing one so to speak,i think it may be an idea to get this second hand one running,because over a 4 or 5 year period it will bring in much needed income.

the club can hardly cry poverty one moment,then pass up a golden oppertunity to make cash.

just my ramblings.

How much money do people really think a screen would bring in? Do many clubs at this level have them? 'cos I've not seen one yet at this level (might have forgotten though?)

Hudds? Vale? Scunny? Brizzle (either)? Crewe? who has got one?

It was going to cost £30k to put the 2nd hand one up, maybe another £10k min for the screen itself?

So £40k outlay? Plus running cost - electric + an operator

I bet we struggle to sell all the hoardings around the ground, let alone getting another £10k a year from a screen that's mainly showing match highlights? And that would need 4 years of trouble free running before the club broke even.

Would you spend £50 on a 30 second message for a mates birthday?

I'm totally unconvinced that a screen would "pay for itself"

How much money do people really think a screen would bring in? Do many clubs at this level have them? 'cos I've not seen one yet at this level (might have forgotten though?)

It was going to cost £30k to put the 2nd hand one up, maybe another £10k min for the screen itself?

I bet we struggle to sell all the hoardings around the ground, let alone getting another £10k a year from a screen that's mainly showing match highlights? And that would need 4 years of trouble free running before the club broke even.

Exactly. There are people at the Club who have proven track records in making money where it is to be had.

If a Scoreboard were to make money, then we would have had one ages ago.

Exactly. There are people at the Club who have proven track records in making money where it is to be had.

If a Scoreboard were to make money, then we would have had one ages ago.

So why get one in the future then? Personally, I think scoreboards could be used for allsorts...you could even go to the lengths of running TV adverts on them. Maybe not national ads, but ads for local businesses etc. like run on Channel M. Surely could charge a couple of thousand a season for that per company?

also, would you buy a programmme to find out team news etc if it was all displayed on the screen too?

also, would you buy a programmme to find out team news etc if it was all displayed on the screen too?

The programme gives team news? These days its just a check list of the entire squad so you can tick who played (if you are anal enough).

With 4000-5000 fans turning up to look at it - nobody is going to pay big money to advertise on it. As a retrofit option its unlikely to ever be cost effective - a small additional cost in the developement of a new stand? Maybe.

As above, there's no way it is a moneyspinner. I'm right behind the club's decision on this one, I wouldn't want to see one penny diverted from the playing budget to spend on a screen. Planning for one 4-5 years down the line means that the structure for it can be built in with the new stand, and gives you that amount of time for the hardware prices to fall, so it might well be a more attractive proposition then.

The programme gives team news? These days its just a check list of the entire squad so you can tick who played (if you are anal enough).

With 4000-5000 fans turning up to look at it - nobody is going to pay big money to advertise on it. As a retrofit option its unlikely to ever be cost effective - a small additional cost in the developement of a new stand? Maybe.

I try to tick them off but my pen won't work on the shiny paper... :disappointed::disappointed: