Roger Wylde

roger wylde a fans player ,always had time to speak to the fans ,we could do with the likes of him at latics today ..and if i am not wrong that photo was taken at rotherham when wyldey scored the winner in the 3-2 win rogwylde1.jpg

Edited by boboafc

i was officially the first person to get his autograph as an oldham player!

i heard he was signing on the day,so i went down to latics and waited...

about an hour later,he comes out with simon stainrod(who i believe was a good mate of his),all smiles after completing the signing.

i got in first,in front of about 10 others!

i was about 14/15 !!!

Guest oa_exile
Roger was a proper footballer. Could you imagine Roger in todays football with all the training and new ways of improving a player? he'd be mustard.

Spot on Lags !

As posted above he was a Fans player , loved the crowd and the crowd loved him ................ Happy Days !

Gets me all tingly thinking of them days :) when we had great strikers at the club year after year ! , strikers that were heroes to you a young Tic like me ^_^

Tells you something when Johnny posts all excited about the time he met him "i was officially the first person to get his autograph as an oldham player!" , quality ! :grin:

Aye we always seemed to pull out a great signing back in them days that was a hero to the fans...ALL THE FANS!

Same as when we scooped Stainrod or the likes of Halom. Even Steve Taylor came with a good rep for scorin and did us proud too, even if he did run with a limp!

Guest oa_exile
Aye we always seemed to pull out a great signing back in them days that was a hero to the fans...ALL THE FANS!

Same as when we scooped Stainrod or the likes of Halom. Even Steve Taylor came with a good rep for scorin and did us proud too, even if he did run with a limp!

Tis true , just like today then came and went BUT we always replaced them with another top class striker who instantly became a fans favorite ..........something i really have missed in recent years :disappointed:

Tis true , just like today then came and went BUT we always replaced them with another top class striker who instantly became a fans favorite ..........something i really have missed in recent years :disappointed:

Just wondered who was the last striker we signed who went on to become a true hero - I bet it was probably Stitch - 20 years ago !

Guest oa_exile
Talking of hero's from the past, one of my all time hero's down at Latics and is seldom mentioned was and still is Graham Bell. I thought he was tops back then.

I remember him well Lags , I will hold that thought thought as I have to set off now , we dont all live local yer know :)

Spot on Lags !

As posted above he was a Fans player , loved the crowd and the crowd loved him ................ Happy Days !

Gets me all tingly thinking of them days :) when we had great strikers at the club year after year ! , strikers that were heroes to you a young Tic like me ^_^

Stop dreaming. We're a third- tier club with 4000 fans, nine-tenths of whom are moaners who only put our otherwise world-beating players off..

Strikers cost money etc etc .

Keep the Faith.

Stop dreaming. We're a third- tier club with 4000 fans, nine-tenths of whom are moaners who only put our otherwise world-beating players off..

Strikers cost money etc etc .

Keep the Faith.

Seriously - what is your problem?? Reading this thread, enjoying peoples memories of a great player, and suddenly you jump in whith an utterly irrelevant post attacking our current set up??

Stop dreaming??? You really do not get the romance of football at all do you... part of being a football supporter is reliving the great days we have had in the past... we are under no illusions that a player such as Wylde would be out of reach for us nowadys... it doesnt stop us imaging him playing now, and what he would be like in a current side....

Can I just apologise from all fans who sometimes like to discuss the past.... obviously it is irrelevant during this current 'crisis', when as you have so forcefully pointed out recently that there is no chance whatsover of this club ever showing any ambition... I mean, who ever heard of giving a manager time, and he might put together a decent side over a few years, without spending the world...*

*oh.. sorry forgot, what has happened in the past is utterly pointless. Just get out your chequebook TTA

Tis indeed true; from my memory

Andy Lochead

David Shaw

Stevie Taylor

Vic Halom

Simon Stainrod

Rodger Wylde

Roger Palmer

Ron Futcher

Mickey Quinn

Tommy Wright

Andy Ritchie

Chris Porter ? Arguably

Were all forwards that were signed to replace an outgoing sale and became real favourites. Unfortunatly as is stated that well seems to have run dry over the last twenty years.

Without cheating can anyone tell me the club Wylde was sold to and his next club after that ?

Another thing, does anyone remember Rodger coming back to BP ? I can't but assume he must have done ?

Tis indeed true; from my memory

Andy Lochead

David Shaw

Stevie Taylor

Vic Halom

Simon Stainrod

Rodger Wylde

Roger Palmer

Ron Futcher

Mickey Quinn

Tommy Wright

Andy Ritchie

Chris Porter ? Arguably

Were all forwards that were signed to replace an outgoing sale and became real favourites. Unfortunatly as is stated that well seems to have run dry over the last twenty years.

Without cheating can anyone tell me the club Wylde was sold to and his next club after that ?

Another thing, does anyone remember Rodger coming back to BP ? I can't but assume he must have done ?

Agree with all of the above (possible exception of Porter). What about Alan Young? Frankie Bunn? Personal favourites were Ritchie, Stainrod, Palmer and Wilde (and Quinn). Infact, i also liked Halom, and the much maligned Ron Futcher - Royle described him as deceptively slow!!!

Loved all of them.

Then there were the stikers who didn't quite cut it.Hmmm. McGarvey, Parkin, Banger, Currie (talented lazy S$%t -i'm still fuming about that Schmichel (can't spell) incident.

Agree with all of the above (possible exception of Porter). What about Alan Young? Frankie Bunn? Personal favourites were Ritchie, Stainrod, Palmer and Wilde (and Quinn). Infact, i also liked Halom, and the much maligned Ron Futcher - Royle described him as deceptively slow!!!

Loved all of them.

Then there were the stikers who didn't quite cut it.Hmmm. McGarvey, Parkin, Banger, Currie (talented lazy S$%t -i'm still fuming about that Schmichel (can't spell) incident.

You make some interesting points there and have reminded me about Alan Young (do you remember the Chaddy End slaughtering him on his return with Leicester ? Although he still managed to score).

Yes, I am still fuming about Currie bottling it and also the challenge by Aizlewood, away at Leeds, on Frank which more or less ended his career. In the same game Iain Baird was gobbing at Cecere; absolutely disgusting and totally in keeping with that club !

I suppose Cecere didnt quite cut it, although I really liked him, added to that list Doug Anderson, Matthew Tipton, Ben Burgess, John McGinlay (Shame as injury free I believe he could have been affective) and £225 000 rated Allan Smart !!