Second time around...

Something I read about Allott made me think of what a Sheff Utd fan once said to me: "It never works out when a player comes back to the club he used to play for"

As I've only been to 3 matches over Xmas/New Year I haven't seen enough of Allott this season to judge him (- though he was fantastic at Leeds and I was gutted he didn't get that "killer" 4th goal for us in the 2nd half. ) But I've read many people say he is easily our Player of the Season.

Anyway, what do you think - is it a good idea or not to bring back a past player to Latics and if so, who was the best for us?

I can't remember Tricky Ricky Holden's second spell for us being that great - but he had a lot to live up to.

I remember John Ryan and Paul Atkinson being very good players with us first time around before they got sold off to Newcastle and Watford. Both players returned to us and they just didnt seem the same again.

Could it be something to do with the price tag if any involved

you know we sell a player on for x thousand, he comes back for whatever reason, and then the crowd are baying for blood as soon as he makes a mistake as "he must be good as we got £xx for him" so the player in question is in the spotlight sooner.

whereas with allot, 99% of the fanbase thought he was :censored:, so wrote him off before he came, turns out he is not so bad this could be due to the pressure being off him from day one as he has been written off?

Could it be something to do with the price tag if any involved

you know we sell a player on for x thousand, he comes back for whatever reason, and then the crowd are baying for blood as soon as he makes a mistake as "he must be good as we got £xx for him" so the player in question is in the spotlight sooner.

whereas with allot, 99% of the fanbase thought he was :censored:, so wrote him off before he came, turns out he is not so bad this could be due to the pressure being off him from day one as he has been written off?

I think Allot was not rated by many because in his previous time at the club he was a used as a striker.

Neil Adams still did the biz during god-awful times for us. I don't agree with the "don't go back" tag one bit. I think it's a precurser usually for the person saying it so that they can then say "see, told ya so!" when the odds are that fans will never see them as the same player as they fondly remember. And follow up with "he should never have come back." The only real disaster we've had, to my memory, was Goram but that was more down to fitness and the stupidity of throwing him after bringing him in the night before, than lost ability IMO.

Neil Adams still did the biz during god-awful times for us. I don't agree with the "don't go back" tag one bit. I think it's a precurser usually for the person saying it so that they can then say "see, told ya so!" when the odds are that fans will never see them as the same player as they fondly remember. And follow up with "he should never have come back." The only real disaster we've had, to my memory, was Goram but that was more down to fitness and the stupidity of throwing him after bringing him in the night before, than lost ability IMO.

Goram! Good one. I meant to say can anyone think of the best OR worst. Goram's failed return takes some beating...

Goram! Good one. I meant to say can anyone think of the best OR worst. Goram's failed return takes some beating...

goram is the classic one.

dont recall milligan ripping up tress second time round,but maybe wrong.

the thing with allott,is that he was a striker,and not a very good one,he has completely changed his game and postion and has been outstanding this season.

only other one i can think of is kilkenny,

I still think if you asked some Latics fans from that era to name an all time Latics XI they'd have Goram in

Don't get me wrong, he was a strong contender for my favourite player back then. It's just that nowadays I'd put him in a very large George Foreman Lean Mean Grilling Machine so that his dripping fat didn't make a mess of the bonfire I'd put him on afterwards.

Nothing will better the disaster of Goram, brilliant in his first spell here and totally embarassing in his second.

That's the sad thing. A lot of people who saw him on his return were too young to see him the first time round. IMO easily the best keeper we've ever had, which when you think of the likes of Hallworth, Gerrard, Kelly and even Pogs is a pretty high standard.

His reputation was tarnished big time after his return. Christ, even the pitch tilted when he stepped on it.

I believe Goram was having a pint with Mr Branson in Euston station a few days ago :)

I wouldn't doubt it.

I've said it before, but I will never get over one Goram incident. He had been missing on one of his 5 week benders when he was meant to be meeting up with the Scotland squad for one of the major tournaments, early-mid 90s (there were strong rumours about what had set him off but I'm not repeating them here :shock: ), and all the press were after him. Then, a lass I was at Uni with at the time came back from a hen party in Blackpool, and with a picture of her on a sofa in some minging club with Goram on one side and Five Bellies on the other. Apparently it was coincidence that those two were there at the same time as well. I was begging her to let me sell it to the Daily Hun, but she wouldn't...