Shez in v Shez out

So here I am, England are playing which not too long ago would have had me at the game if it was at home or glued to the TV if away, and I am posting on here not even interested in the slightest.

Maybe it is due to the general malaise that the game seems to be in to the fans of many lower league clubs, but I am getting bored of all of it.

So I am taking an opportunity to solve the biggest question that has been asked on this board for the last few months.

Look deep inside yourselves folks and be honest about your replies.

All this Shez in v Shez out to and fro-ing, let us take it to a different level.

Imagine for a moment that Shez had no previous connection with the club, like Moore didn't; what would you say then inners and outers?

I actually said when we were in the pub before we left for Donny, that if it wasn't Shez I think I would have wanted him out such has been the paucity in performance this season. Though as it is Shez (who is a legend in my book) he still has at least a seasons worth of rope left before he hangs himself.

Too many poor performances, and yes there may be extenuous circumstances re injuries, but it has been poor for the majority of the 07/08 season.

We have been left behind forever to ply our trade in the bottom two divisions IMO.

Football is a dying sport.

KtF,

Derek.

So here I am, England are playing which not too long ago would have had me at the game if it was at home or glued to the TV if away, and I am posting on here not even interested in the slightest.

Maybe it is due to the general malaise that the game seems to be in to the fans of many lower league clubs, but I am getting bored of all of it.

So I am taking an opportunity to solve the biggest question that has been asked on this board for the last few months.

All this Shez in v Shez out to and fro-ing, let us take it to a different level.

Imagine for a moment that Shez had no previous connection with the club, like Moore didn't; what would you say then inners and outers?

I actually said when we were in the pub before we left for Donny, that if it wasn't Shez I think I would have wanted him out such has been the paucity in performance this season. Though as it is Shez (who is a legend in my book) he still has at least a seasons worth of rope left before he hangs himself.

Too many poor performances, and yes there may be extenuous circumstances re injuries, but it has been poor for the majority of the 07/08 season.

We have been left behind forever to ply our trade in the bottom two divisions IMO.

KtF,

Derek.

Dosent make a difference to me.....I never for a moment thought Ritchie was the right person for the job and was happy when he left.....

Shez I feel is the right man for the job...

Think the seasons worth of rope is true. Even the harshest critic would have to conceed the injuries have made a big difference BUT assuming things improve on the injury front I honestly believe it will be Summer 2009 when Shez can be judged to have had enough time. Anything less than a top 6 finish then would be frustrating and time to review the situation. Many a fine footballer have failed to become very good managers and whilst Shez is still learning still a doubt in my mind that if he was a huge success he would end up at the Wendies or Leeds at our expense soon after.

Pretty much agree with that.

Think Shez should have til Spring 09 - if by that time we're nowhere near the Play Offs I would expect TTA to start seeking his sucessor.

I do like the way the team play at times under Shez - good passing, attacking football which is rarity at this level....only problem is it seems to have become a rarity at Oldham of late as has the ability to win games.

Might be some truth in this, the boat well and truely sailed after we got relegated from the prem.

Take tonight for instance, we lost to a poor French side but the majority of the country won't have seen the players come up short. Once the weekend comes round again these players will be held up to be the best thing since sliced bread and the sheep will buy the third replica kit.

The lower end of the professional game is certainly dying, give it 3-5 years and League 2 will be semi-professional another couple after that and League 1 will be too.

KtF,

Derek.

Want my opinion on it? Lol....nah, maybe not :grin:

KtF,

Derek.

I have to agree with you there Derek IMO the chance to get out of this division was the Dowie playoff season when we along with a few other teams had some genuine quality...obviously bankrolled by that Chris Moore. If we had of gone up that season I couldnt of seen us go back down with a lot of poor teams in the Championship.

I am firmly in the Shez in camp because i am fed up of seeing manager after manager go through the revoliving door of BP. We massively overacheived last season i believe. We had a good starting XI but in all honesty a crap squad, and i dont think that many fans truley realise how much we would miss Wellens and Porter. In Wellens we had someone who could dominate the midfield at times and as he was always an outlet for the ball. If we had kept him I am sure he and Allott would have formed a brilliant partnership. In Porter we had a true goalscorer who could bundle in goals off his arse, he may have missed a lot of chances but like all good strikers he was there to miss them we dont really have that now.

Again this season i think we had the players to put out a fairly good starting XI when fully fit but again we have had a crap squad. And without Wellens we just cant control games like we could last season. We just dont have the experience in reserve to mount a serious promotion push over the whole season, we have had to rely on extremely inexperienced kids to get us through with a sprinkling of loan players...which IMO is why Shez is doing a good job at keeping us in the top half.

What this season has allowed us to do is therefore get these kids much valued experience which we can build on next year if we manage to strengthen in the right areas with experience in the summer which is why Shez should stay at least for one more season.

However if we dont attract the players, we have to remember as fans that we are no longer a big club. We have the 6th worst attendances in the division i think. It is hard for a club like ours to attract players of real quality when competing with the likes of Doncaster, Leeds, Carlisle, Forest and probably Sheffield Wednesday next year. And despite what people might say BP is turning into a morgue full of moaners ready to jump on the players and managers backs at every oppourtunity.

I think if our club is to succeed again in the future (unless there is a sudden influx of fans) we need to adopt a small club mentality and try and get behind the team through thick and thin, making it enjoyable to come to BP even if the football on show is not always great. Its all very well us older ones moaning but you have to remember what gets the new young fans through the door pestering to come again. When i first came when I was 8 or 9 it wasnt the quality of football on offer (we were in the top division at the time and i often couldnt see over people on the terraces) it was the whole atmosphere of going to the football that i enjoyed. Now i know that atmospheres have been stiffled etc by stadiums becoming all seater etc but i dont think coming to BP has ever been as dire an experience as it is becoming at the moment. By this i mean there is a genuine air of negativity at BP which I havent experienced before in my 17 or so years of watching Oldham.

If Shez does go and we get a new man im scared of what happens if the new man does badly, does he get sacked as well? will attendances drop even further. It might be a worse case scenario but if this was to happen how long would it be before we dropped into the basement division. Maybe its time we re-evaluate what kind of club we are supporting and re-evaluate our expectations because for a club of our size we are talking about getting rid of a manager who is keeping us in the top half of the table with a team full of kids, not a bad achievement. Of course i want promotion, but i can never see this happening until we have some form of consistancy in terms of the management so they can really get things right.

Waffle over:)

Not our job to decide... both sides of the debate have valid points... not our job to decide so leave it to the men who's job it is, we aint got a clue what goes on behind the scenes so why dont we just graciously agree to disagree and get on with supporting the team we all love... :OWTB1:

KtF,

Derek.

If shez had no previous connections to the club I would still be saying the same thing keep him thought the same about Moore, only a handful of managers ever get out of this league on 1st or 2nd season.

We will be plying our trade in the bottom 2 divsions eternally if we keep chopping and changing the manager, If we stick with one and give ourselves stability we have a lot better chance of not doing so.

If shez had no previous connections to the club I would still be saying the same thing keep him thought the same about Moore, only a handful of managers ever get out of this league on 1st or 2nd season.

We will be plying our trade in the bottom 2 divsions eternally if we keep chopping and changing the manager, If we stick with one and give ourselves stability we have a lot better chance of not doing so.

2007-2008

Swansea - Currently First (Will be champions) Current Manager in took over 2007

Carlisle - Currently Second (looking strong to go up) Current manager took over 2007

2006-2007

Scunthorpe - 06-07 Champions became manager 2006

Blackpool - Playoff winners - became manager November 2005

Bristol City - second place - Summer 2005

Id call in the last 2 season 5 teams who have or are more than likely to go up, their manager has had only 1 full season in charge bar bristol who had 2 full season... more than a handfull...

I think your looking too much into the premiership were generally experience counts for everything! we are in league 1 and the above speaks for itself..

Edited by Davros

Both Carlisle and Scunthorpe got promoted on the back of the previous managers work.

Next you will be telling me JS got where he did because of Ronnies effors.... (just saying it before someone else does) this could go on till this time next year.... this could go on and on!

2007-2008

Swansea - Currently First (Will be champions) Current Manager in took over 2007

Carlisle - Currently Second (looking strong to go up) Current manager took over 2007

2006-2007

Scunthorpe - 06-07 Champions became manager 2006

Blackpool - Playoff winners - became manager November 2005

Bristol City - second place - Summer 2005

Id call in the last 2 season 5 teams who have or are more than likely to go up, their manager has had only 1 full season in charge bar bristol who had 2 full season... more than a handfull...

I think your looking too much into the premiership were generally experience counts for everything! we are in league 1 and the above speaks for itself..

OK then would you also care to give me the name of every team and manager that has failed to win promotion in their first/second season....

Of course the majority of teams that get promoted are going to have managers that have only been at the club a season or two because believe it or not every club in the lower divisions is chopping and changing their managers every couple of seasons!

OK then would you also care to give me the name of every team and manager that has failed to win promotion in their first/second season....

Of course the majority of teams that get promoted are going to have managers that have only been at the club a season or two because believe it or not every club in the lower divisions is chopping and changing their managers every couple of seasons!

your missing the context in which the message was written... i was basically stating that to chop and change managers would not essentially mean you wont go - or you cant go up! Which is obviously balls!! I was stating that this cant be used as an excuse to keep failing managers... (before anyone starts i dont mean that in our situation as you will find if you read a previous message of mine on the same thread) Jeez