Stam - is he on his way?

Hopefully, Makes too many mistakes even for this level ( :blink: ) Hazell is twice the player, and hardly ever makes mistakes. Doe's anyone know where Hazell came from aswell or was it through the youth ranks? :grin:

He came from Chesterfield before he was released. I think we should keep Stam maybe be just as backup but he is a good addition to the squad.

No mention of stam on the OS, in the bison, or on sky sports news (exciting Latics mention in the news section!)

Dont think even Shez would be as tactless to forget about stam in his statement if there wasnt some fire to back up the smoke.... think it make sense really... again, i wish Stammy would be the player he could be, however he scares me senseless with his constant concentration lapses... but hey ho, we are in division 3...

.. sure he will happily find his level... probably the Dutch Premier league!

It comes as a surprise to me, but I've been told Stam had a clause in his contract that if he got 25 games in this season he got a new contract. Hope so. Thing is, I don't know any more than that and it might just be "a contract" rather than another one on the same terms. If so, then it could become a case of "doing a Haining on him"....whereby offering something way short of what we know he'll accept.

I hope we keep him, yes he has been sloppy but he's also been guaranteed a place in the team because of our injury problems. If places are competitive next season that ought to improve his performances, we know what's he's capable of and I'd like to keep him in the squad....because that's what we need, a squad of players, we have to look beyond the first team. Gregan and Rubes would be my first pairing at the back for next season, Stam on the bench wouldn't be bad at all.

Shez needs to extend Davies' contract at the end of the season....him and Hughes are gonna have a stormer next season and Davies is out of contract at the end of next season., and we've been here before. If he's banged in around 15 goals by January and other clubs come sniffing around then we're stuffed, we'll have to sell and that could mess up our campaign.

And people go on about Eardley being a young international....Davies is only 22 and has 4 Welsh caps. I hope we can get Davies secured for another season or two on top of his current deal.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I'd like him to stay, definitely. He hasn't actually made that many mistakes this season, and has been a very consistent player. If we're on about Stam's concentration, let's have a dig at Gregan's. However, I won't do that, 'cause Gregan is a good player, and does more good than bad... same with Stam. The level of criticism for Stam could quite easily work both ways with Gregan.

He's had a settled season, Stammy has, and it shows.

I'd like him to stay, definitely. He hasn't actually made that many mistakes this season, and has been a very consistent player. If we're on about Stam's concentration, let's have a dig at Gregan's. However, I won't do that, 'cause Gregan is a good player, and does more good than bad... same with Stam. The level of criticism for Stam could quite easily work both ways with Gregan.

He's had a settled season, Stammy has, and it shows.

you can have a dig at who ya like but this is about stam.

i would indeed keep him but only as back up.

yes he has just played virtually a full season,and managed to stay fit,but he makes at least one mistake a game,and usually it leads to something against us.

his concentration leves havent really inproved since he came here,when at first he wasnt guarenteed a place.

if he has a clause in his contract fair does,but the club as has been said do a haining on him if they want rid,and im guessing stam is one of the players shez is talking about when he says they wont listen.

there is better out there,rubes proved that.

Guest oa_exile

Spot on Ed !

That is also my thinking as on the ongoing JJ thread.

If we seriously want to compete next season should we looking at better players availability than what we have now and back track from there.

We are discussing on different threads about players at the Club as "Back Up" so no pressure on the starting 11 then :blink:

Think we need to have a good look at the availabilty when the transfer window opens before we sign or re-sign "Back Up" players.

I personally think that Stam's injuries have meant he is always in fear of breaking down again, so he cant really ever give 100%, he just doesnt quite look the player he used to be. Still like to have him signed on though as if he was back up it would be good back up and the makings of a strong bench.

Guest oa_exile

Spot on Ed !

If we seriously want to compete next season should we looking at better players availability than what we have now and back track from there.

if he was back up it would be good back up ...

So you dont think there is anything better out there ? or we can try to improve the squad ? :blink:

Guest sheridans_world
So you dont think there is anything better out there ? or we can try to improve the squad ? :blink:

I think thats what he is saying. Stam is one of the best we have at the moment to relegate him to the bench and find better is improving the squad as we will have Stam as a good back-up defender.

The amount of suspensions/injuries(Gregan now especially) defenders get we cant afford to let Stam go, even if he only starts 10 games, he may come on as sub in a further 15 games. You never know. Stammy is a good player to have on the bench, yes there is better out there but the better player should be on the pitch!

I agree Stam hasn't been the same player as he was at the start of last season but in no way is he a bad centre-back at this level and I would definately look to keep him at the club. If anything I'd love to see Thompson leave, he's just not impressed me at all this season. But with Shez saying he's going to make tough decisions this summer I think Stam leaving would be the harder decision to make than to get rid of Thompson.

I do think there is berrer out there yes and i do think we can improve the squad!

Do you not think having good players as back up improves the squad and makes it better? :blink:

Edited by wozz_oafc

I do think there is berrer out there yes and i do think we can improve the squad!

Do you not think having good players as back up improves the squad and makes it better? :blink:

of course having decent back up players makes the squad more solid,but the thing is in this day and age players dont want to warm a bench and always think they are better than what they actually are.so therefor clubs invariably end up putting kids on the bench.

i would offer him a 12 month deal,and if we did sign a better class of player use him from the bench.i just dont think he warrants another big deal.......same goes for gary mac as well in my opinion

of course having decent back up players makes the squad more solid,but the thing is in this day and age players dont want to warm a bench and always think they are better than what they actually are.so therefor clubs invariably end up putting kids on the bench.

i would offer him a 12 month deal,and if we did sign a better class of player use him from the bench.i just dont think he warrants another big deal.......same goes for gary mac as well in my opinion

I agree, as Shez has said on many occasions Mcdonald is a model pro, Liddell encourages and talks to the kids and they are good players to have around the club, but to get out of this division we need consistent players who can do the business ON the pitch week in week out.

Mcdonald on the bench for me, and Liddell would be a squad player at best.

If we don't get the 3 or 4 quality players needed to add to this squad then we'll be in the same situation come next May.

I know it's hard to get top players to this club on our budget but we need that midfield playmaker and/or another winger.

We have to really have a go next season.

We simply have to be challenging by Christmas time otherwise it's going to be very very difficult to keep the likes of Davies and Hughes at the club during the transfer window.

I love that line....you mean the player that we were lucky to get as he seemed to be going elsewhere but as he was injured, wasn't offered a contract and we took a massive gamble on. A player we got in, weeks into a season we'd started so poorly and in desperate need for someone to replace someone like Thompson.

My point being, incase it's been missed, is that no I don't think that there is much out there in our range with the quality you mean. We got fairly lucky that Rubes worked out and it was a lot through chance. While in Stam, we know what we'll get. I agree we need to bring in another solid defender but finding that one in our range will be extremely difficult. And in the meantime, Stam is excellent back up and saying "there's better out there" is quite throwaway IMO.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I love that line....you mean the player that we were lucky to get as he seemed to be going elsewhere but as he was injured, wasn't offered a contract and we took a massive gamble on. A player we got in, weeks into a season we'd started so poorly and in desperate need for someone to replace someone like Thompson.

My point being, incase it's been missed, is that no I don't think that there is much out there in our range with the quality you mean. We got fairly lucky that Rubes worked out and it was a lot through chance. While in Stam, we know what we'll get. I agree we need to bring in another solid defender but finding that one in our range will be extremely difficult. And in the meantime, Stam is excellent back up and saying "there's better out there" is quite throwaway IMO.

we shall have to wait and see who shez brings in then wont we,i wasnt saying stam wasnt worthy of another contract,he has proved this season he can stay fit,however he is prone to a minimum of one mistake a game,and i dont think you can deny he isnt,i was merely saying he isnt worth risking another 3 year deal on,i would offer him a 12 month extension,and if shez could find another defender in the same mould as rubes he would be back up

to say there isnt anybody out there better than stam in our price range is ridiculas.....come the end of the season there will be players up for grabs all over the leagues,and im sure we will find a decent one amongst them.

Still makes me laugh when I think back to the day we signed Hazell that so many people on this board wrote him off instantly - "Not good enough for Chesterfield" "Why are we signing a centre-back", "Trannies think he is rubbish"..etc..etc.. I hope there is enough humble pie to go round now we know a little more about the player and what he has brought to Latics.

Rubes has been a revelation this season and will be one of the first names on the team sheet come August but he too makes mistakes, I can think of at least one goal that was directly as a result of him fannying about with the ball rather than doing the simple thing, but this is what you get at this level.

I have been very disappointed with Stam this season, defensively he hasn't been as good as he was last season but what has disappointed me more has been his use of the ball. Our once cultured defender has turned in to a hoof merchant, we are not talking about 50 yard balls to feet either, more like 'ave it style wellie it and hope for the best. He can do so much better, we have all seen it which is what makes it so upsetting when I see him launch another ball on to the top of an oppo defenders head or out for a thrown in.

But I would still offer him a contract and hope, like all our players that he has a good summer break, relaxes, mulls the season over and comes back in good shape, puts the work, gets a full pre-season under his belt and hits the ground running and re-captures his distribution that was once his biggest asset. To be fair to the lad he wasn't helped this season by the bloke on his left changing a few times, the only regular left back he had was Bertrand, then he had to start again when Lomax took over. The whole defense has been pretty unsettled all season with only Eardley been a constant member, this is bound to have a detrimental effect on any player.

Keep him. He isn't as good as when he first joined us, but his injuries (and confidence) may have taken their toll. I actually think that sometimes it looks like it's his fault but he has been exposed by the lack of cover from midfield. The defense hasn't been that bad this season and he would still be useful cover.