Djeny Bembo-Leta

Just in the butty shop and in the Daily Mirror they've got "Manchester United are set to snap up Oldham's youth striker Djeny Bembo-Leta for 250k".

I'd read before a couple of sides were after him but none of them were United. Looks like we'll be losing another one before they leave school. Sell on clauses at the ready.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

250k for an unproved kid sell sell sell,no one can guarentee they could make it in the pro game so take tha cash

life is all about gambles.

another way could be he makes it through the ranks at latics,fires in a shed load of goals,gets us out of this division,puts extra zeros on his value and bingo-a mega mega wad.

why sell asap?

If true I'd go with sell.

The lad will want to go to United. If possible we could try for a sell on clause. There's no guarantees he will amount to anything. It would raise the profile further of our youth set up which has seen our youths progress to Man City, Chelsea and Everton already. This can only help to attract quality young players to the club. Stand in their way and it might not help in that aspect.

If true I'd go with sell.

The lad will want to go to United. If possible we could try for a sell on clause. There's no guarantees he will amount to anything. It would raise the profile further of our youth set up which has seen our youths progress to Man City, Chelsea and Everton already. This can only help to attract quality young players to the club. Stand in their way and it might not help in that aspect.

Jackpot.

We obviously have a decent setup at youth level and are picking up talent that the bigger clubs are missing out on. I'll happily take 250k not to mention the clauses that can be added.

As you say, this in turn attracts talent to the club.

Must be something in it. A back page of Ronaldinho to City sells papers. A snippet about a kid from Oldham in the back pages won't :wink:

Guest oa_exile
so you suggest we become a feeder club for the big boys to survive?

no thanks.

Bit surprised you are saying that Johnny , it's always been that way , right offer and we will always sell.

Bit surprised you are saying that Johnny , it's always been that way , right offer and we will always sell.

isn't it time to break the habit then?

all we'll do if we just keep selling kids is become a recognised youth set for the big boys to cherry pick.

we've seen results already over the last few seasons with kids coming through,lets stick with it eh.

so you suggest we become a feeder club for the big boys to survive?

no thanks.

It earns us far more in the long term. OS makes a very valid point. If we start to hold these youngsters back when the big clubs come knocking we'll get a reputation for doing so. Word has got round we have a good youth setup. Kids know if they do well for us there is a chance they will be spotted by clubs at a higher level. In some cases the wiser ones have chosen us over bigger clubs too knowing the chance of first team football is higher too.

Guest oa_exile
isn't it time to break the habit then?

all we'll do if we just keep selling kids is become a recognised youth set for the big boys to cherry pick.

we've seen results already over the last few seasons with kids coming through,lets stick with it eh.

I wish we could mate but as long as I have followed the Latics we have always been a selling club.

Unfortunatly the Club has to balance the books and transfers does just that.

It earns us far more in the long term. OS makes a very valid point. If we start to hold these youngsters back when the big clubs come knocking we'll get a reputation for doing so. Word has got round we have a good youth setup. Kids know if they do well for us there is a chance they will be spotted by clubs at a higher level. In some cases the wiser ones have chosen us over bigger clubs too knowing the chance of first team football is higher too.

so whats the main objective of this club-getting out of this division or selling home grown kids to just keep going?

theres a 2 way look to this situation-i agree £250 grand is a nice amount,but if the scum want him now,make them pay huge time now-add ons to tranfers are all well and good,but it can work against us.

just because its gonna pay with richards doesn't mean it'll pay again and again.

for every ultra success like richards,i'll show you loads more who just drifted back to obsurity.

It really is a risk with players at that age - and I think I'd rather let rich clubs take it.

We keep them and they may not develop any further than Div 3 standard and we get very little for them (plus costs in the meantime). Let them go for £250K or thereabouts plus sell or appearance bonus etc, and we are the beneficiaries.

Great talent at 16/17 just doesn't necessarily convert into great talent a few years on.

Guest oa_exile
It really is a risk with players at that age - and I think I'd rather let rich clubs take it.

We keep them and they may not develop any further than Div 3 standard and we get very little for them (plus costs in the meantime). Let them go for £250K or thereabouts plus sell or appearance bonus etc, and we are the beneficiaries.

Great talent at 16/17 just doesn't necessarily convert into great talent a few years on.

just because its gonna pay with richards doesn't mean it'll pay again and again.

for every ultra success like richards,i'll show you loads more who just drifted back to obsurity.

.......and that is why we will ALWAYS sell as we cannot afford to take the risk and we need cash coming in as attendances , sponsorship , etc alone will not balance the books.

And if Leta becomes one of those we're down £250k. Its a lot in this division - look at the fees we paid for Allot and Davies.

I would ask more though in this case, as well as some good loanees being sent our way. Leta does look to have a bright future and considering what United pay some of their players I cant imagine us failing to get a sizeable sum if we really stuck to our guns.

Although we 'hate' Man U and consider them 'rivals' whilst we are stuck in these doldrums we should endeavor to build relationships with the likes of these clubs - it is silly to not do!

so whats the main objective of this club-getting out of this division or selling home grown kids to just keep going?

theres a 2 way look to this situation-i agree £250 grand is a nice amount,but if the scum want him now,make them pay huge time now-add ons to tranfers are all well and good,but it can work against us.

Of course. Spencer being one. He was sold for 250k two years back. He's developed no further and just had an unsuccessful loan spell with Macc Town.

Losing one a season is annoying but in turn this helps keep the youth setup running and enables us to bring through another five players each season, I'll take it.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

.......and that is why we will ALWAYS sell as we cannot afford to take the risk and we need cash coming in as attendances , sponsorship , etc alone will not balance the books.

drifted in obsurity-as in never got anywhere near the big boys first team,did the on-loan circuit for a few seasons then end up at shrewsbury forever amen-a potential talent gone.

We did very well out of the Scott Spencer deal seeing as he's now struggling to get on the Macc bench after being told he had no future at Everton whilst also failing to impress at Yeovil.

£250K is alot of money for untested young players, the sort you can't turn down.

Absolutely agree - e.g. whatever happened to the young lad we sold to Everton?

Of course. Spencer being one. He was sold for 250k two years back. He's developed no further and just had an unsuccessful loan spell with Macc Town.

Of course losing one a season is annoying but in turn this helps keep the youth setup running and enables us to bring through another five players each season, I'll take it.

on reflection(and i never saw spencer play,so i'm unsure as to how talented he was)do you think spencer regrets the day he agreed to go to everton?

all downhill from there.

do you think if he'd stayed at latics,his career may still be on track?

babysteps on the career progression instead of a tasty signing on fee,being dumped into a higher level of profesional players he's used to,and the confidence goes.

i can understand it from the "club needs the cash" point of view,but i'm just looking at it from a different angle.

Interview with Alessandra in the programme a while back.

They'd both been banging the goals in. Gets to Christmas and over the youth team break Lewis gets injured. Then comes back and has a quiet couple of months. In that time Spencer is scoring and before he knew it a deal was fixed and he was off to Everton.

Got the feeling reading it that Lewis believes he was the better of the two and just got injured at the wrong time. Looking now, Lewis has a three year deal with Latics and has made good progress in his first pro year. Meanwhile Spencer is to leave Everton with nothing lined up. I guess Spencer wasn't expecting it to turn out the way it has. In a similar way, I doubt Lewis would have turned down the opportunity though.

Maybe it'll act as a slight deterrent. Then again you see the progress and England recognition Philliskirk has received and it puts a different slant on it for them.

Also spoke to Philliskirk way back last summer and he'd called the England Youth setup and invited them to Latics to watch some youth training sessions. No response to his request. A few weeks after Daniel signs for Chelsea he is called up to an England tournament. He hadn't even trained with Chelsea yet. Nothing at all had changed with his football ability.. He'd finished with Latics and was waiting for Chelsea to start pre season. Again another possible factor in young players decisions.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

"For every ultra success like Richards, I'll show you loads more who just drifted back to obscurity"

Unfortunately,that is exactly why a club like ourselves has to sell. If we got 20,000 in the ground every week then we wouldn't have to sell are young talent...we just have to treat it as another income stream.

A Promising player at 16 doesn't mean to say at 21 he'll be worth millions. Teams like Man U can buy players like that every week and if they don't quite make it at premier level then we get them back....probably for nowt!

We got 250k from Everton for Spencer and you've never heard his name mentioned since.

If he had stayed here he could have ended up like Wolfenden who's probably about to be released.

If this Leta guy does go to OT then we'll have raked in £750,000 in 3 seasons...alot of other clubs would love a youth conveyor belt like ours and a greater fear is that with his record, Tony Philliskirk could also be poached sooner rather than later.

Interview with Alessandra in the programme a while back.

They'd both been banging the goals in. Gets to Christmas and over the youth team break Lewis gets injured. Then comes back and has a quiet couple of months. In that time Spencer is scoring and before he knew it a deal was fixed and he was off to Everton.

Got the feeling reading it that Lewis believes he was the better of the two and just got injured at the wrong time. Looking now, Lewis has a three year deal with Latics and has made good progress in his first pro year. Meanwhile Spencer is to leave Everton with nothing lined up. I guess Spencer wasn't expecting it to turn out the way it has. In a similar way, I doubt Lewis would have turned down the opportunity though.

Maybe it'll act as a slight deterrent. Then again you see the progress and England recognition Philliskirk has received and it puts a different slant on it for them.

thats my point.

how many kids have actually got through the ranks at manu,liverpool,chelski etc over the last 4 years?

the talent is there,unfortunatly money talks and young kids just see £££ instead of their future..

then when they can't make that final step up,they end up on the footballing scrapheap of"could have beens" instead furthering themselves the way via smaller clubs.

a vicious circle.