TTA "HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT"

To be quite honest whilst I appreciate everything TTA have done for the club I am sick of Corney and his negative whining!

I dont see what he is trying to achieve with those comments apart from alienate the same supporters that he is trying to win over

I dont think we would get anywhere near 10000 in the championship

Even when we were in the premier league towards the end, when we were playing the lesser teams like swindon,winbledon we werent hitting 10000, and there is a lot less incentive top go to football these days than there was then

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well put Nikki ....Imagine Joe Public (part time or past supporter) and his Chron dropping through the door tonight. Reads this and thinks here we go again no REAL ambition, not going to sign anyone unless on the cheap, teams budget will be cut. UNLIKELY TO DO OWT NEXT SEASON if this the case. That season ticket ain't being bought. I'll see how they go on first and pay on the day IF THEY DO WELL. Will sit at home if they don't.

SC is missing the whole history of watching latics. Build up an interest get a gate in and fluff the script. It has happened for many, many years. Drop points to so called struggling teams. Win against the better sides. Thats why the pinch me seasons where that. Because Latics didn't follow the script. To win back fans NOW with SKY, Bosmans and Agents needs very positive marketing. Latics are and have been dire at this. The prospect of the new ground SHOULD BE A MASSIVE incentive to go and watch a winning team. BUT with these silly ill judged moments from SC the goal becomes more difficult to achieve. TTA are heros for Latics but need to understand the price of a ticket is not the simple answer to the problem. Success on the pitch is the prime way to increase attendance and a cultural change of positivity needs nurturing. Even Norms well meant we have to take a player we can afford rather than one we want is damaging in my opinion. This says we are skint and scraping the barrel. It also says to the player ..hey mate you aren't our first choice but you come cheap.

Come on Latics you can do better than this. PLEASE

It doesnt help that the guy who took over from Sean Jarvis is like Casper, I havent heard anything from him apart from when it was announced he had took the job. What the hell does he actually do?

Edited by Butter

I dont think we would get anywhere near 10000 in the championship

Even when we were in the premier league towards the end, when we were playing the lesser teams like swindon,winbledon we werent hitting 10000, and there is a lot less incentive top go to football these days than there was then

yes we were pulling in crowds that in todays age look quite poor but football is massively more popular as a spectator sport now than it was then. In the two Premier League seasons we were 21st out of 22nd teams but in this day and age that would be in the Wigan/Portsmouth bracket - knocking on for 20k a match.

Sick as in glad to see the back of him?

Or will you put up with your "sick" as long as he is , along with the other two, putting hundreds of thousands of pounds into our cl;ub?

A couple of points:

A) we don't know if this is a statement issued or a response to a question.

B. Negative whining! Let's ignore the positive like statements about not walking away, money for the team every year, plans for improving the ground, etc etc. I'd hate to see your response to someone who didn't do anything for the club1

He's part owner of a club that has had little backing from the community whether formally, as in the council, or informally as in the paying public. If that's not disappointing then what is?

Uncomfortable it may be, but his statement is fair.

Too many people in Oldham look for an excuse not too come to Bp. I accept that means the club (and us the hard core supporters) have to work as hard as we can to get them to turn up , but if SC wants to wring his hands every so often , fair play to him.

I see that according to the unscientific poll on here about 12% of ST holders are saying they won't renew . What do they want? A guarantee of promotion?

I voted that I won't renew, that's not because I don't want to watch the club anymore but with my job it's just not possible to go to every game anymore. Corney has every right to be hugely disappointed with the attendances, he alone has done so much for the club but perhaps this wasn't the way to voice it? It was probably meant as a warning to the fans that more needs to be done if we want a club capable of getting into the Championship.

It doesnt help that the guy who took over from Sean Jarvis is like Casper, I havent heard anything from him apart from when it was announced he had took the job. What the hell does he actually do?

Spot on. I think he organises Pie and Pea suppers. That's all I've heard really.

Exactly, as far as I can see he waits for the phone to ring, hoping it is going to be a corporate booking... or someone wanting to buy a new billboard...

I would love to hear about anything great he has done to bring the club to the market... fair enough, he might not have a budget... but at least most fans should know who the bloody hell he is...

I remember Sean Jarvis used to ust spend hours talking to every bleeder he came accross... he used to say he would go in the club shop and be in there for 3 hours just chatting to people... even my bloomin mum knew who he was... I dont even know what the current guy looks like...

... however, we are scapegoating again... is a top down culture who appointed this guy which we should be looking at.... I just dont believ the club has any sort of long term marketing strategy....

Edited by BigfinLatic

What’s the betting that it’s the very same people who, “pay their money and are entitled to moan,” who are most offended that SC isn’t clapping happily about the situation he finds himself in? If there is anyone who has something to gripe about it’s him. The tosspot council elected by the people of the town delayed his development so long it has cost him millions, he tries a load of incentives to get fans in, they take the freebie and are never seen again, he dipped into his pocket time after time for loanees to keep us in with a chance despite the injuries but gets slated for not spending more, he losses money hand over fist but people make out he is milking us and is living it up on the Cup and Trotman money. I’m surprised he is remaining so positive, in his position most of our fan base would long since have thrown themselves off a cliff.

Sick as in glad to see the back of him?

Or will you put up with your "sick" as long as he is , along with the other two, putting hundreds of thousands of pounds into our cl;ub?

No Pete not Sick as in glad to see the back of him, if thats what I meant I would have said it! Like I said I appreciate TTA and everything they have done

I meant exactly what I said "Sick of his whining" As I do not see what benefit this latest outburst will have...... Please feel free to point out the benefits?

I can see "Mr Undecided about a season ticket" tonight reading the Chron and Corneys pop about he doesnt believe there excuses etc etc and hardly being inspired to rush down BP for next years season tickets......

Like I already said I dont see what he is trying to achieve with those comments apart from alienate the same supporters that he is trying to win over

Other than that I think he is great :shock:

What’s the betting that it’s the very same people who, “pay their money and are entitled to moan,” who are most offended that SC isn’t clapping happily about the situation he finds himself in? If there is anyone who has something to gripe about it’s him. The tosspot council elected by the people of the town delayed his development so long it has cost him millions, he tries a load of incentives to get fans in, they take the freebie and are never seen again, he dipped into his pocket time after time for loanees to keep us in with a chance despite the injuries but gets slated for not spending more, he losses money hand over fist but people make out he is milking us and is living it up on the Cup and Trotman money. I’m surprised he is remaining so positive, in his position most of our fan base would long since have thrown themselves off a cliff.

I think it can only be a small minority who genuinely want to slate Corney. I dont, he's obviously trying his upmost but the club can do so much more.

I think it's fairly obvious from the original post that the comments were in answer to questions (from Tony Bugby?) rather than a statement.

And we all know the Chronicle would manage to find a negative spin if we won the Champions League...

(I don't even think they do it on purpose sometimes - they're just all serial depressives... :blink: )

Too many people in Oldham look for an excuse not too come to Bp.

The problem with a rant like this is that it hurts the wrong people.

I, like many people, read comments like this and think "Things are not looking good, they're not happy, will next season be a disappointment?"

The problem is, that it isn't my fault, or the fault of anyone else who goes week in, week out.

The people who only have a passing interest in the club will be unaffected by these comments and will probably never read them.

The comment I've quoted above proves the problem. People need an excuse to come to BP. They don't look for an excuse not to come because they just don't need one. Unfortunately it is not a crime not to love the club.

I understand the need to TTA to let off steam because they are putting a lot in, but doing it in the press just hurts the wrong people.

Nah, dont buy it... and i'm defo not a "pay my money and entitled to moan" person... we dont expect him to be happy, however I cant help but thinking this is the first salvo in the close season circus we got last year... random statement, airing dirty washing, bizarre transfers... fair enough we all know how much the TTA have been pooed on from a great height... there is just a need to change the record sometime... its just another prime example of utterly sucky timing from a corney statement... lets ask for ST sales with one hand, then call the fans a bunch of muppets with the other...

... anyway, we expect that now... so we are more thiking about other angles, how about manging you boss with some good PR... managing upwards, it seems to be our only option... You just wouldnt get another owner of a company coming out saying all our customers are idiots, I dont see how a football club is any different....

Udders have sold 9,500.

The best way to solve it is to have a rolling cost scheme

The more people that apply the cheaper they become, without severe cut off times, this will truly show if its the cost that is stopping people buying.

It seems ALL the schemes they have tried havent worked except get in for nowt.

if Simon thinks its all excuses put a scheme in to either prove it or not.

I can see some media advertising is gonna cost a fortune and not get many more supporters through the gates. I agree waste of money. What's wrong with a few posters in the town centre, I see nothing at all about upcoming games when I'm there, how much would that cost?

Maybe a club shop wouldn't be good business either but why not hire a few temps, get them in town promoting the game and get some tickets sold there, use the chrons newspaper stand near TJ Hughes, again something that wouldn't need to cost a fortune but I'm sure would get many more tickets sold and attendances higher.

Spot on mate, they need a few posters around the town centre and some people on the street promoting. Nobody outside the existing fanbase ever gets to hear about us other than in the Chron!

Premier League football for yers. You get up there and fans want to watch. It's so saturated with media coverage now, kids are obsessed with it, and lower league teams suffer through it (as most kinds don't wanna know).

Nothing new from SC, and the crowds have been disappointing. But it's no good beating Everton, Leeds, Millwall, Tranmere etc. on their own patch when you can't put the likes of Northampton and Hartlepool to the sword at BP. I think what didn't help either were the 3 home games in a row after Xmas, and amount of wet and miserable matchdays (I got a soaking in the paddock on numerous occasions).

It sounds like the TTA are telling us that they are going to sell TAYLOR and EARDLEY.

But making it easier by blaming the stay-awayers.

However, I don't blame Corney for showing his frustration. What we need is one of them stood in the middle of town and just to reenact the Delia Smith call to their fans. Many have got bored, which I can see why.

What's interesting is that if we go up next season, I can see a massive surge of fans come running back with the 'Oh we're finally outta that league... we'll turn up again'. Everyone's seen it; Oldham just play well in front of a big crowd. We always do. If we got promoted, I could see 9,000+ for home games. Sadly, they only turn up whilst we're in League 1 if there's a big game on.

Huddersfield have taken a risk; I don't think ours would be that successful if we tried anything similar. I think everyone would be happy if we could get 6,500-7000 in over the course of the season, and then build on it.

You could also look at the Asian community within Oldham. I have seen maybe 50 from an ethic background since I've been going. We need to target the upcoming Asian youngsters. If we could get some of their schools interested in a small scheme, just give them a taster of the potential excitement etc.

But making it easier by blaming the stay-awayers.

However, I don't blame Corney for showing his frustration. What we need is one of them stood in the middle of town and just to reenact the Delia Smith call to their fans. Many have got bored, which I can see why.

What's interesting is that if we go up next season, I can see a massive surge of fans come running back with the 'Oh we're finally outta that league... we'll turn up again'. Everyone's seen it; Oldham just play well in front of a big crowd. We always do. If we got promoted, I could see 9,000+ for home games. Sadly, they only turn up whilst we're in League 1 if there's a big game on.

Huddersfield have taken a risk; I don't think ours would be that successful if we tried anything similar. I think everyone would be happy if we could get 6,500-7000 in over the course of the season, and then build on it.

You could also look at the Asian community within Oldham. I have seen maybe 50 from an ethic background since I've been going. We need to target the upcoming Asian youngsters. If we could get some of their schools interested in a small scheme, just give them a taster of the potential excitement etc.

IF we ever got promoted (something which wont actually happen - we're doomed to stay in this one until the very end of time itself) I think we'd average over 9k easily. Blackpool must be knocking on for an average close to 9k and they're hamstrung by having a small capacity and a 3 sided ground. Oh, hold on..........

IF we ever got promoted (something which wont actually happen - we're doomed to stay in this one until the very end of time itself) I think we'd average over 9k easily. Blackpool must be knocking on for an average close to 9k and they're hamstrung by having a small capacity and a 3 sided ground. Oh, hold on..........

:lol:

think you would be surprised how quickly the stand gets built if we get promoted.... could always do a Rotherham/Port Vale and just shove some seats on a building site... at least we ae actually planning to have a 4 sided ground unlike the "we like the sea air" lashers...

Udders have sold 9,500.

The best way to solve it is to have a rolling cost scheme

The more people that apply the cheaper they become, without severe cut off times, this will truly show if its the cost that is stopping people buying.

It seems ALL the schemes they have tried havent worked except get in for nowt.

if Simon thinks its all excuses put a scheme in to either prove it or not.

This post made me think. I used to work for Stelios, but not with sleazyJet, why not use his business model?

We could be the first football club to do so , and get a bit of publicity ourselves.

I might even be able to get in touch with the guy that did the programming.

Have a dynamic pricing structure.

First few ST's very cheap and a stepped price right the way up to expensive on the opening day of the season.

Reward the hard core that camp out, imgaine the pictures of people queueing overnight in the deluge (It is Oldham in the summer after all)

Edited by singe

This post made me think. I used to work for Stelios, but not with sleazyJet, why not use his business model?

We could be ther first football club to do so , and get a bit of publicity ourselves.

I might even be able to get in touch wit the guy that did the programming.

Have a dynamic pricing structure.

First few ST's very cheap and a tepped price right the way up to expensive on the last day. Reward those that camp out, imgaine the pictures of people queueing overnight in the deluge (It is Oldham in the summer after all)

Yeah, can just imagine that... first tickets sold on the interweb for just Tax (VAT) and then by the time the old guard have got down to BP to buy theirs they are £3k... now that would be a new breed of moaning!

:wink: