WELL DONE SIMON

All he has done is state the facts.

Are crowds down? - Yes!

Do we have a town full arm chair reds? - Yes!

Can any business keep being unsubstainable? - No!

Football is a money game now, and we need to face facts. It makes me laugh when people who probably live their lives week to week on minimum wage come out with statements like.

" You have to speculate to accumulate " - WTF!

I for one would like to thank TTA for everything, like for giving us a stable football club.

What do people want!!!! B)

In the early 1970's Manchester United where relegated from the old First Division.

Their football was poor.

Their crowds?

Less than 20k, a quarter of what they get now.

The answer?

Attractive and succesful football.

In the early 1970's Manchester United where relegated from the old First Division.

Their football was poor.

Their crowds?

The answer?

and a splash of decent marketing thrown in.....

the people who used to pack BP to the rafters in big joe's hey day must be somewhere? they all can't be working on sat'day

the people who used to pack BP to the rafters in big joe's hey day must be somewhere? they all can't be working on sat'day

That was premiership football, and we rarely had capacity crowds then.

£20 to spend a couple of hours sat on a plastic seat in all weathers watching "third division" football is too much for the "floating supporter". Whilst we all know the reasons why OAFC and other clubs have to charge these prices, most people can think of other ways of spending/using their twenty quid. I really think until the game becomes more affordable i.e like in the 60s 70s, attendances will continue to decline and before anyone asks I reckon if it was feasable £10 for adults and £5 for juniors would offer reasonable value for money.

That's Life

Lofty

£20 to spend a couple of hours sat on a plastic seat in all weathers watching "third division" football is too much for the "floating supporter". Whilst we all know the reasons why OAFC and other clubs have to charge these prices, most people can think of other ways of spending/using their twenty quid. I really think until the game becomes more affordable i.e like in the 60s 70s, attendances will continue to decline and before anyone asks I reckon if it was feasable £10 for adults and £5 for juniors would offer reasonable value for money.

That's Life

Lofty

Very true, but football's not going to get cheaper. TV money has to be shared more equally, but the greedy Premiership clubs are never going to agree to it. The FA should bring in rules that 25% of the TV money be shared around the FL. If the Premiership clubs don't like it they can do their own TV deals. Very few would get the money they get now. The top four are the big draw and would be the only ones with real negotiating power. It's crazty that a promoted club from the Championship can be guaranteed £60m for playing in the Prem. Then get massive parachute payments for the two seasons after they get relegated.

Their football was poor.

Their crowds?

The answer?

Dont know where you've dug those figures up from...under 20,000????? Their average crowd in 74/75 in the old 2nd division was about 50,000 and I think when we played at Old Trafford that season the crowd was around 56,000!!!!

Even when we played ManUre at BP, we didn't sell all our allocation of tickets.

Thing is though, even if TTA cut season ticket prices to £200 and matchday prices to £15, but as a result slashed the wage budget. Fans would prbably be saying

'wed pay more to see bettr players ect'

In my opinion even if we did introduce a pledge scheme similar to vale and swindon this season and set the target for 5000 season tickets, we probably still would not reach 5000.

imo no matter what TTA do they cant win, at the end of the day its their money thats plugging the shortfall and without it we would have entered administration (again) a long long time ago.

Even after spending £308 on my season ticket, I would not blame them one little bit if tomorrow they turned around and said "sorry, but we are going to have to cut the wage bill"

come on Suicideistas! We're not necessarily doomed to having bob crowds. It's also meaningless to talk about how many we pulled in when we were in the Premier League - that division is radically different now, if we were in it now we wouldnt be getting the same crowds. In recent history we have bettered at least 9 (maybe more?) of the current Premier League clubs when it has come to average attendances - did those clubs just give up and die when they werent pulling in as many as the mighty Oldham? No they didnt.

From the 90's through to today we have beaten the following clubs - some for a few years, and many for a lot more than that:

Derby

Middlesbrough

Birmingham

Blackburn

Reading

Fulham

Bolton

Portsmouth

Wigan

If we had some success the missing thousands would return. As we cant take success for granted (it'd be insane to do so) then we have to do other things to pull them in. Complaining about our crap support and hinting at cutbacks just as you are trying to sell ST's for next year is probably not a good idea.

i dont normally comment on the boards, but on this topic i feel i have to

Being a die hard fan, i consider myself a true blue, keeping the faith for over 20 yrs now, but i have to say that this season my attendance is pathetic and not because the football is poor, you get used to it in this division, but due to me not being a single lad/no family, being married with kids, if its a choice between a family hols or a season ticket then its the hols.

The prices are driving me away, cant speak for others, i remember the old members tickets that used to give you a discount, why dont they try this again

I know its a gamble but why not push the advertising hard for a year and see if there are any improvements, cheaper tickets, presence in the town centre etc things wont improve by standing still, and this is not a dig at the tta as they are doing a brilliant job and should be given more credit, i personally think the council should help what with the "new oldham" but we all thats not going to happen, but how great and a step forward would it be to have a local council support local sport hard?

Thing is though, even if TTA cut season ticket prices to £200 and matchday prices to £15, but as a result slashed the wage budget. Fans would prbably be saying

'wed pay more to see bettr players ect'

In my opinion even if we did introduce a pledge scheme similar to vale and swindon this season and set the target for 5000 season tickets, we probably still would not reach 5000.

imo no matter what TTA do they cant win, at the end of the day its their money thats plugging the shortfall and without it we would have entered administration (again) a long long time ago.

Even after spending £308 on my season ticket, I would not blame them one little bit if tomorrow they turned around and said "sorry, but we are going to have to cut the wage bill"

Good post!

Oldhamers are not interested in live sport, unless it means travelling to a Greedy League ground such as Everton. Thank God that those of us for whom Latics means so much have three benefactors willing to continue to enable us to keep the Faith. We would all love a larger budget for Shez, but we know that the football financial facts of life prohibit this.

All he has done is state the facts.

Are crowds down? - Yes!

Do we have a town full arm chair reds? - Yes!

Can any business keep being unsubstainable? - No!

Football is a money game now, and we need to face facts. It makes me laugh when people who probably live their lives week to week on minimum wage come out with statements like.

" You have to speculate to accumulate " - WTF!

I for one would like to thank TTA for everything, like for giving us a stable football club.

What do people want!!!! B)

Agree to a point Eddie. However, from little acorns...............

When we were in the Prem, it was just a rebranded Division One. We were relegated before the pots of cash arrived.

We need to restart by improving the product on the pitch irrespective of what budget we have. If we cut budget to sustain the future then so be it. The emphasis is on the manager to maximise the homegrown players and motivate the team and squad to deliver on the pitch regardless of how much we pay them. Scouting is key so that we unearth cheap quality, which enables us to retain an economical budget but succeed on the pitch.

Success on the pitch WILL attract new and old fans alike. The key though is promotion. Next level up and there is more awareness in the national press, on TV and in advertising. Awareness will breed interest and we'll attract new fans.

We don't have to throw money at the problem as this will increase our debts. Equally cutting attendance pricing will NOT increase attendances permanently but will increase our debts too. A sustainable playing budget, a strong and successful team ethic motivated by a successful manager and then a strategy to retain those who do return is key.

Good post!

Oldhamers are not interested in live sport, unless it means travelling to a Greedy League ground such as Everton. Thank God that those of us for whom Latics means so much have three benefactors willing to continue to enable us to keep the Faith. We would all love a larger budget for Shez, but we know that the football financial facts of life prohibit this.

yup, the bovis brigade were out in force that day.

Perefect example - Blackpool. Higher crowds due to winning football. If we start winning crowds will increase. Not saying we'll get 10k a week in, but if we start winning in this league it jumps from 3500 on a tuesday night in feb to 5000 on a tuesday night in feb.

Perefect example - Blackpool. Higher crowds due to winning football. If we start winning crowds will increase. Not saying we'll get 10k a week in, but if we start winning in this league it jumps from 3500 on a tuesday night in feb to 5000 on a tuesday night in feb.

7,500/8,000 needed to break even. 5,000 on a Tuesday night still means TTA meeting the losses.

The big difference is that Blackpool, Preston and Burnley have never been in the Greedy League. If they ever get there they will have capacity crowds for the first season like Wolves and Leicester did. Then many of the been-there-seen-that-got-the-shirt brigade will revert to Sky for their entertainment.

It was 14 years ago when we left the premier league. I doubt 20 year olds saw us in it.

I'm not saying you are wrong, and I'm not saying we need to throw money at it. But winning football and success is the only way to constantly get extra fans . Yeah 5000 would still be a loss, but its healthier than 3500.

THE only way to increase fanbase and get bums on seats is to have success on the pitch.

We've had TWO relegations and more or less 12 crap/mediocre seasons in a boring, predictable division.

People are bored stiff of crap football in a crap stadium.... what did the owners expect!!!!

On a cold Tuesday night....Man U v Inter on telly for nowt or Oldham v Bournemouth...enough said!!!!

Simon Corney's rant about the fans is true....we are a fickle lot, but the timing of the outburst couldn't have been worse!!!

They have spent a lot of money over the last few seasons and are entitled to a return on their considerable investement, however, the team managers should have done much better with the players we have available.

It is up to the manager to get the best from the players...something that hasn't happened since TTA arrived.

Next season is an important one for the club and more so for for John Sheridan.

One good promotion season is all it will take to help get the club back on it's feet but sadly the longer this barren run continues the worse the situation will get!!!!!

It was mentioned in The Sunday Times last week that the increase in revenue from League One going into The Championship in sponsorship and Tv money is about £1million.

At the end of the day, it is too easy to take £30 to witherspoons and watch 3 prem games a day on a saturday. I feel sorry for these plastic reds, they will never really understand what a real supporter feels like!!