Car travel for away games next year

rickoldham27

Would you pay £15 to be ferried to and from away games?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. For more read on...

• Yes
    • No

I have recently come to own a car. I would love to go to lots of away matches next season to support the lads but fear that the petrol would cripple me financially. I would be prepared to offer up the spaces in my car to anyone interested for a small fee. I reckon £15.00 would be about right considering the price of the petrol and parking in official club parking (not wishing to park a car adorned with Oldham stuff on local back streets if you catch my drift). British Rail would be considerably more and would most definitely drop you off miles from the ground in most circumstances. Plus you don't have the added worry of trying to figure out how to get there. It was just an idea and I wanted to see if anyone would be up for it. Plus I reckon the boys could do with a bit more support on the road. Looking forward to next season!

Edited by rickoldham27

I have recently come to own a car. I would love to go to lots of away matches next season to support the lads but fear that the petrol would cripple me financially. I would be prepared to offer up the spaces in my car to anyone interested for a small fee. I reckon £15.00 would be about right considering the price of the petrol and parking in official club parking (not wishing to park a car adorned with Oldham stuff on local back streets if you catch my drift). British Rail would be considerably more and would most definitely drop you off miles from the ground in most circumstances. Plus you don't have the added worry of trying to figure out how to get there. It was just an idea and I wanted to see if anyone would be up for it. Plus I reckon the boys could do with a bit more support on the road. Looking forward to next season!

Fifteen quid for the whole season. That seems a good enough deal to me :wink:

Yup. count me in.

Come on... just one place left guys....

Me in too!!! £15 quid for all season tell ye what if you never break down and the service is good il give you a fiver tip! Per season :grin:

Edited by Davros

We were talking about this the other day as there is bound to be a fair amount of car sharing going on next Season due to the price of petrol.

We used to have an "Away Day Forum" but that was hardly used and so it was closed. The consensus was to have such topics in the normal Latics Forum but if there become loads of these threads, then it may be worth looking at something separate again.

For now though, I'm sure we will see more and more such threads for away matches - and for home games for us exiles.

For the InSaNE crowd, I may be getting a seven-seater in time for next Season. :)

For the InSaNE crowd, I may be getting a seven-seater in time for next Season. :)

Ooh, lovely.

Yeah, my budget's now tighter next season, due to owning a house (well I did do half of last) and I work every Saturday night ruling out anywhere further than Northampton really.

Anyway, the original thread starter's opening gambit of £15 to every away game... It's a bold move that, given petrol seems to be going up almost on a daily basis these days. The Tories must be loving this... all they have to do is significently reduce petrol prices and they'll walk back in at the next GE.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Been going on for years this car sharing Malarky. Unfortunately there is always the off chance you might end up being accompanied by "the snoring riff raff" like FranklyMrShankly all the way to Torquay and back. :grin::wink: In which case, you just have to hope some local (5 year old) ruffian takes offence and smacks him round the head with a stick of rock. :lol:

The choices you take. :)

Been going on for years this car sharing Malarky. Unfortunately there is always the off chance you might end up being accompanied by "the snoring riff raff" like FranklyMrShankly all the way to Torquay and back. :grin::wink: In which case, you just have to hope some local (5 year old) ruffian takes offence and smacks him round the head with a stick of rock. :lol:

The choices you take. :)

There is a high possibility of a mini bus of twelve being taken to every game next season as well. :grin:

i'll be spare to fill seats on most aways.

moafc myself and others will be planning weekenders away too...

Wonder where the main weekender would be this year?

I was praying Southampton came down!!!

I've pretty much always found that members of this board will help out if you ask, be it lifts, tickets or whatever. We just need to get into the habit of asking and offering more. We all save money, you get company for your journey and you get to put a name to faces and meet more Latics fans. The worst that can happen is that you get to spend a couple of hours with someone who you might not want to share with again, which is hardly the end of the world.

Come on guys and girls, group hug :)

maybe a sticky for next season - Lifts? - I'm not sure how many I'm gonna do, but fancy ticking a few more off my 92 club list, but might have to stick to fairly local ones - never done tranny so that's a likely one.

As regards cost, I think £15 is alot for all bar the furthest. Fuel usually works out about 12p a mile, so based on 4 sharing, Walsall would be about £5 each. I'd reckon that if I was going anyway, it's gonna cost me the same amount regardless of if there's a spare seat being occupied. Or am I being too generous?

Best way though is a rota, everyone takes a turn?

Guest oa_exile
The worst that can happen is that you get to spend a couple of hours with someone who you might not want to share with again

So , who wants a lift then ? :grin:

Guest oa_exile

I actually compiled a list last season and sent those concerned a PM , there were about 12-14 of us around the Southport , Croston , Leyland , Chorley area's , plus a few travelling down the M61 as well from Lasherland , Fleetwood , etc

Nowt came from it :(

I've pretty much always found that members of this board will help out if you ask, be it.... tickets or whatever. ....... The worst that can happen is that you get to spend a couple of hours with someone who you might not want to share with again, which is hardly the end of the world.

Or if there's a cock-up on the ticket front, you can end up sat with the stiffs nowhere near the stage, but we've had our hug and it's no use crying over spiralled carpets! B)