Could you walk 200 miles?

This sponsored walk from Millwall has got me thinking. I know I certainly couldnt do it, and I very much doubt most users on here could do it either, or for that matter, be willing to give up a week of their own time.

Add to this the fact it is a very worthy cause, and I think every latics fan should be getting behind these lads. If you read this, i'm more than willing to give you a hand with fundraising lads, or maybe you could do with a driver to carry the first aid kit for the inevitable blisters? Failing that, does anybody know how i could get in contact witht them?

their web address is www.justgiving.com/millwalloldham

every latics fan should be donating to this. Havent seen anything in the paper about it tho, do the club know they are doing it?

This sponsored walk from Millwall has got me thinking. I know I certainly couldnt do it, and I very much doubt most users on here could do it either, or for that matter, be willing to give up a week of their own time.

Add to this the fact it is a very worthy cause, and I think every latics fan should be getting behind these lads. If you read this, i'm more than willing to give you a hand with fundraising lads, or maybe you could do with a driver to carry the first aid kit for the inevitable blisters? Failing that, does anybody know how i could get in contact witht them?

every latics fan should be donating to this. Havent seen anything in the paper about it tho, do the club know they are doing it?

send a private message to philligi on here,hes a moderator so shouldnt be too hard to trck down...

i did a sponsered walk years ago,got me ugly mug in the oldham chron as well....we walked from southport to oldham,all in one go took me 13 hours exactly.......

we started off with about 30 doing it,but one by one they dropped like flies.....think about 10 finished in total,me being first....

raised a good few quid at the time

only tips i can give are drink plenty of water.......once you get into a decent rythm walking keep it up as long as you can.....try not to stop often,once you stop it gets harder to start again.......i did it in shorts n a vest....and i put plenty of vasaline on my arms,and legs.....helped with the friction,kept the heat in and the showers out....good luck......and dont take your shoes off for at least an hour after you stop walking,or your feet will swell and you wont get ya shoes back on.lol

Guest oa_exile
send a private message to philligi on here,hes a moderator so shouldnt be too hard to trck down...

Think you will find that philligi is the person who is actually doing the walk :)

Agree with you really, especially in light of this weeks events. Only about £250 on their just giving site so far. Come on people put a fiver in. I did the manchester to Blackpool cycle ride last year with my daughter for TOMMY'S baby charity and several good folk on here contributed.

thank you one and all.

I just hope they manage to work out a route that avoids all pubs. Otherwise they'll never get anywhere near Oldham come matchday. :wink:

Phil and Kidderz = Oldham's slowest drinkers! :wink::grin:

The pair have been doing alot of training by all accounts though. Fair play to the pair of them. You'd definately struggle if you hadnt been training. Last 3 days, their legs are going to feel like jelly. Dont envy them in the slightest, though it's for a great local charity so fair play to them. Hope the weathers good for you boys.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

The astrongest thing in their favour is that if they can't make it to a sponsored hotel they'll have to pay for somewhere themselves, that will drive them on like the Hounds of Hell snapping at their heels. :wink:

Mr Tulsehill and myself did the Coast to Coast Walk when we were in the flush of youth, and without any of this soft Hotel malarkey. We did take two weeks mind you. Although the hilly bits feel the hardest at the time it was the long flattish bits on the second week where you are just grinding the miles out that really take a toll on the body, and they'll have a few of them. My Top Top is that you will feel every beer 5 times over the next day, they really do take it out of you when you have been working that hard.

Same as Mrs The Owl's effort, I'll stick summat on when I'm in work :chubb:

Thanks for the support everyone, Atric, I have sent you a pm with a few details on, but as has been said, we already have a support driver in Peanut, which is very much appeciated. Its easy to take the credit for something like this, but without a support driver it wouldnt be happening. Also thanks to Martin Thomas at Vehicle Consultants for providing us with a car. much appreciated.

Obviously there are still things which need planning, I spend every dinner hour on the phone or writing emails trying to get this planned. If anyone could help with any of these matters, please, drop me a pm.

1) a bucket collection outside the ground is likely to be taking place. Are there any volunteers to shake a bucket?

2)We will be wearing T shirts displaying our sponsors company logos on. There is quite a large demand, with limited space available, but if anyone knows of any companies willing to donate a substantial amount for this, please give me a bell.

3)FAO JACKO are you still ok to do the printing of these t shirts, as discussed at the preston tournament? if so, is there a deadline for when you need the information?

As has been said, we have been pounding the pavements in training. personally, i have been walking 8 miles three times a week, and before we set off, i want to be completing at least three or four 25 mile jaunts, the problem with this however is finding the time.

Again, thanks for the support everyone. much appreciated.

Im probably well overdue to comment regarding this sponsored walk considering ive decided to do it with phill.

First of all id like to thank everyone for their encouraging comments and all the contributions which have been made so far. Peanut has very kindly put himself forward to be our support driver and im extremely grateful because realistically this wouldnt work without having that.

Obviously this is going to be a very difficult challenge and im training as hard as i can (currently walking a few miles every 2 days but its increasing as we get closer) but its for a very worthy cause and thats the greatest motivation to do it really. Dr kershaws is a fantastic facility the town should be proud of.

Phills doing a great job of organising accomodation and sponsors. Im currently waiting on feedback of sponsorship from the company i work for, having quoted what premier inn have done for us in terms of costs of putting us up so fingers crossed there. As well as the usual family and friends who will sponsor im putting collection posters and jars in my grans pub in denshaw my aunts florist (four seasons) in watersheddings and hopefully a couple of other places.

Im hoping to take a camcorder so that we can keep a video diary as we do it, which hopefully we can stick online at some stage just so that people can have a look at how things go. Try to make it interesting, i dont think watching 2 lads walking road for hours would make compulsive viewing nor would us briefly tackling knife crime in south bermondsey but we'll see.

Once again thanks for all the support so far its much appreciated.

Looks like I'll be joining them for the first leg out of London ...... then on Sat I go away for a week of Sun :grin:

A bit uninventive Mark. If we plan it properly we should be able to miraculously appear at every Bus and Tube stop they pass and give the impression of a huge crowd lining the route.

i know this sounds stupid but has anyone got any details of the people behind this ?

because i actually want to do it.

Go to one of Philligi or Kidderz' posts in the thread above, press on his name and go to Send Message!

i know this sounds stupid but has anyone got any details of the people behind this ?

because i actually want to do it.

unfortunatly we have already planned the event around a party of three (two walkers and a support driver). Basically because of accomodation difficulties, and therefore cannot accomodate anyone else through the entire walk. however, various members of this board have shown an interest in walking with us for a couple of hours here and there, and they will be more than welcome (with a large donation of course,nudge nudge, wink wink mark :grin: )

Cheers for showing an interest though.

Just a quick update, we have done an interview and photo shoot for the M E N tonight, so all you who get it, look out for our artical over the coming week. couldnt pin point when it will be in, but it will be.

unfortunatly we have already planned the event around a party of three (two walkers and a support driver). Basically because of accomodation difficulties, and therefore cannot accomodate anyone else through the entire walk. however, various members of this board have shown an interest in walking with us for a couple of hours here and there, and they will be more than welcome (with a large donation of course,nudge nudge, wink wink mark :grin: )

Cheers for showing an interest though.

Just a quick update, we have done an interview and photo shoot for the M E N tonight, so all you who get it, look out for our artical over the coming week. couldnt pin point when it will be in, but it will be.

Ok Lads, Good Luck On the Walk. If There Is Any Other Events Like This In The Future I Would Love To Get Involved.

And Again Good Luck boys !!!