• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gillingham manager Mark Stimson has revealed the club are facing competition from a League One club to sign midfielder Kevin Maher - but remains upbeat over his chances of signing him.

Former Southend man Maher, who spent two months on loan at Priestfield last season, has been training with the Kent club throughout the summer.

And Stimson said: "Kevin has got another club interested in him but he's been honest with us, that's good and he's actually going to figure for us in the game.

"Hopefully by then we might be able to do something but by still coming in and training with us it shows we've still got a chance. I know we're competing against a first division club so it would be a good one if we could get him to sign."

Stimson also revealed he is hoping out-of-favour striker Delroy Facey will be able to come to an agreement to end his unhappy spell at Priestfield.

He added: "Delroy's got a couple of clubs interested in him, so it's just a matter now of Del and the chairman trying to get together and deciding what's best for both parties and to maybe leave the club."

Central midfielder and Southend captain for 6 years and at the club for 10. May have to be a good offer to move him away from East coast were he has lived for most of his life.

Well according to this Sarfend fans link he's either got fed up and wanted to leave because he wasn't catching during the latter half of last season or he punched a 19 year old in training and is now persona non grata. Perhaps he will have Ricketts old number? :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/F10623225?thr...560&show=50

Always, always rated maher as one of the best passing midfielders out there in the lower leagues... remember watching him in the championship on't sky, and thinking him and Eastwood were a class above the rest of the team... sure they had an offer of £1m for him a couple of seasons back that they turned down...??always thought he was pretty much the bedrock of thier team so he must have really fallen from grace...

I would be very, very happy if we could bring Maher in.... would massively improve our side, and defo provide the amo Hughesy needs.... we will wait and see....

Edited by BigfinLatic

Always, always rated maher as one of the best passing midfielders out there in the lower leagues... remember watching him in the championship on't sky, and thinking him and Eastwood were a class above the rest of the team... sure they had an offer of £1m for him a couple of seasons back that they turned down...??always thought he was pretty much the bedrock of thier team so he must have really fallen from grace...

I would be very, very happy if we could bring Maher in.... would massively improve our side, and defo provide the amo Hughesy needs.... we will wait and see....

I must admit I've never really spotted him when we have played them but that probably says more about me than him. It's always been the goalie (which ever one they have played) and the defenders Clarke and Barrett who have stood out for me. However he obviously stood out for you BF and that's good enough for me. We shall watch with interest.

I must admit I've never really spotted him when we have played them but that probably says more about me than him. It's always been the goalie (which ever one they have played) and the defenders Clarke and Barrett who have stood out for me. However he obviously stood out for you BF and that's good enough for me. We shall watch with interest.

Thanks mate! however... for those who dont always trust my, usually sound, judgement.... have a look at this... its the QPR game on here that I remember watching where he was absolute class.... this is mainly about his goals which he isnt renowned for, however shows he is a bit handy...

Thanks mate! however... for those who dont always trust my, usually sound, judgement.... have a look at this... its the QPR game on here that I remember watching where he was absolute class.... this is mainly about his goals which he isnt renowned for, however shows he is a bit handy...

He looks like a season in the Neal Eardley Shooting Masterclass sitting alongside Mr Scholes and he could be a useful goal threat from midfield.

But.... what the :censored: was the nearest QPR player doing for the first goal? I presumed Maher was looking to shoot 70 yards the other way when I first saw it!

He looks like a season in the Neal Eardley Shooting Masterclass sitting alongside Mr Scholes and he could be a useful goal threat from midfield.

But.... what the :censored: was the nearest QPR player doing for the first goal? I presumed Maher was looking to shoot 70 yards the other way when I first saw it!

Just to say again though... he isnt really known for his shooting... think he scored 5 in that season with the QPR game in which he got a hit-trick... like any "creative" midfielder he doesnt really get into the box, so when he does score they are usually from distance....

Like Wellens, before Donny moved him behind the front two, he probably should score more but it aint really his job...

Just to say again though... he isnt really known for his shooting... think he scored 5 in that season with the QPR game in which he got a hit-trick... like any "creative" midfielder he doesnt really get into the box, so when he does score they are usually from distance....

Like Wellens, before Donny moved him behind the front two, he probably should score more but it aint really his job...

Did he not get sent off against us at Roots Hall last year?

Flavahan?

Guest oa_exile
Would be a real coup to get him but the geographical issue would be a real problem I'd expect. Let's hope no Southern clubs put an offer on the table then.

Can confirm we have offered Maher a contract BUT no response to date (From a reliable source :wink: )