Away to Burnley again

Guest M_OAFC
No, not having this. It'll be a crap crowd. Ours won't be bothered - we might take 1500. They'll roll up 5000. It'll be a tenner a shot. Minus the fuzz, we'll be lucky to take a few grand from the game. Absolutely awful draw.

If you think there were no good draws, look at the ball before Burnley. Very few worse ties than this one out there.

Not sure we were unlucky to lose there last season. They just had better players than us.

You're probably right about the size of the crowd but I never suggested we would make any money from it.

I also think the lack of numbers and the lack of last years atmosphere will be largely down to the attitude our fans seem to have instantly adopted to the draw which I can't understand given that we did so well to create such a fabulous atmosphere last time. If it was a tie worthy of that atmosphere last year then why not this season when we have at least as much, if not more chance of winning.

As for the ball before Burnley, Sunderland? Can't say that would have excited me. It's hardly a glamour tie is it! We'd have had even less chance of beating them than Burnley and wouldn't have made all that much more money from it either. Sunderland's last 2 home ties in that competiton pulled in 11,000 and no doubt at a reduced price. I'd say they'd probably get more than that this season but we're not talking about a pay out that would make a huge difference. No, I'd rather have the team that gives us a better chance of getting through to a round where we really can get a cracking tie.

The only tie on offer that was anything like glamorous or money spinning in this round was Citeh and I always pray we don't draw them or the Red Sox simply because if they beat us I couldn't stand listening to the gloating all over Oldham from Manc supporting bastards that follow football through tabloids and Sky and think anyone taking an interest in anything below the top 6 in the Championship is some sort of freak. And as wonderful as it was to beat City not so long ago, if we're honest we're going to lose to them 9 times out of 10. So personally I didn't want that one either but I can see why plenty would.

Yes Burnley do have better players than us but I couldn't disagree more if you don't think we were a bit unfortunate to lose that game last year.

In fact, looking through all the teams that it was possible for us to draw I'm struggling to find one that I'd give us more chance of beating than Burnley so I'm even more pleased with the draw now than I was at first. I'm not saying I expect us to win, Burnley will be favourites and rightly so, but I give us more chance there than at almost any of the other potential opponents.

Another here who isn't too dissappointed.

Of course Newcastle / City away would have been a 'glamour tie' and nearing the end of the draw I was hoping for Bolton away (not been to the Reebok) but its local enough to make going after work possible, a bit of a derby (only a bit), underdogs but winnable and I always like the singing of Chim Chimmeny!

Not a great competition for clubs at our level any more. Big clubs devalue it (even small clubs tbh) so giant killings are slightly tarnished; prices reduced to get average crowds means low income etc.

If we win - great. If not - no big loss, no big shame.

Cheers up.

How soon Shez's call for us to be confident has been forgotten!

I will bre upbeat and confident against any league 1 side.... however that does not apply to an utterly uninspiring draw against a mid-level championship side, who should beat us...

... fair enough, we might pull it out of the bag... but I alsmost hope shez plays our 'supposed' reserves, i'm sure the likes of Stephens, Lomax, Lewis, Deano, fleming etc.. would get far more out of this game than our first team.... and the result would be probably similar....

As for the draw... West brom, Birmingham, Stoke, Derby... even the london clubs QPR, Palace etc.... all similar level clubs with a similar chance for us to win at that would have been more exciting - and I think we would take more fans too all of those places.... 500 max to the dingles....

... cant be helped, but really dissapointed at that draw... anyone but the dingles....

I'm quite shocked at the reaction to that draw. I wasn't expecting any wow factor but I don't think it's too bad.

We aren't going to win the Carling Cup and so we all know that for clubs at our level it's about hoping to make some money and get a glamour day out for the players and fans.

Well frankly I don't think you're going to get that from any of the sides that enter at this stage. You've got to get to Round 3 before opponents of that ilk are in the hat so for me the first 2 rounds are all about just getting through, other than that there is little or nothing to gain from them.

The seeding system meant we were always going to be 2nd favourites whoever we played so on that basis I'd much rather play Burnley than some mid table moderately supported Premiership side with no glamour factor that we'd have even less chance of beating and still wouldn't make any money out of.

Of course Burnley are more likely to win but I'd say this one is more winnable than most of the potential ties we could have got thanks to the seeding. Despite what the scoreline would suggest I thought we were very unlucky to lose there last year.

Plus it's local which is handy on a week night and I thought the atmosphere in our end at Turf Moor last season was absolutely fantastic.

All things considered I'm relatively pleased with the draw.

I'm with you on this.....We knew we would be away from the pre-draw so a localish NW derby is OK with me and we have a reasonable chance of progressing to the third round.

We were seeded to get a premier or championship club so all in all it's a game we can go to after work without any disruption. Even if we'd drawn Bolton or Blackburn I don't think 10,000+ would have been achievable and the real money will be earned in the later rounds if we can get through...Not a bad draw and could have been a lot worse!!!

As for the draw... West brom, Birmingham, Stoke, Derby... even the london clubs QPR, Palace etc.... all similar level clubs with a similar chance for us to win at that would have been more exciting - and I think we would take more fans too all of those places.... 500 max to the dingles....

Midlands and London on a weeknight are an absolute no without taking at least a half-day off work, so a tie I can go to is a good draw.

Might be willing to take a day off to go to a glamour tie at a big/new ground, but Palace/QPR/West Brom etc are not new and not 'big' enough for me.

Difference of opinion, but I am looking forward to the game.

Midlands and London on a weeknight are an absolute no without taking at least a half-day off work, so a tie I can go to is a good draw.

Might be willing to take a day off to go to a glamour tie at a big/new ground, but Palace/QPR/West Brom etc are not new and not 'big' enough for me.

Is it on the Tueday (26th) by the way...????

If so, just found out I have a meeting booked that day in preston....

So if it is indeed on the tuesday then great draw...!!! couldnt have asked for anything better! (except maybe preston) :):wink:

Is it on the Tueday (26th) by the way...????

If so, just found out I have a meeting booked that day in preston....

So if it is indeed on the tuesday then great draw...!!! couldnt have asked for anything better! (except maybe preston) :):wink:

Don't know yet. But with three Lancashire teams all drawn at home (Preston, Blackburn and Burnley), police will probably request at least one of the games to be moved to Wednesday.

Edited by Fyldelatic

I'm glad it's not at home, I'll tell you that for nothing.

It's not a great draw but it's not the worst, at least it's a drivable distance for a lot of people after work. I'll be just back off holiday so no chance for me, realistically I was only going to make a London/SE (quiet, Diego :wink: ) one.

Absolutely my sentiments too. Plus, I missed last year's game because I was away on holiday.

Don't know yet. But with three Lancashire teams all drawn at home (Preston, Blackburn and Burnley), police will probably request at least one of the games to be moved to Wednesday.

Preston is playing Derby on Tuesday 26th August, while Blackburn is facing Grimsby on Wednesday. So it looks likely that Burnley game will be on Tuesday.