Sorry Shez you got it wrong

4-3-3 was awful! O grady was so alone and won nothing, Smalley and Taylor were too far away from him,

This isnt a Shez out moan as people will know on here im a big Sheridan fan but tonight he got the setup wrong.

No need to rest both Hughes and Lewi one should still be in the team.

didnt understand the 4-3-3 /451

Eardely didnt complete a pass I dont think he is so inconsistent (too say how well he played at Crewe)

Maher.... still very unsure as with O grady

Im not worried about the league but I just think we should have tried taking the game to them !

KTF

4-3-3 was awful! O grady was so alone and won nothing, Smalley and Taylor were too far away from him,

This isnt a Shez out moan as people will know on here im a big Sheridan fan but tonight he got the setup wrong.

Eardely didnt complete a pass I dont think he is so inconsistent (too say how well he played at Crewe)

Im not worried about the league but I just think we should have tried taking the game to them !

KTF

was going to say the same, dont minfd the change in personel, but why change the formation, it did not work.

KTF

Agreed. The 4-5-1 didn't work at all. It didn't work in pre-season, and didn't work tonight.

O'Grady did a lot of running, but was out-muscled by the Burnley back line. As was our midfield for most of the game. They seemed to be able to knock us off the ball at will. And when we did get the ball out wide, it was wasted time and time again. The main culprit being Eardley. He couldn't cross his legs tonight - reminded me of Griffin - and his general distribution was awful. £3m??? You're having a laugh. Maher didn't do much, and Whits was kept on top of. Same for The Rat.

We looked a little better second half, and Alice looked sharp when he came on, nearly scored too but for a smart save by their keeper. Hughesy didn't do much for the time he was on and neither did Lee. Taylor looked like our only real outlet, made a few good runs, but, unfortunately, they all came to very little.

A bad day at the office today as far as I'm concerned, against a decent side. They didn't look to even break a sweat.

Hey ho. Back to the league and back to 4-4-2

Agree with everything said in this thread.

Was like watching England tonight. A manager trying to fit three central midfielders in the team and playing with one man up front. O'Grady was getting a bit of stick but at the end of the day he's not gonna come out on top against two big centre halves. He did all he could.

It says it all about this cup, a league 1 manager playing his reserves. He was kidding himself if he thought that team could go and get a result. Abysmal is an understatement. Burnley there for the taking, chance of a Prem team in the next round, but Shez gets a tad too clever.

E4e

VPOOR

Agreed. The 4-5-1 didn't work at all. It didn't work in pre-season, and didn't work tonight.

O'Grady did a lot of running, but was out-muscled by the Burnley back line. As was our midfield for most of the game. They seemed to be able to knock us off the ball at will. And when we did get the ball out wide, it was wasted time and time again. The main culprit being Eardley. He couldn't cross his legs tonight - reminded me of Griffin - and his general distribution was awful. £3m??? You're having a laugh. Maher didn't do much, and Whits was kept on top of. Same for The Rat.

We looked a little better second half, and Alice looked sharp when he came on, nearly scored too but for a smart save by their keeper. Hughesy didn't do much for the time he was on and neither did Lee. Taylor looked like our only real outlet, made a few good runs, but, unfortunately, they all came to very little.

A bad day at the office today as far as I'm concerned, against a decent side. They didn't look to even break a sweat.

Hey ho. Back to the league and back to 4-4-2

Just show the wide gap between even an average/bottom-half Championship side and very good L1 side.

Differences:

They don't make silly mistakes.

They don't lose ball.

When attacking, they move the ball fast and find unmarked players.

They have lethal finishing.

KTF

They were absolute :censored:e, we would have leathered them with a full team.

Eagles ran the show, too good for them, should still be in the premiership.

Good turnout from us, :censored: turnout from them.

Eardley shocking, then blamed it on everyone else for his :censored:e crosses!

O'Grady wrong type of player to be playing on his own, can't run at defences.

He tried something new, it didnt work...rather it happen in the cup than the league...he did say he was going to mix it up...

A few people overeacting a tad tonight...

Is it eck something new, he played it at times last season and pre-season and it dosent work. The pitch is wide at TM and Taylor and Smalley were to far away from OGrady, who was awful but i do feel a bit sorry for him. It was quickly clear we needed 4-4-2, moving Smalley forward could have been a temporary solution. Burnley were there for the taking, but not playing hood-ball as theyve two big centre backs .. when we played it on the floor we played well.

On a postive though Lee played well when he came on, looked comfortable on the ball and is now another option for Shez. Eardley, once again didnt have a good un.

Lets quickly forget tonight and move on to Col U

Is it eck something new, he played it at times last season and pre-season and it dosent work. The pitch is wide at TM and Taylor and Smalley were to far away from OGrady, who was awful but i do feel a bit sorry for him. It was quickly clear we needed 4-4-2, moving Smalley forward could have been a temporary solution. Burnley were there for the taking, but not playing hood-ball as theyve two big centre backs .. when we played it on the floor we played well.

On a postive though Lee played well when he came on, looked comfortable on the ball and is now another option for Shez. Eardley, once again didnt have a good un.

Lets quickly forget tonight and move on to Col U

Considering the different personel it was different....

Considering the different personel it was different....

just a shame a cup run is over,they have been money spinners for us in recent years,would of been nice to put a run together draw a big team and maybe that would of been enough to not sell an asset.....

3-0 sounds like a drubbing but im lead to beleive it was far from that.....

if we lose out in every cup but get promted ill settle for that....

Is it eck something new, he played it at times last season and pre-season and it dosent work.

Yeah, it was terrible at Crewe wasn't it...

I think 433/451 has worked for us in the past and will probably work for us a number of times this season, especially away.

It wasn't the formation that lost us the game, it was rotating too many Championship standard players.

More than happy with Fleming getting a game, fully understand resting Liddell, but having lost Gregan to a knock (I hope that's only minor!) he swapped too many others out.

I said to my mate walking up to the ground, I reckon the lesson we'll learn tonight is that we've got a better squad than last season, but not one that's so good we can rotate against a Championship side and expect to get a result. It gives me no joy whatever to say I was bang on. (Doesn't happen often... :D )

I know we could still have lost if we started with our best eleven, and then maybe we'd lose at Colchester due to knocks and tiredness from tonight, but I still feel a pang of disappointment that we didn't at least give it a go first half with Hughes and co and then bring them off after an hour.

Edited by garcon

Agree with what's been said. :censored:e decisions by Shez tonight and again, his Triple substitution was an admission of guilt at getting the starting side wrong, just like vs Millwall. Ya can't hope it keeps pulling you out of the mire though.

People can say what they like about it being our "reserves"...that's utter bull. We've assembled a 20-man strong squad fit to cover the first XI and more! The real issue I've found from tonight is the sheer blatent lack of fitness and sharpness from the two worst players...Maher and Stam. I don't blame them...I blame this :censored:ed up reserve set-up we've now got whereby we've no proper competitive games (except for the irregular cup games) and it's going to cost us. Stam and Maher are far better than that tonight and I fully believe it's having no regular time on a pitch in the ressies that's going to lead to this more and more.

Can't fault the effort of anyone tonight. Just a stupid formation, proven not to work and worse still, Shez allowing us to go 2 goals down before making the change. That was the biggest annoyance all night....within 30 seconds of the changes we could've scored THREE times!!! Had that had been at 1-0 then Burnley would've started creaking all over the place.

Oh well...Corney can make his comments all he likes about bums on seats and money coming in...but secretly I reckon he's fuming with Shez tonight. A bit like I am...a truly wasted opportunity by surrendering to Burnley with terrible tactics. Alas, Shez has it fairly right now in the league with the 4-4-2......good on him. Fingers crossed that continues. Shame he didn't stick with what works....with some changed personel if he wished to do that. No problem with our squad being utilised but don't arse about with the formation!!! Arrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onwards and upwards!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Agree with what's been said. :censored:e decisions by Shez tonight and again, his Triple substitution was an admission of guilt at getting the starting side wrong, just like vs Millwall. Ya can't hope it keeps pulling you out of the mire though.

People can say what they like about it being our "reserves"...that's utter bull. We've assembled a 20-man strong squad fit to cover the first XI and more! The real issue I've found from tonight is the sheer blatent lack of fitness and sharpness from the two worst players...Maher and Stam. I don't blame them...I blame this :censored:ed up reserve set-up we've now got whereby we've no proper competitive games (except for the irregular cup games) and it's going to cost us. Stam and Maher are far better than that tonight and I fully believe it's having no regular time on a pitch in the ressies that's going to lead to this more and more.

Can't fault the effort of anyone tonight. Just a stupid formation, proven not to work and worse still, Shez allowing us to go 2 goals down before making the change. That was the biggest annoyance all night....within 30 seconds of the changes we could've scored THREE times!!! Had that had been at 1-0 then Burnley would've started creaking all over the place.

Oh well...Corney can make his comments all he likes about bums on seats and money coming in...but secretly I reckon he's fuming with Shez tonight. A bit like I am...a truly wasted opportunity by surrendering to Burnley with terrible tactics. Alas, Shez has it fairly right now in the league with the 4-4-2......good on him. Fingers crossed that continues. Shame he didn't stick with what works....with some changed personel if he wished to do that. No problem with our squad being utilised but don't arse about with the formation!!! Arrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onwards and upwards!

i said elsewhere and on other posts over the last few weeks that having no official reserve team fixtures will hamper us in the long run.....

im glad its in the cup and not the league....but you can see already that without competative reserve games those players coming into the side are nowhere near match fit and upto speed,just hope our injurys this season are nowhere near as bad as last one.

I think its a good move with the reserves and no fixtures so we have no solid comitments but we do need to play regular.

I can't possibly see how it's a good idea with 11 + 3 subs playing on a Saturday and the rest sat waiting up to and over 2wks at a time to get out into competitive action. And that was compounded for me tonight. And it'll be even worse when we have injured players trying to get back to fitness, while others fill in for them without the right fitness levels/match sharpness (like Stam and Maher displayed tonight.)

Edited by boundaryblue80

Guest sheridans_world
I can't possibly see how it's a good idea with 11 + 3 subs playing on a Saturday and the rest sat waiting up to and over 2wks at a time to get out into competitive action. And that was compounded for me tonight.

My reason being, if we get into the state we did last season (injuries/suspensions) we cant commit to playing weekly in a league. However, if the availability to arrange reserve matches at short notice is there. Brilliant.

It's hardly as if the reserves have NO fixtures arranged. They're in about four different cups for a start off...

And anyway, blaming the lack of a reserves league this early in the season is cobblers.

I'm stating that even this early, you could see tonight who the players that struggled most were. That was Stam and Maher. O'Grady has had far more match time along with Smalley so they managed better...but struggled with the system Shez wanted to play. But this is early on and so far, you could see the lack of their fitness. It's not going to get better...only worse. The cups we're in at reserve level aren't sufficient enough (ie. numbers of games) to keep the size of our squad satisfied. I think people are looking at last season and basing it as the norm...we've never had a season for injuries like it and it came at a time where we went into a tougher league. It was bad timing/luck but not a reason to pull out of playing in a reserve league, as far as I'm concerned. Anyway....no doubt this topic will come about again during the season, as I expect it to show again in players like it did for Stam and Maher tonight.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I may be wrong but I don't think there is a reserve system in Italy, doesn't seem to do their players much harm. (Although, I could be wrong if there is a reserve system).

Might have been different if Davies hadn't been suspended, I am glad he rested Hughes & Lewi as if one of those got injured it would be bad so O'Grady always was going to be ploughing a lone furrow. He could have played Smalley upfront but that would have mean't playing Liddell at RM but again, good thing he was rested, possibly shoved Whitaker to LM and Taylor to RM but I am not a fan of moving players around too much as they aren't the brightest and get confused in the next game.

For me Shez did the best with the players available against a team from the division up who might be having a bad spell at the moment but as still of a higher quality than we currently are.

For me Shez did the best with the players available against a team from the division up who might be having a bad spell at the moment but as still of a higher quality than we currently are.

I don't often disagree with you T, but I do here. Shez clearly didn;t really want us to carry on in this competition, but there was good opportunity to get through here and bag a decent, lucrative home draw in the next round.

The 4-5-1 (and don't even mention a 4-3-3; it was nothing of the sort) was completely negative from our camp and simply gave Burnley the message that we came to try and grind the result out. They could then play at a low gear and comfortably find a way past us rather than worrying about what we have up front.

Nah. Completely got it wrong tonight. No knives out for him, but I was really disappointed for the 1,000+ fans that took the trouble to go and watch that shíte.

Shez clearly didn;t really want us to carry on in this competition, but there was good opportunity to get through here and bag a decent, lucrative home draw in the next round.

The 4-5-1 (and don't even mention a 4-3-3; it was nothing of the sort) was completely negative from our camp and simply gave Burnley the message that we came to try and grind the result out. They could then play at a low gear and comfortably find a way past us rather than worrying about what we have up front.

I think that he didn't want us to go further in this cup and will be privately happy with the result (but not the score). Last round we lost Davies which cost us dear tonight as we were unable to keep the shape whilst resting players plus picked up some silly bookings. He could have played Lee at RM and Smalley up top but perhaps the full 90 would have come too soon for Lee, it came too soon for Smalley as he didn't last the 90 (possible engine trouble here?)

The game on Saturday is the most important, a draw or better keeps us top then we just need to get knocked out of the JPT and keep on to promotion.