Sorry Shez you got it wrong

expect the same chopping about for next weeks paintball mug.

then when no extra fans turn up for the next league at home,what will SC be thinking?

a missed opportunity last night,if i'd know the team and formation ( 4-5-1...unbelievably bad option-it was plain to see after 15 mins it wasn't working,but to carry on till 15 or so minutes to go was just poor management),i don't think i'd have bothered going...

as stated by many here ,thank god it was only the carling cup and not the league,but the potential financial implications are a major factor.

Guest oa_exile

IMO the Rochdale & Dingles games have proved we dont have as much strength and depth in the squad that we thought we had.

Not having reserve games could come back and bang us on the arse as the fringe players are not getting much needed match practice.

i must say that these constant references to 'resting' players who actually played in the most desperate part of the game is baffling. greegs, lidds and norm were rested, hughes and 'do do de doo' allessandra were not.

Proof that we wanted to win? And wanted the likes of O'Grady and Smalley to win it for us?

yes, and proof that shez got it wrong.

Im confused...

You say he got it wrong but we played are reserves against a Championship club....

What did you expect last night ? I didnt expect us to win... As soon as Shez said Im going to mix it up tonight I knew exactly what he meant...

It was a chance to give the second string a run out and try them in a different formation. I didnt really think we would win and its funny some of you lot did.

The league is the important thing...

On a second note it does seem we are very reliant on Hughes...he really is the key to promtion this year

Yeah, it was terrible at Crewe wasn't it...

I think 433/451 has worked for us in the past and will probably work for us a number of times this season, especially away.

It wasn't the formation that lost us the game, it was rotating too many Championship standard players.

Ofcourse changing players had a factor but it was blatantly obvious the formation was a major factor. O`Grady was isolated and needed someone with him ... the wide lads were to far away to offer him the support we needed ...

Im confused...

You say he got it wrong but we played are reserves against a Championship club....

What did you expect last night ? I didnt expect us to win... As soon as Shez said Im going to mix it up tonight I knew exactly what he meant...

It was a chance to give the second string a run out and try them in a different formation. I didnt really think we would win and its funny some of you lot did.

The league is the important thing...

On a second note it does seem we are very reliant on Hughes...he really is the key to promtion this year

i expected

flemming

lomax ruuuuuuuubes stam eardley

taylor maher allott deano

lewis o'grady

i epected a win, yes. against a crap side low on confidence.

i expected 442, our formation.

i expected a test, at the level we wish to play next season.

5 changes against a championship side is a change too far. changing system along with parts is a thought too far. matching another teams hoofball is stupid. playing players who were 'rested' shows up theses mistakes, quite simple really. like ive said its easy to take when its unavoidable, but the wholesale changes in tactics, formation and personel was almost england cricket team like in its desire to make things harder than they need to be. experiments are fine but even the best cant do six at once.

Ofcourse changing players had a factor but it was blatantly obvious the formation was a major factor. O`Grady was isolated and needed someone with him ... the wide lads were to far away to offer him the support we needed ...

433 definitely works in the right circumstances, but I agree there were flaws last night. O'Grady isn't the ideal front man for that formation cos he needs someone close to him to knock/flick the ball to. Either the wide players needed to alternate a little and tuck in to support O'Grady, or Whitaker needed to get further forward to support him. Trouble was, Burnley's midfield and wide men didn't really allow us to do that.

I fully agree that going out of the cup is no great loss.

I really, really cannot understand that attitude at all. I wonder what will be said should it've been the Red scum at OT or something like that. Was it no great loss last season vs Uddersfield when we lost either? Chelski away the next round etc. I assure you, Corney won't be smiling inside about losing! It amazes me that fans are happy to see us bow out than get a big tie and boosted finances...esp when Corney's directly discussing them at present.

A cup run is brilliant for squad confidence. It's not like we're going to win it but in early season, when you're finding your fitness levels and now with a decent sized squad to keep happy, a run is good to go on. I really, really hope Burnley now pull someone like Hartlepool away out...but all in all, it saddens me the way fans are about cup games nowadays.

PS Reading Shez's comments about last night...he watched a completely different game to most of us. You were "comfortable" were you Shez??? Thank goodness Yarwood watched the same game I did and ain't afraid to say it...

"They conceded early, had problems containing the hosts and, in truth, ended up being beaten quite comprehensively."

Edited by boundaryblue80

QUOTE(beag_teeets @ Aug 27 2008, 09:33 AM)

I really, really cannot understand that attitude at all.

I agree with you to an extent but the last time we were promoted we went out of the 2 (or 3?) cup comps early doors. Although it was a disappointment at the time (esp after previous "Pinch Me" season) it did help us "concentrate on the league".

But at the same time, it is ironic esp. after Corney's rant.

(Can't believe how much I'm divided about this! Anyone got a fence for me to sit on?)

QUOTE(beag_teeets @ Aug 27 2008, 09:33 AM)

I agree with you to an extent but the last time we were promoted we went out of the 2 (or 3?) cup comps early doors. Although it was a disappointment at the time (esp after previous "Pinch Me" season) it did help us "concentrate on the league".

But at the same time, it is ironic esp. after Corney's rant.

(Can't believe how much I'm divided about this! Anyone got a fence for me to sit on?)

That's the thing people were saying as we walked out of the ground. Didn't help us last season...or the season before....or the...you get the gist. It's the sort of comment people use to soften the blow...One of those lines ya say, that's BS but you say it as though the future will proceed to deliver this promotion. I assure every single Latics fan...if we get promoted in May, it really, really won't be thanks to losing last night! And if we don't get promoted, it's missed opportunites of a big gate that will be affecting next seasons budget and squad that takes to the pitch.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I'm all for staying in all the competitions as long as we can, but frankly I rate the league cup as our fourth most important competition*, so I'm less bothered about being dumped out of that than any of the others.

* - yes, even below the tinpot cup - at least we have a realistic chance of winning that...

First half was diabolical. Hopefully we'll never see that 4-5-1 under Shez again as it's absolute pants.

Why turn up and play such a negative formation in a cup game AGAINST OPPONENTS WHO'S DEFENCE IS ABSOLUTELY DOG........

When we had two upfront. How many mistakes did Burnley make at the back. Absolutely loads. They whacked it for corners, throw in's and looking at them none of them can deal with any pressure and strikers pestering them which is what Lewis and Hughesy did superbly when they came on.

By all means change the players about in these games - but changing to a formation you've already found out in pre season doesnt work, is absolutely ludicrous.

Burnley arent a good side and I think they'll struggle. First half we made them look a good side because we were so easy to play against. No movement, backwards and sideways passing. Hoofing it upto a bloke who was never going to win anything in the air. Quite frankly, no idea.

People saying they're not arsed we're out. You will be if they draw United away. I'm more bothered about the whimper we went out with and the manner we did it. If we'd played how we did the last 25 minute's - we may have won, we may have not. Two upfront and like last season we'd of at least given them a game. Instead we played into the hands of the Championship's most dodgy back line by playing one up top.

The best thing about Burnley was their keeper is good. However it took us until we went two upfront to actually test him.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Id really like to completely forget about last night. Sure i wasnt happy but its like i picked up the paper as i came in from work today, bleating on about the match. For me its gone, its done, dont play 451. Everyone dance top of the league nana. Bring on Colchester. End.

That's the thing people were saying as we walked out of the ground. Didn't help us last season...or the season before....or the...you get the gist. It's the sort of comment people use to soften the blow...One of those lines ya say, that's BS but you say it as though the future will proceed to deliver this promotion. I assure every single Latics fan...if we get promoted in May, it really, really won't be thanks to losing last night! And if we don't get promoted, it's missed opportunites of a big gate that will be affecting next seasons budget and squad that takes to the pitch.

Fair points. I used the only ever season it "worked" in my evidence. I was just trying this "optimism" thing - it's never worked for me yet. but I try it now and again.

I'm all for staying in all the competitions as long as we can, but frankly I rate the league cup as our fourth most important competition*, so I'm less bothered about being dumped out of that than any of the others.

* - yes, even below the tinpot cup - at least we have a realistic chance of winning that...

All things being equal, IMO the League Cup should be the one to focus on (apart from promotion of course). The Tinpot should be about getting match practice for as many fringe players as you can squeeze in under the rules. Give it a good go in one game in the League Cup and you might get a top draw, or a decent one with a fair chance of going through as the other side don't pay attention. FA Cup, see how you are going at the time. I'd take the FA seriously in the third round, the tin pot in the Northern final.

Smalley up top but perhaps the full 90 would have come too soon for Lee, it came too soon for Smalley as he didn't last the 90 (possible engine trouble here?)

He was shagged against Dale come 60 minutes, it could be a concern. He does work his arse off though, he was dead on his feet for half an hour at Luton but was pretty much the only one to keep trying.

Agree with everything said in this thread.

Was like watching England tonight. A manager trying to fit three central midfielders in the team and playing with one man up front. O'Grady was getting a bit of stick but at the end of the day he's not gonna come out on top against two big centre halves. He did all he could.

It says it all about this cup, a league 1 manager playing his reserves. He was kidding himself if he thought that team could go and get a result. Abysmal is an understatement. Burnley there for the taking, chance of a Prem team in the next round, but Shez gets a tad too clever.

E4e

VPOOR

This cup can be a money spinner, and Shez should have gone all out to win the game with a full strength team, as far as possible. Shez got too clever tonight thinking he could use squad players and get a result at a Championship ground. There's a big difference in class. Draw a Prem team at home and there's a good chance of TV money.