did we want to win the game?

what a load of rubbish last night im just annoyed that we changed a winning team for numerous reasons namely

a) confidence

B) what happens if burnley get united away perhaps- 500k we could have done with

4-5-1 was rubbish lump it up top for o grady who won nothing all night it took shez 70 minuted to change it round when we were already down and out at 2-0. Saying this he changed it to try it didnt get it right and has probably learnt it doesnt work and will change it back for saturday.

what a load of rubbish last night im just annoyed that we changed a winning team for numerous reasons namely

a) confidence

B) what happens if burnley get united away perhaps- 500k we could have done with

4-5-1 was rubbish lump it up top for o grady who won nothing all night it took shez 70 minuted to change it round when we were already down and out at 2-0. Saying this he changed it to try it didnt get it right and has probably learnt it doesnt work and will change it back for saturday.

Couldn't understand why he didn't bring Chaddy on second half.

His half time performance was awesome and he would have stirred their back 4 up !!!!!

Seriously though , I was a little disappointed in Shez last night. I think the game was there for the taking if we were a little more positive. It was obvious after 15 mins that 4-5-1 wasn't working yet he only changed it as you say after 70 when were were 2 down.

Sometimes the club don't help themselves - on one hand SC moans about lack of support and the financial implications it may have.

On the other hand we waste the opportunity to have a real go in a competition like this and maybe get a plum draw next round !!!

I don't think we did truly want to win, but the decision to rest Gregan, Crossley and Lidds was right, and to give Flemming a go was also right.

I think last season, we didn't/couldn't rest players and it caught up with us later on in the season.

Not even bothered with the FA Cup or Pot of Paint Trophy; other than beating Morecambe to save embarrassment and using it to play as many reserves as poss.

I know you have to play a certain amount of first teamer, but what if you want to play someone coming back from a long term injury who would be classed as a first teamers ordinarily.

League, League, League every time. And that is rightly what JS is judged on.

Edited by singe

of course we wanted to win, weve too many players to go out on purpose. did shez make a massive balls up? yes. terrible, too many changes. why drop both strikers? pretty annoyed at the waste of £15 plus petrol etcetera, no way i would have gone if i knew he was going to tinker that much. i can accept it in the ldv vans trophy or a friendly but that was shocking, gargantuan underestimation of the opposition

i dont know why everyone is going on!!! f**K me its the carling cup... great start to the season and once again oldham fans going on!!!!

the only problem last night was that we only sing du du du

other song were brill last night and we prob do have the best away support but lets at least try and do some different songs for players

du du du do oldham athletic football club... haha B):grin:

at least we still looked half decent tho with are reserve team haha

ok, but i was forced to spend on beer and junk food AND i gave you £1.55 towards petrol!! all in all about £25 wasted. i can take it when its unavoidable, crap squad or whatever but when we deliberatley match an inferior side and their bobbins formation and hoofball, i cant.

ok, but i was forced to spend on beer and junk food AND i gave you £1.55 towards petrol!! all in all about £25 wasted. i can take it when its unavoidable, crap squad or whatever but when we deliberatley match an inferior side and their bobbins formation and hoofball, i cant.

of course we wanted to win.....but i think it wasnt a massive drop clanger,it just highlighted the need for a regular reserve team and fixtures....

those player that came in last night were nowhere near match fitness,due to a lack of match action......im just glad it was the cup and not the league.

I don't beleive any team ever goes out not wanting to win, but is The Carling Cup a priority? I would say no........ it's way below the league in Shez's mind............ after all from comments made by Simon Corney I fear it could cost Shez his job should we have a poor league season.

Also all these frinmge players need a game to keep there match sharpness.

I can only remember one promotion season. Big Joe adpoted a low key approach to the cups beecause he felt they'd cost us promotion. Limited resources spread over the season means prioritizing. We don't go out to lose, but you have to give older/key players a break.

of course we wanted to win.....but i think it wasnt a massive drop clanger,it just highlighted the need for a regular reserve team and fixtures....

those player that came in last night were nowhere near match fitness,due to a lack of match action......im just glad it was the cup and not the league.

Yes, but were what .. only 5 games in maybe. Even if we had a reserve league i highly doubt it would have made much difference .. at this stage anyway, later in the season yes.

Yes, but were what .. only 5 games in maybe. Even if we had a reserve league i highly doubt it would have made much difference .. at this stage anyway, later in the season yes.

I was wondering about the lack of reserve action. Will it make a long term difference?

Shocking! Shez lost us that game with too much changing of the tactics! I spent £55 last night in total and I'm gutted! wish i hadnt bothered! And yeah the leagues more important! Sack the JPT right off, but with the potential of a premiership team and masses amount of money in the 3rd round of the league cup n fa cup theres no reason not to be trying our hardest to get there! Corney might be keen on more fans, but thats not the only way to get extra money! As i'm sure he found out last year when we went to Everton :angry:

I don't think that Shez wanted to go out of this competition but, I do think that he was a little naive / arrogant to think that he could change 5 players and our formation and still beat a team from a higher division away from home.

Personally I'm not too fussed, we all know that promotion has to be the keyword this season and at the end of the day the players who played last night will have benefitted from the run-out.

Incidentally, does anyone else think it might have been a different story if Lewi's shot on the turn had gone in?