fan's comments about owtb site

2. I cant get a picture to work as my own underneath my name. No matter what I do. No matter what picture I choose I cant get it to work. I've tried a lot.

Pukka - I can help you with this - send me the details of which pic you want (or I can do you a sig gratis), and I'll sort it out for you.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
Unfortunatley quite a few fans, myself included, think the guys who run it aren't very welcoming

As an ex-Admin of this forum let it be known that I welcomed every new member to OWTB and followed up that the new members were happy using OWTB ............and I sent them a Happy Birthday message by PM :grin:

That is because I am a nice guy and very welcoming :tongue1: but if you crossed me .......... :exile:

So Billy in the words of Jim Royle "aren't very welcoming" my arse :ass3:

Guest sheridans_world
Pukka - I can help you with this - send me the details of which pic you want (or I can do you a sig gratis), and I'll sort it out for you.

Already beat you to it - via PM :grin:

Mmm, that's not very nice now is it Billy. Especially after I did welcome you to our forums after all. Perhaps oafc.co.uk isn't such the quaint alternative you have depicted previously...

Apologies for your misinterpretation of the word 'welcome'. I didn't mean a literal welcoming or a birthday greeting but was stressing the point that it's hard to become 'one of the lads' on here unless you're glued to your computer or if you know members from outside the big bad world that is the internet.

Don't really want to drag oafc.co.uk regulars into it but i think this sums it up nicely:

this is like your local pub, good banter and honest opinions, homely feel.

OWTB is like a beefeater or toby carvery. All a bit fake, trying to create a genuine feeling.

Hope i've cleared a few things up! PS oafc.co.uk is the quaint alternative i depicted earlier. The transgression from oafc.co.uk to OWTB in terms of football league status is the equivalent of League 2 to Championship. Maybe some people just like a bit less traffic.

:lol1:

Guest sheridans_world
Apologies for your misinterpretation of the word 'welcome'. I didn't mean a literal welcoming or a birthday greeting but was stressing the point that it's hard to become 'one of the lads' on here unless you're glued to your computer or if you know members from outside the big bad world that is the internet.

Don't really want to drag oafc.co.uk regulars into it but i think this sums it up nicely:

Hope i've cleared a few things up! PS oafc.co.uk is the quaint alternative i depicted earlier. The transgression from oafc.co.uk to OWTB in terms of football league status is the equivalent of League 2 to Championship. Maybe some people just like a bit less traffic.

:lol1:

So basically you feel threatened by OWTB's quick success. That makes sense, its huge growth and up-to-date features are something that oafc.co.uk can not compete with. You are like the local pub stalwart, rarely ventures out of pastures known to say, Royton where you can find noisy and fake establishments such as the White Hart, where everyone is fake, I assume you are a tandle hill tavern kind of guy. Nice and quaint, little or no traffic, nothing out of the ordinary happens and nothing changes.

You dont have to know people in the 'real' world to get along here. When I first signed up to this board I knew none of its members. 0. The only other latics fans I knew were ones I knew from elsewhere. This board has helped me enjoy watching latics all over the country.

oafc.co.uk with its archaic layout is out-of-date and will eventually bite the dust because the clique that billy and bob have formed will be broken. Get into present day, enrol on a computer course and learn how to use it properly and you will benefit from the many enhancements made since oafc.co.uk's inception. If oafc.co.uk had kept up with technological advacements, you wouldnt be here moaning today and I doubt there would even be a owtb.co.uk. But there is.

It's interesting to hear different views on the site, particularly those of people who don't necessarily like it. In the end, it comes down to each individual's choice of course and that will dictate whether people use OWTB.

Can't please all of the people, all of time.

Guest sheridans_world
Get into present day, enrol on a computer course and learn how to use it properly and you will benefit from the many enhancements made since oafc.co.uk's inception. If oafc.co.uk had kept up with technological advacements, you wouldnt be here moaning today and I doubt there would even be a owtb.co.uk. But there is.

P.s. If you would like help getting used to OWTB, I will be more than happy to help guide you and point you in the right direction.

Guest sheridans_world
let me point out that i am bob-oafc on that site and not bob...

I understand that bob, I am refering to the member called 'bob' on oafc.co.uk

So basically you feel threatened by OWTB's quick success.

You've got the wrong end of the stick pal. As i stated at the end of my post people like it a little less crowded and i'm one of those people. As Stevie_J rightly said, 'Can't please all of the people, all of time.' When did i even imply that i felt 'threatened'? Of course the official forum is going to be thriving. Common sense. Re-read the posts i've posted and stop putting words in my mouth.

the clique that billy and bob have formed will be broken.

Stop threatening me/us! :( Me and Bob will come round with our 56k modems and boink you round the head if you don't start behaving...

Get into present day, enrol on a computer course and learn how to use it properly and you will benefit from the many enhancements made since oafc.co.uk's inception.

I'm quite happy with my computer skills thank you very much. I cope perfectly fine getting my way around the site and posting responses. I've hit 2008 with a bang! I just happened to be the only one to echo the sentiments of my fellow unofficial minions! The original response from Rummey was exactly the kind of response I expected and thanks for that. It's just a shame you have people like this chap who turn the slightest implication into school ground gang warfare.

If oafc.co.uk had kept up with technological advacements, you wouldnt be here moaning today and I doubt there would even be a owtb.co.uk. But there is.

oafc.co.uk has never been a particularly well used site. News floats around, banter gets around, the community is good. Who knows... maybe the chap who very kindly pays for its continuation will upgrade to a year 2000 version in the near future but for now the majority are happy with things as they are.

Thanks for your calculated contribution sheridans_world.

I'm a member of a forum here in Germany called Toytown Germany. It used to be called Toytownmunich* until fairly recently when it merged with a forum based in northern Germany called Britboard.de. In the very beginning there was a fair amount of opposition to the merge because the forum was very Munich orientated as thre is a bigger expat crowd living here, eventually though most have gotten used to the new set up and things run as smoothly as they can do.

*Why Toytown? - The name came from the observation that Munich is not a real town. Real towns have litter, crime, visible poverty, heroin addicts lurking at the railway station, vomit on the pavements, and so on. Munich has none of this. Munich is not real. It's an ideological town where everything is perfect. The environment is clean, crime is very low, and the public transport runs on time to the second. In general, the quality of life here is very high.

I can tell you now that a week wont go by where someone will post about how unfriendly they find other members, or that they dont feel part of the crowd. I myself committed the cardinal newbie sin of not searching properly before I did my first post and incurred the wrath of danoafc, I actually laughed about it's usually a daily occurance on TT and as it's exactly the same software, it's a mistake I shouldnt have made. I dont and never have felt unwelcome here and I dont know a single person. In the main Latics news bit, I see people asking for lifts or where they'll be meeting at away games. Hell, on the off chance I get over I wouldnt mind meeting up for a few drinks before a game.

I'm grateful for this site, cos after 5 years of living in Germany, I actually feel like BP is not far away from me anymore.

But I do have a few gripes.... :aplayer1:

1) People replying in some threads will copy the entire OP's post, even though it's the next response in line. Copying and posting this much text is unnecessary as its just more sscreen to scroll through, especially if someone has posted that nights Chronicle article. The not only does the 2nd poster do, but the 3rd, 6th etc, etc, etc.

2) On the point of posting full artciles from the Chron, or any other official news source. This is something the mods should look in to. Isn't there a limit on the number of words you can copy from an article? I raise the issue because we have a limit on TT, we cannot post the whole article, just a paragraph or so including a link to the orginal article. A few years back, our forum owner was hit with a 380€(285quid or so) fine because one forum user ilegally but not knowingly used a map image. I'd hate to see the guys here in a similar fix.

Edited by 3 Lions

Guest sheridans_world
You've got .... sheridans_world.

Well in that case, dont come here complaining.

Enjoy oafc.co.uk like you always have.

Sorry we couldnt do anything for you.

Guest sheridans_world
But I do have a few gripes.... :aplayer1:

1) People replying in some threads will copy the entire OP's post, even though it's the next response in line. Copying and posting this much text is unnecessary as its just more sscreen to scroll through, especially if someone has posted that nights Chronicle article. The not only does the 2nd poster do, but the 3rd, 6th etc, etc, etc.

Thats a gripe of my own! :grin:

2) On the point of posting full artciles from the Chron, or any other official news source. This is something the mods should look in to. Isn't there a limit on the number of words you can copy from an article? I raise the issue because we have a limit on TT, we cannot post the whole article, just a paragraph or so including a link to the orginal article. A few years back, our forum owner was hit with a 380€(285quid or so) fine because one forum user ilegally but not knowingly used a map image. I'd hate to see the guys here in a similar fix.

We know we cannot publish articles from the OS and league fixtures word for word (articles) and in full (fixtures). As for the Chron, we've never had any issues as we always credit the articles with come from the chron so thus the chron is getting free advertising! If they have a problem with it, they have not contacted us about it! :)

Right. Now as if by magic - I have an avitar! I did the same thing yesterday - same picture and it didn't work.

I honestly did do the same thing, swiped it across. Damn gremlins.

Thanks for the help.

I said it on Saturday and I'll say it again. Monkey-sick yellow really is not Chaddy's colour.

Don't really want to drag oafc.co.uk regulars into it...

But you will anyway...

This is getting daft. Our site, your site, their site, that site.

I was very nice to you, but I'm very surprised and upset that the "local pub clientèle"of oafc.co.uk do not feel the same way about us or indeed just the mod team. Your opinions of the OWTB community over here are a little confusing though. You say you (and others) feel like OWTB is plenty cliquey - so then it's a bit like that feeling that one gets upon entering an unfamiliar pub, y'know that local pub - for local people?

See what I'm getting at?

Good :)

No matter what kind of sites we have, and how many visitiors we all get, the dynamics are exactly the same. But you and your friends will be always welcome here, although I cannot guarantee that the 400 or so regular posters will share your views. It can be hard putting your points across and it can be difficult to maintain the stance when your under a barrage of opposing posts. Perhaps that's what puts some people off, and not the knitting circles...

All Oldham Athletic fans together... exactly.

PS If anybody's noticed I wasn't actually the one who started this thread (Tel-Aviv Bob you backstabber :mad: ). I was just trying to shine some light on the situation as I was extremely surprised when somebody informed me it'd been copied and pasted up here.

Anyway.. bring on the plastic Scousers!

All Oldham Athletic fans together... exactly.

PS If anybody's noticed I wasn't actually the one who started this thread (Tel-Aviv Bob you backstabber :mad: ). I was just trying to shine some light on the situation as I was extremely surprised when somebody informed me it'd been copied and pasted up here.

Anyway.. bring on the plastic Scousers!

I personally can appreciate your comments billy (i.e. at the end of the day its not your cup of tea) but I do think its hard for you to defend your site on here considering some of the comments that have been made about OWTB on OAFC.co.uk. Personally I can see truth in some of your comments (I think this board is mostly made up of ignorant :clown:s .................... :wink:) but as soon as I find a message board that doesn't have its imperfections, I will probably die of boredom (and that day apparently is the 26th December 2037 - see other in joke thread :lol: ).

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Guest oa_exile
You are like the local pub stalwart, rarely ventures out of pastures known to say, Royton where you can find noisy and fake establishments such as the White Hart, where everyone is fake

Really ? :blink:

4) The fact that unless you are signed up to OWTB you can't have a say in some of the polls which affect the club.

Yes you can, the important polls are mirrored on the official as well. Plus doesn't one have to sign up to oafc.co.uk to interact?

Thing that gets me is why does one have to sign up to merely read the board? You don't with oafc.co.uk you didn't with JKL. I fully appreciated the need to register to actually interact on here, but why isn't the main "official" Latics forum, sanctioned by the club open to the wider world? Surely the views of the main Latics mb aren't so secret they have to be hidden away. Its often interesting to go and read the views of teams we have or are about to play yet unless I'm mistaken OWTB precludes this.

I know a few people who would never in a million years want or need to post owt on any MB but were always browsers and lurkers on JKL, not every Latics fan wants to interact, but I bet there are many who'd "graze" if the opportunity were there.

All that said maybe its just me, maybe you can view without logging in, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thing that gets me is why does one have to sign up to merely read the board? You don't with oafc.co.uk you didn't with JKL. I fully appreciated the need to register to actually interact on here, but why isn't the main "official" Latics forum, sanctioned by the club open to the wider world? Surely the views of the main Latics mb aren't so secret they have to be hidden away. Its often interesting to go and read the views of teams we have or are about to play yet unless I'm mistaken OWTB precludes this.

I know a few people who would never in a million years want or need to post owt on any MB but were always browsers and lurkers on JKL, not every Latics fan wants to interact, but I bet there are many who'd "graze" if the opportunity were there.

All that said maybe its just me, maybe you can view without logging in, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I do agree on that actually.