fan's comments about owtb site

just seen a few coments about this site on the e-zine http://www.oafc.co.uk/ some find this site too busy ,and very hard to understand it ,with too many rooms in it

where do you post, 101 different rooms. also when its just a 'few' like you have on here you get to know what people are like and how to interpret their posts.

i like it here, simple and works, OWTB isnt and doesnt

belive me its the best site for us latics fans (owtb) with up to date news on latics , bar the chat when mark OASIS is 3weeks behind on lw :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

admin moving or merging posts is very annoying.

but not as annoying as non-admin posters pointing out that a thread's already been done or this is the "wrong forum" :angry:

(in the bad old days) i used to have an hour to log on at work & if you've got summat to say you haven't got time to read the whole board just in case, god forbid :shock: , someone's already posted similar.

and all this "titanic" stuff is just cringeworthy. it was funny the first 2 times on jklatics but since................. :unsure:

apart from that I LOVE IT!!!! :grin:

(aaaannnnd...........relax)

anyone else got anything to get off their chests??? :lol:

Edited by dfOAFC

just seen a few coments about this site on the e-zine http://www.oafc.co.uk/ some find this site too busy ,and very hard to understand it ,with too many rooms in it belive me its the best site for us latics fans (owtb) with up to date news on latics , bar the chat when mark OASIS is 3weeks behind on lw :D

"Ive never been on it but biggest is not always the best,as the actress said to the bishop.This board has a good mixture of posters and I like reading all the various posts.Long may it continue. "

Denying the fact you're one of the top osters on here, eh Bob? :wink:

"Ive never been on it but biggest is not always the best,as the actress said to the bishop.This board has a good mixture of posters and I like reading all the various posts.Long may it continue. "

Denying the fact you're one of the top osters on here, eh Bob? :wink:

Think you've got the wrong Bob. "Our" Bob is bob-oafc on there...

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I wish Mark would open the Chatroom more often.

Unfortunately I like to go to watch the games live now and then so I'm not around to open the chat.... sorry but thats the way it is.

Bob ... seems I'm only 2 weeks behind on LW these days :grin:

Hello chaps/chappettes. Just wanted to clear a few things up.

The main point was that the thread on oafc.co.uk was in no way a direct pop at the OWTB set up.

A few points raised were:

1) Some of the threads can get far too crowded. It's not everybody's cup of tea to be filtering through pages of replys to get the general gist of a thread.

2) The fact that there are several different areas to the message board compared to oafc.co.uk's simple one page board. None Latics news is posted from time to time but many of the contributers prefer to keep the threads to Latics related topics.

3) The sense of a community. Every poster is taken seriously and their opinion counts. At times it's a bit off-putting to see the dominance of the same posters on OWTB commenting on every single thread. (& often private jokes which the average joe won't understand kills the discussion for other members)

4) The fact that unless you are signed up to OWTB you can't have a say in some of the polls which affect the club.

We're not saying this message board is bad in anyway. It's modern, informative, has a wide slection of members and is now the Official message board of Oldham Athletic. All we're trying to say is try not to neglect simplicity and try not to neglect the minority posters as many fans, including myself, also have an opinion!

Peas and Loaf

It's always great to get some feedback from the fans, thanks for that. Can I also add that it's always good to hear from you guys over on oafc.co.uk, I used to use that site back in 1997 when I started out on the internet, and will always be a special place for the older internet guys like myself, Nik and a few others - who will ever forget Fat Bloke in Orange, Plakki, and all the other characters that may or may not be still amongst us with different user names!

Give my regards to the others on oafc.co.uk, our door is always open!

Me casa, su casa!

Now onto your points Billy, I'll keep them short and to the point - so please don't think I'm being abrupt.

1) Some of the threads can get far too crowded. It's not everybody's cup of tea to be filtering through pages of replys to get the general gist of a thread.

Probably due to the large amount of traffic we have, and the nigh on 2000 members.

2) The fact that there are several different areas to the message board compared to oafc.co.uk's simple one page board. None Latics news is posted from time to time but many of the contributors prefer to keep the threads to Latics related topics.

We keep our Latics stuff in one place too, users can just bookmark the Latics forum, or collapse the other forums to leave only the bits the user requires. Users are generally considered to have a shared interest in other subjects, why not exploit that and set up area for them to get together?

3) The sense of a community. Every poster is taken seriously and their opinion counts. At times it's a bit off-putting to see the dominance of the same posters on OWTB commenting on every single thread. (& often private jokes which the average joe won't understand kills the discussion for other members)

The two message boards have exactly the same dynamic - only oafc.co.uk is just on a much smaller scale.

4) The fact that unless you are signed up to OWTB you can't have a say in some of the polls which affect the club.

Yes you can, the important polls are mirrored on the official as well. Plus doesn't one have to sign up to oafc.co.uk to interact?

not very nice thing to say billy

it WAS the newest unofficial Latics forum but it's grown rapidly in popularity over the past few months. The official club forum was quieter than a graveyard at haloween and the other popular unofficial forum, JKLatics, doesn't exist anymore. The club recently decided to move the official club forum to OWTB (Oh When The Blues) and has sinse allowed a group of fans (admins) to have a say in entrance/goal music short-lists, new kit polls etc. They even have their own clothing brand which is on sale in the club shop.

Unfortunatley quite a few fans, myself included, think the guys who run it aren't very welcoming. Unless you're 'in' you won't understand half of the private jokes. Some posters are EXTREMELY stubborn and opinionated and quite a lot of the threads filter out into pointless chat and private jokes It's good being up-to-date with news about your club but some people need to relax on the old rumour and potential news front

Only gripes I have are:

1. People often dont read posts - and misinterpret what is said due to themselves, that is what happens on all messageboards and cant be helped.

2. I cant get a picture to work as my own underneath my name. No matter what I do. No matter what picture I choose I cant get it to work. I've tried a lot.

3. Titanic - yeah, funny.

This is only a forum though. I would like to see articles and maybe even OWTB giving out a player of the season award. On the pitch (as player of the season should be). One idea I has was for a fan of the week to write a game review. That fan also scores the players. At the end of the season all scores are totalled and that is the official OWTB player of the season. Each game the fan is different. It allows different people to review it - in their own style.

Other than that I think people on here do a great job, moderate it very well and should be commended on their efforts. Keep it up. I'd be lost without OWTB.

Edited by pukka

This is only a forum though. I would like to see articles and maybe even OWTB giving out a player of the season award. On the pitch (as player of the season should be). One idea I has was for a fan of the week to write a game review. That fan also scores the players. At the end of the season all scores are totalled and that is the official OWTB player of the season. Each game the fan is different. It allows different people to review it - in their own style.

Other than that I think people on here do a great job, moderate it very well and should be commended on their efforts. Keep it up. I'd be lost without OWTB.

we actually had a player of the season award presented on the pitch in the last home game of the season. it was decided by an online poll.

as for your idea about matchreview and player of the season award for this season, i see this as a good idea and maybe this could be concidered for this season.

Seem to recall one the season before as well :unsure:

Yes, that's right. Me and Beardy presented Warney with the inaugral OWTB poison chalice player of the year award, pitchside - before the end of the 06/07 season.

Unfortunatley quite a few fans, myself included, think the guys who run it aren't very welcoming

Mmm, that's not very nice now is it Billy. Especially after I did welcome you to our forums after all. Perhaps oafc.co.uk isn't such the quaint alternative you have depicted previously...