Abandoned matches

Reading the post bellow about the possible postponement of tomorrow's match made me wonder how many abandoned games the Latics have been involved in.

I was at Stoke in the late '70's when the FA Cup match was called off at half time and I seem to remember a LDV/ZDS (?) cup match against the same team suffered floodlight failure a few years ago. Have there been any more?

Yes I do live in SriRacha. However, I think that you're confusing it with somewhere else. It's a port just south of Chonburi on the eastern seaboard. It is a great place, though. And I agree with your general comment about Thailand. :)

i remember a game that was called off about 7pm due to fog, we were waiting to go in but they hadnt opened the gates. cant remember who it was against, maybe charlton? must have been a big fog cos tranmere played and it was foggy there on't highlights.

I had a similar experience on a school trip to watch an England match in the late seventies. The match was called off with all the crowd standing outside Wembley. It was rescheduled for the following night and I had tickets to see The Damned.

In the end I decided to travel to London again to watch the game - Hoddle's debut, if I remember correctly - and I met Matt Busby! Well, I've seen The Damned loads of times!!

i remember a game that was called off about 7pm due to fog, we were waiting to go in but they hadnt opened the gates. cant remember who it was against, maybe charlton? must have been a big fog cos tranmere played and it was foggy there on't highlights.

Wasn't that a game in Sheffield. I remember turning back on the M1 pretty late on for one which was called off there.

Yes I do live in SriRacha. However, I think that you're confusing it with somewhere else. It's a port just south of Chonburi on the eastern seaboard. It is a great place, though. And I agree with your general comment about Thailand. :)

I travelled for 6 wks around there, loved every minute - Ko Chang has got to be the most beautiful place on the planet, up there with my view of the valley when i was a kid on Holts

i think it wa against barnsley in the cup

Yeah, it was definitely Charlton. Was talking to a couple of their fans after it in the Old Grey Mare. Felt gutted for them.

IIRC It was around 1995/96. The cup game against Barnsley rings a bell too, think that was also postponed close to kick off.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Yeah, it was definitely Charlton. Was talking to a couple of their fans after it in the Old Grey Mare. Felt gutted for them.

IIRC It was around 1995/96. The cup game against Barnsley rings a bell too, think that was also postponed close to kick off.

phew. far too often i am told i remember things that didnt happen!!

i prefer the view behind, of the golf course and harshead pike. splendid rolling hills.

Agree 100%. I often go up Knowles Lane to the back of the Pike and the Hartshead pub for meals. Hartshead Pike to me is like one of the wonders of the world. I look out for it like kids look for Blackpool Tower.

2265815026_41fbc6bc95.jpg

Ko Chang has got to be the most beautiful place on the planet, up there with my view of the valley when i was a kid on Holts

i prefer the view behind, of the golf course and harshead pike. splendid rolling hills.

I used to live on Covert Road, Holts and was a caddy at the Golf Club. Picked whimberry on the golf course.

We had a night game against Bristol City (?) postponed due to a waterlogged pitch - it should have been on SkyTV.

Went in the Clayton Arms for some potato pie and found out that some Shamrock Rovers fans were on their way from the ferry. Waited for them and had a great night. I advised them that they would not get into a night club wearing trainers. Not only that, but they were carrying a sports bag full of duty free alcohol, green hooped shirts and scaves and the SRFC Irish tricolour flag, which they had planned to show to the world on Sky. They got into the club no problem.

On the way home we were diverted around Hadfield due to a flooded road.

Another time a game was postponed due to fog. We drove onto the car park from Furtherwood Road, heard on Radio Latics that the game was off and drove out again onto Broadway to go the 70 miles back home. Kept the car park ticket and used it for the next home game. B)

I used to live on Covert Road, Holts and was a caddy at the Golf Club. Picked whimberry on the golf course.

used to be able to find golf balls and swap 3 for a cone of chips from the chippy, early 90s holts.....beautiful...Still got me old ma on there but dont visit the plac that much, miss the 7 hour footy games during the summer holidays though

Is Chonburi the port you get to Ko Chang by? Rings a bell

Edited by longtimeblue

Think it was 1996 - 1997 vs charlton. As remember in the replayed game charlton scored in the last minute

was due to bad fog if i remember correctly

Is Chonburi the port you get to Ko Chang by? Rings a bell

No. Chonburi is a large city about an hour south east of BKK. Koh Chang is in Trat province in the south east of Thailand. Maybe you're thinking of Chanthaburi? Or there is a much smaller island called Koh Si Chang which is a 40 minute ferry ride from where I live.