Carlisle are Bobbins...

Ita quiet monday so... I have constantly wondered how this team win games, for me, they are not a good side, have no players I am scared of, and man for man, they are nothing but a mid-table team who have a great home record...

... anyway, its been annoying me why they are on the same points as us, and they constantly do well... so lets have a look at thier first few games...

Bristol Rovers 2-3 Carlisle

Carlisle 4-2 Crewe

Leyton Orient 0-0 Carlisle

Carlisle 4-1 Yeovil

Carlisle 2-1 Southend

How easy is that compared to our start? - 3 games at home, and only Southend could be considered anything but bottom 10 contenders.... I just cant see them having another good season.... get our home form sorted and Carlisle will be nothing to wory about...

Oh well... as I say, a bit random, however they are one of the teams that I really cant understand how they win so many games.... the next most overrated team for me is MK Dongs - lets see how that works out on saturday...

:wink:

Ita quiet monday so... I have constantly wondered how this team win games, for me, they are not a good side, have no players I am scared of, and man for man, they are nothing but a mid-table team who have a great home record...

... anyway, its been annoying me why they are on the same points as us, and they constantly do well... so lets have a look at thier first few games...

Carlisle 4-2 Crewe

Carlisle 4-1 Yeovil

Carlisle 2-1 Southend

How easy is that compared to our start? - 3 games at home, and only Southend could be considered anything but bottom 10 contenders.... I just cant see them having another good season.... get our home form sorted and Carlisle will be nothing to wory about...

Oh well... as I say, a bit random, however they are one of the teams that I really cant understand how they win so many games.... the next most overrated team for me is MK Dongs - lets see how that works out on saturday...

You can only beat the teams that you play -

Like us they have done well on limited resources and i would prefer to see Carlisle come up with us than Leeds for instance.

Don't know how you can knock a team like that ???????????????

You can only beat the teams that you play -

Like us they have done well on limited resources and i would prefer to see Carlisle come up with us than Leeds for instance.

Don't know how you can knock a team like that ???????????????

they obviously have a good collective spirit and from what i have seen over the last few seasons they have a decent home record,unlike us.

like has been said,they dont choose the fixtures and teams can only play who they are given,you say you cant understand how they do well and are up there.....i would hazard a guess and say that 3/4 of the league are wondering exactly the same about us.

like has been said,they dont choose the fixtures and teams can only play who they are given,you say you cant understand how they do well and are up there.....i would hazard a guess and say that 3/4 of the league are wondering exactly the same about us.

I would say we have 'bigger name' players than Carlisle.......as well as some excellent youngsters who will be the envy of 3/4 of the division.

I would say that we only think we have bigger name players because we see ours week in week out. I cant see how anyone can comment on the quality of Carlisle's team after seeing them for 4 game max last year (2 league games vs us and 2 play off games), unless your a closet Carlisle fan.

For the record i thought we were better than them in both our league games last year but look where they finished compared to us!

Edited by wozz_oafc

Think one or two on here need to get real.....Yes, we have had a good start and are top, but it's who's top in May that counts.

You can critisise Carlisle all you want but they have scored plenty of goals and also had a good start, they will certainly be no mugs and a victory at Bristol Rovers is a pretty decent result.

How comments can be made about M K Dons being overated is a mystery as they're in the top six and we've not even seen them play yet!!!

The season's a marathon not a sprint and we shouldn't get carried away as we could fall away from the top just as easy as we got there with a couple of bad results!

I would say that we only think we have bigger name players because we see ours week in week out.

I was thinking of the likes of Hughes, Gregan, Crossley and Liddell. You could even add Davies, Taylor and Eardley to those. 'Big name' players at our level.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Carlisle proved last year that they were a very good side, and although they've lost Westwood and Graham, they'll still be a force this year...

I do question the comment on this thread that we're not good at home...off the top of my head since we beat Carlisle at BP in Feb, we've only dropped points against Millwall (1-1) and Pools (0-2). That's a pretty good record to me.

I saw them play PNE in a pre season friendly and they didn't really impress me at all. Looked fairly solid at the back and just relied on Dobie to create down the right hand side. Apart from that there was very little threat from them. I predicted a finish just outside the play off positions so i'm surprised they've started so well.

I do question the comment on this thread that we're not good at home...off the top of my head since we beat Carlisle at BP in Feb, we've only dropped points against Millwall (1-1) and Pools (0-2). That's a pretty good record to me.

i was going to say the same about our home record. we have a 100% record this year at bp (albeit from 2 games). i can understand where the OP is coming from, he isnt slagging them off, just questioning how they consistantly do so well. we outclassed carlisle twice last year and im sure this is what he refers to when he says we have the better team.

I would think, or expect carlisle to drop down the league, possibly making the play offs, but not contending for automatic. yes you can only beat what is put infront of you, but while their opposition hasnt been the greatest, they have still only managed to keep one clean sheet. not what you need if you are to get promotion.

Carlisle have been a well organised and consistent team for a few seasons now. Don't let too many in, keep your shape, get set pieces sorted out and you will do OK in the League. Basically, the Scunny promotion team but without Sharp and KeoFord. The only thing that pisses me off is why we can't play the better type of football that we are capable of but still score as many at set pieces as the more cloggerish teams do.

I would say we have 'bigger name' players than Carlisle.......as well as some excellent youngsters who will be the envy of 3/4 of the division.

Carlisle have one of the biggest names in League One History..........

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson

I'll get my coat :rifle::getmecoat:

i was going to say the same about our home record. we have a 100% record this year at bp (albeit from 2 games). i can understand where the OP is coming from, he isnt slagging them off, just questioning how they consistantly do so well. we outclassed carlisle twice last year and im sure this is what he refers to when he says we have the better team.

I would think, or expect carlisle to drop down the league, possibly making the play offs, but not contending for automatic. yes you can only beat what is put infront of you, but while their opposition hasnt been the greatest, they have still only managed to keep one clean sheet. not what you need if you are to get promotion.

Thanks Phil!

Exactly - I aint slagging them off... I was just musing as to how they win so many games, team spirit? Good management? Being in Scotland? Who knows...

All i am saying is that over 46 games I would be very unhappy if Carlisle are above us - we have a squad for me that should batter a team like theirs...

That is a bloody easy start to the season too... dont care what people say.... dont think you will get much harder games than Leeds, Colchester and the Bin-Dippers away this season... to be top after those is very very satisfying... if very ealy to get over-excited...

As for the comments on MK Dons - I just cant see how you can win that many games with Wilbraham and Gallen up front, lets find out on saturday....

Carlisle proved last year that they were a very good side, and although they've lost Westwood and Graham, they'll still be a force this year...

Thought Graham was their top scorer =\

Carlisle 4-2 Crewe

Carlisle 4-1 Yeovil

Carlisle 2-1 Southend

Are the Gas bottom 10 contenders? They've scored 4 in their last game away at Peterborough, got a draw at Leeds and put 6 past Hereford. They went a long way in the FA cup last season and took out a few Prem/Champs teams. I'd expect them to be top half come May.

Carlisle were the worst team to visit BP last season. I still think they massively over achieved and were exposed in the last 10 games or so of the season. I really don't expect them to be up there at the end of this season, then again I didn't expect Colchester to finish 2nd when they did.

Before the start of the season I was thinking of having a cheeky punt on Carlisle to go down (they were 4th favourites to go up so had good odds) I'm glad I didn't as I can't see them going down after the start they've had. I don't think they will feature in the play-offs this season but they could well be the sort of team where the promotion contenders drop points. Carlisle is a trek for all but a few clubs (I think we may be the nearest and we're 100 miles away) and they will get a lot of points at home this season but not as many as last year I think. I wouldn't say they are over-rated too much though (after all Leeds and Leicester are going to walk this league and MK Dongs and Chav will be in the play-offs don't you know). However, their games played does make me feel a bit better about our chances though as our fixture list has been a lot harder and I would expect we'd get roughly the same number of points from the same games as they've got but I'd doubt they'd get the same number of points from ours. Usually someone that has a good start fades quite quickly and I think Carlisle may be that team but time will tell.