Travel - train stations

Hi,

MK Dons fan here. Congratulations on your start to the season! Early days, but I'm sure you're enjoying being top.

I'm travelling by train on Saturday and wanted to check something. We've booked to Werneth because your official site says that's the nearest station. It says it's a 15 min walk to Werneth compared to 45 mins to Mumps, but it doesn't look like that on the map. Mumps doesn't look much further than Werneth, and there's more frequent trains to Manchester from Mumps. (Time could be a bit tight for catching our connection after the match.)

Is really better to use Werneth?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

MK Dons fan here. Congratulations on your start to the season! Early days, but I'm sure you're enjoying being top.

I'm travelling by train on Saturday and wanted to check something. We've booked to Werneth because your official site says that's the nearest station. It says it's a 15 min walk to Werneth compared to 45 mins to Mumps, but it doesn't look like that on the map. Mumps doesn't look much further than Werneth, and there's more frequent trains to Manchester from Mumps. (Time could be a bit tight for catching our connection after the match.)

Thanks,

Dave

your best to get off at mumps and then get a bus from there to the ground (or you can walk should the weather be nice!)

check this website www.gmpte.com as that contains all the local buses.

if you dont want to walk, you can get the 82,83 (most frequent) and get off at the main bus station, then get the 409 bus to the hospital.

Werneth is closer to Manchester, but you'd probably be better off using Mills Hill. It's a straight walk down hill, which will take 20-30 minutes. It's closer again and imo easier to get to, there's even a couple of pubs nearby, which The Rose of Lancaster would probably be best.

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave

If there is a few of you a taxi back to Picadilly will be no more than 20 quid. Think its usually around £11 - £16. So if there is a full cab not too pricey at all and you will not miss your connection.

Dave,

Werneth is about 1/2 mile and Mumps is about 2 mile from ground.

I think all trains that leave Mumps bound for manchester call at Werneth anyway. I stand corrected if somebody knows better.

Dont worry about missing your train - you will be able to leave at 4.30 - We can see you sneakin' out! LOL!

Enjoy the trip and the game.

Ste

Any of the three stations can be used.

If walking, I'd say Werneth, as it's roughly a straight line from station to ground. Check the times though, as I think more trains stop at Mumps!

If struggling for time, why not organise a taxi for after the game?

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do...amp;y=0&M=0

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave

Hi mate, Welcome to the board!

Oldham mumps is roughly half a mile further than Oldham werneth to the ground.

When typing in on Route planners it states Oldham Werneth is 1.6 miles away from Boundary park, with Oldham mumps being 2.2 miles.

If trains are more frequent from Manchester to Mumps, id personally use the Oldham Mumps station that is if you don't mind the extra half mile. Also many buses run to the Oldham centre and its not a far walk from there and it would also be much better to taxi it too.

Hope this helps!

Edited by ste1987

Werneth is closer to the ground than Mumps or Mills Hill....all the trains that go to Mumps go past Oldham Werneth - Werneth is actually the stop before Mumps.

Getting off at either Mumps or Werneth will involve a bit of a trek......if I was you I'd get off at Mumps...you're pretty much in town then and after having a few swift ones you can jump in a taxi which will cost you about 2 quid to the ground. The nearest boozer to Oldham Werneth is the Halal Inn, I :censored: you not...

Edited by Yard Dog

Assuming you are coming from Manchester it's mad not to catch the 24 or 182 bus rather than get the local train.

PS. no ill offence to you or your friends and I wish you a safe day's journey, but I hope your club crumbles into dust, and the sooner the better.

Assuming you are coming from Manchester it's mad not to catch the 24 or 182 bus rather than get the local train.

PS. no ill offence to you or your friends and I wish you a safe day's journey, but I hope your club crumbles into dust, and the sooner the better.

Seconded (again no offence to you personally)

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave

Mumps is better as there is direct express trains that call at Mumps only and only take around 15mins there Rochdale via Oldham. From the station going under subway and walk 10min into Oldham then get on a 409 to the ground.

If you want to get off at Werneth its about 20 min walk. You want a train service to Shaw this also calls at Mumps.

As from Mills Hill i could not direct you but you would want to jump on a Rochdale via Castleton service 10min from Victoria.

Day saver on the bus £3.70 from Picadilli to the shrine that is Boundary Park like LL says, 24 or 182. Total walking for that option is about 1/2 a mile in total.

This is definitely the best option, much quicker, less walking and gets you back to Manc a LOT quicker than the walk and the train will.

i agree about getting the 182/24.

assumming you are arriving at piccadilly,you'll have to walk across the city/get the station bus shuttle to victoria.

far quicker to walk 5 mins to piccadilly gardens for the bus.

as advised,get on the first bus only ands ask for a first bus day ticket-£3.70.

24 will dump you 2 mins walk from the ground,182 stops outside oldham general hospital,5 mins walk...or if on 24 you are wanting prematch bevvies,ask the driver to alert you to get off at "end of broadway"..cross the road and there are a choice of 3 friendly pubs-across the road(carters-an manu pub..spit),or turn back on yourself to for the white hart (the biggest and popular) and the grey mare(now a city free zone!!).these pubs are all on the way to the ground.

Jesus! When the Latics Liner was running you could just pull the cord and get off where you wanted!

Disclaimer: his is by no means an admission of guilt. On no account am I admitting to ever using the communication cord to stop the train near Chelsea. Or anywhere. Not me. Honestly.

Just a note on the buses...while the service is good on the way im not sure about heading back towards Manchester...i used to get the bus all the time to the games when i lived in Sheff but found they werent very frequent on the way back and difficult to find where to get them from!!If you do get the bus there be prepared to taxi back.

Thanks again for the advice. In the end we took the train to Werneth, since we'd already paid for tickets through to Oldham. The walk took about 20 mins, which was fine for catching the 17.35 back to Victoria - even after all the added time.

I see another Dons fan has already posted a view on the match, with sentiments I pretty much agree with. We too had a good day (spent some time in the Museum of Science and Industry earlier in the day - great place, if any of you've not been there) despite the result (if only, that penalty... it could all have been so different).

Hope lots of you come down in March - it's a pretty easy trip by train and we got really cheap train tickets by booking advance fares.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Dave