FAO Sean Gregan

Scapegoat please tell me your jokin. A deserved red? Never. He took him down and yes it was cynical but it wasn't dangerous and certainly wasn't preventing a goal scoring opportunity as he was near the touchline five yards in our half. So what was the straight red for?

My comment was that I thought it was clearly a cynical decision by Gregan to take the player out who whilst a long way from goal was in a potentially dangerous position and take the inevitable yellow card. Danny Wilson seemed to indicate it was just mis-timed - a different perspective to me, but I conceded he was nearer the incident and perhaps it was not as cynical as I thought.

My other view was trying to understand the rules and the refs decision and not justify it in terms of what I thought (which for the record is - not a red). Is there a difference between a 'professional foul' and a foul that denies a goal scoring opportunity? I don't know.

If there is and you can be sent of for a foul that prevents a goal opportunity OR what is determined to be a profressional foul, then perhaps by the letter of the law Gregan did commit a 'professional foul' in the eye of the ref. However, I see many similar 'professional fouls' recieve just a yellow card, and therefore the ref was wrong.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like y'self i haven't been, but i can't understand how you can say 'needless dismissal' and 'these are becoming far too frequent! With Greegs, unfortunately, you are going to get these incidents as he is that type of player and that is why when on song he is one of the best centre halves at this level.
I've not questioned his ability - The fact is that these 'incidents' as you put it are indeed too frequent, and costly too.

As I said, Gordon reported it as on the halfway line near the touchline - we should never be losing players for fouls in that area.

The thread was started with JSS saying that Greegs needs to be more sensible, and I fully agree - his name would be first on my teamsheet every week, but you can't pick him when he's getting himself suspended.

Two penalties conceded, a red card, and flirting with another red last week, all in the space of around 100 minutes of football has got to be considered too frequent.

Like you, I want him on the park doing what he does best, but I'm not naive enough to believe that his ability and performances so far should mean we overlook his dangerous streak.

I've not questioned his ability - The fact is that these 'incidents' as you put it are indeed too frequent, and costly too.

As I said, Gordon reported it as on the halfway line near the touchline - we should never be losing players for fouls in that area.

The thread was started with JSS saying that Greegs needs to be more sensible, and I fully agree - his name would be first on my teamsheet every week, but you can't pick him when he's getting himself suspended.

Two penalties conceded, a red card, and flirting with another red last week, all in the space of around 100 minutes of football has got to be considered too frequent.

Like you, I want him on the park doing what he does best, but I'm not naive enough to believe that his ability and performances so far should mean we overlook his dangerous streak.

Fair do's! :wink:

Having been at the game and seen the TV replay to me Gregan's was the type of challenge that genereally gets a yellow and only very occasionally a red.

It was very cynical but can hardly have been considered a clear goalscoring opportunity.

However I think we have little or no chance off getting the red card rescinded.

One thing that did strike me was the linesman flagging after their second goal but being totally ignored/overuled by the referee without even a brief consultation, sounds about par for the course.