FAO Sean Gregan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MatchLive said foul & abusive language.

Still a needless dismissal even if it was for the foul (If Big Gordon was right in saying it was on the halfway line.

And the penalty (Again)? Anyone know whether he was unlucky or was it a rash challenge?

Come on Greegs, these are becoming far too frequent.

Like y'self i haven't been, but i can't understand how you can say 'needless dismissal' and 'these are becoming far too frequent! With Greegs, unfortunately, you are going to get these incidents as he is that type of player and that is why when on song he is one of the best centre halves at this level.

To me, he was up there for man of the match before the wrong sending off. It was a certain booking, but I feel he (the ref) followed the anti-Darlington Gregan stuff.

Needless is not the right phrase by any stretch of the imagiantion. The lad attacking was moving towards a very dangerous situatuion. I would say a very professional foul.

I can think of only one defender in our division that I would rather have than Gregan and I saw him today.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

To me, he was up there for man of the match before the wrong sending off. It was a certain booking, but I feel he (the ref) followed the anti-Darlington Gregan stuff.

Needless is not the right phrase by any stretch of the imagiantion. The lad attacking was moving towards a very dangerous situatuion. I would say a very professional foul.

I can think of only one defender in our division that I would rather have than Gregan and I saw him today.

bit harsh to call for a witch hunt after one red isnt it...and a very dodgy red at that...

if according to a mate of mine it was no more than a yellow then i reckon shez will appeal it.

grregan is always going to run this risk the older and slower he gets,everytime he comes up against a fast attacker he has to rely on his know how and positioning and muscle to get through the game and nullify the attack....

i certainly wouldnt want to swap him for anybody else in this division thats for sure.

According to the Hartlepool match report, it was a late challenge and they admit it was harsh.

Didn't look harsh from where I was . Bloody dreadful challenge. Lad running with the ball crossing the halfway line and Greeegs came sliding ing after the lad has knocked it further forward. 55/45 ball and he missed it and put their lad right up in the air. Thought he was going from the moment he made contact with him

Thought it was a penalty especially after they had a really strong shout at 1-0 when Eardley tangled with their winger in the box which the ref didn't give..

I thought it was a red however I also thought that John Terry's rugby tackle was also worthy of a red but he appealed and got away with it. The only thing stopping it being a red is where the incident took place and he wasnt going on to score.

Nope, I was there. Deserved red.

Interesting view.

I am not 100% clear on the rules for the straight red.

If you prevent a goa scoring opportunity, this equates a red card even if the foul is not intentional i.e. a genuine attempt to the get the ball. However there is no way that the referee could have interpreted the incident today as a goal scoring opportunity in my opinion - on half-way line and heading diagonally towards the toughline.

Then there is the professional foul. Is this different to the above if the referee indicates that the challenge was cynical with no attempt to play the ball even with no goal scoring opportunity? If so Gregan had to go. But I have seen lots of cynical blocks etc on halfway lines that result in yellow not red cards.

Therefore I think it was a booking and the referee has mis interpreted the rules.

Danny Wilson,interviewed on a local radiio station,said"Gregan had to make the challenge,but simply mistimed the tackle,no malice involved"

From our crap view,i would rather listen to Wilson's version of events,a couple of yards from the incident.

Fair point. I can only comment on my view of the incident, and concede DW had a better one.

If he is willing to put that on record it would significantly help with any appeal we might make.

Fair point. I can only comment on my view of the incident, and concede DW had a better one.

If he is willing to put that on record it would significantly help with any appeal we might make.

Listening to his interview,i can see no reason why he wouldn't!

Gave the impression that he had enjoyed the game tremendously :wink:

So what was the straight red for?

I'm assuming for serious foul play. Never a pro-foul, the lad had far too much to do before scoring. I think Gregan intended to go in and take both ball and man, the force he put into it. I'd be pretty surprised if we appeal and it gets overturned, anyway.

It was like John Terry's the other day, Gregan was never getting there and therefore was prepared to take a yellow as they were breaking at speed, noway was it a goal scoring opportunity therefore im guessing the referee will say it was wrecklace and dangerous which it wasnt really. Despite Danny Wilson saying it wasnt a red card i can guarantee it won't be rescinded.

Well it certainly weren't serious foul play. A yellow yes, but never a red

I'm inclined to agree with you but it all depends on what it says in the refs report. The FA usually stick by their men-in-black unless it's something glaringly obvious. Like giving a goal when it should have been a corner perhaps (As what apperently happened in the Reading-Watford game today).

Hardly needless, they were breaking and it wouldve been dangerous. I think Gregan made that tackle knowing it would be a yellow, but the ref made a shocking decision

They were breaking but it wasnt like they were at the edge of our box ... to be fair as soon as he set off it was clear he wasnt going to get anywhere near the ball. Why go and jump in, could have just gone across and stood up ...