FAO Sean Gregan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Towards the end of the first half, Gregan was in danger of losing it and risking a second yellow.

However, he didn't. He's an old pro, he knows exactly how far he can take it. But he is human and I'd rather he didn't tread the line quite that close.

As for the pen, not much he could have done about it really - the ball ricocheted up at him from close range and he instinctively put his hands in front of his face. That said, I'd have given it too.

That is one of the things that is frustrating about listening to the Latics World commentary. They are more one eyed than I am! It would be nice to get a balanced view of what happens before I start ranting about how the ref is crap and we never get any decisions going our way. Still, it is fantastic I get to listen to it at all.

From the reactions on here, it looks like it was a penalty....... or at the very least one that you aren't surprised when it is given. On LW, they were saying terrible decision, never a penalty.

I can't wait until I move back home and I can take my place in the rocky road again and make up my own mind about this sort of stuff.

That is one of the things that is frustrating about listening to the Latics World commentary. They are more one eyed than I am! It would be nice to get a balanced view of what happens before I start ranting about how the ref is crap and we never get any decisions going our way. Still, it is fantastic I get to listen to it at all.

From the reactions on here, it looks like it was a penalty....... or at the very least one that you aren't surprised when it is given. On LW, they were saying terrible decision, never a penalty.

I can't wait until I move back home and I can take my place in the rocky road again and make up my own mind about this sort of stuff.

As good as Greegs was last week he was as equally poor vs the Dongs, led a merry dance at times. But hey ho we got away with it and and we move on to Hartlepool, where close control and quick movement from the hosts will no doubt cause us more problems. Let's see how we cope, bring it on!

JSLATICS for gods sake give it a rest you are really becomming a tool

Knock it off. We don't remember having to speak to jsslatic for conduct - black- kettle - pot.

---------------------

I do think you are being a little harsh on the Kingpin of our side; I agree with you that Gregan has been colossal in the backs so far this season. He seems to be very passionate about his football, and Oldham Athletic so he's all right by me. But I'd have been angry with myself if I was in that position as well, it was a nailed on pen. I was more or less right in front of it and the supporters around me thought the same, no objections. I can understand his frustration with the fact that his team has nosed itself into an early 1-0 lead, just to see it being potentially cancelled out to a stonewall pen that he had a hand in. Pardon the pun.

I actually though MKD had another penalty later on - I wasn't the only one either! The ref gave a FK outside the box eventually, it was a close call though - I thought it was inside...

No intent, no foul, that's the rule. Personally I wasn't surprised to see it given. I really did have my heart in my mouth when he brought the bloke down a bit later, fortunately the ref gave it for the first nibble he had just outside the box rather than the larger bite he had inside. He didn't play badly in general but just had a few difficult moments.

Handball in the box Penalty! End of!

As for his remonstrating, yes he does dish plenty out, it's part of his game and contributes to making him the "colossus" he looks at times....arrogant ..yes....slow.....yes....a leader....yes......quality....Without doubt!! Keep it up Greags long may your presence be felt up every centre forward ass all season!!(not in that way!!!) :biker:

I'm sorry mate, it's good you're vocal and you've had a cracking start to the season, which probably makes this more frustrating. Sometimes, for instance when you've given away a penalty with a blatant handball, just shut it. Stop gobbing off...I was gobsmacked there wasn't a yellow for the protests and bearing in mind you picked up one soon after for the foul just outside the area, we could have been down to ten men for 45 mins and perhaps drawn/lost, and be missing our captain next Saturday.

It wasnt a blatent pen. And i would rather have a captain who is commited than one who just shrugs it off. But I suppose people have to moan anout something, rather than just enjoy it :D

It wasnt a blatent pen. And i would rather have a captain who is commited than one who just shrugs it off. But I suppose people have to moan anout something, rather than just enjoy it :D

I'm not moaning! All I said was to give it a rest sometimes...protest to the ref fine...but stop gobbing off at the lino, and then again at the ref. It doesn't help and he put himself in danger of getting himself booked. Wish I hadn't mentioned it...it seems that if anyone dares to raise a negative at the moment they're shot down for not 'enjoying the moment'.

Too many people (and I'm not necessarily referring to you EMG) on here are way too touchy...

At the time i thought the pen was nailed on, having seen the replay, it was a shocking decision, the guy was 3 millimetres away what else could he do? Having said that the one supposedly on the edge of the box was definitely inside and we only got away with it because the lino saw it as outside.

Edited by oafcprozac

Can understand where JSS is coming from - nailed on penalty or not, there is nothing worse than having our most influential players suspended for dissent (Chrissy Taylor picks up too many unnecessary cards also).

As captain, Gregan is allowed to represent his players, but as the guilty party the ref will only view it as opposing his professional decisions, and we all know that no referee is going to admit he is wrong.

I suppose in the heat of the moment it is difficult to say to the referee "Sir, can you just explain where in the rules it states that a penalty should be awarded when the ball deflects unintentionally against my hand?"

99% of players would probably say something along the lines of "Ah! Feck off you ballsack! open your eyes!"

As I say, they don't change their mind, so we concede the penalty AND risk picking suspensions up as well. It's tough being a player when you aren't allowed to give your side of the story.

Can understand where JSS is coming from - nailed on penalty or not, there is nothing worse than having our most influential players suspended for dissent (Chrissy Taylor picks up too many unnecessary cards also).

As captain, Gregan is allowed to represent his players, but as the guilty party the ref will only view it as opposing his professional decisions, and we all know that no referee is going to admit he is wrong.

I suppose in the heat of the moment it is difficult to say to the referee "Sir, can you just explain where in the rules it states that a penalty should be awarded when the ball deflects unintentionally against my hand?"

99% of players would probably say something along the lines of "Ah! Feck off you ballsack! open your eyes!"

As I say, they don't change their mind, so we concede the penalty AND risk picking suspensions up as well. It's tough being a player when you aren't allowed to give your side of the story.

Thats the game, everyone gets carried away in the heat of the moment.

MatchLive said foul & abusive language.

Still a needless dismissal even if it was for the foul (If Big Gordon was right in saying it was on the halfway line.

And the penalty (Again)? Anyone know whether he was unlucky or was it a rash challenge?

Come on Greegs, these are becoming far too frequent.