Oh how I laugh

Stam is useless?!

He was our best in defence today IMO, but Greegs was badly missed.

I'm definitely not one of the moaners or doom-sayers, but to sat that Stam was our best in defence today, in my opinion, can only mean that you yhink that the other three had truly awful games! True enough, I think Hazell didn't come out covered in glory, but I thought Stam did little to encourage Shez to extend his stay in the first team.

I thought today, Stam's positioning and distribution lacked, worryingly since it's one of his bigger attributes, any sort of composure. In fact I'd summarize his performance as being akin to the proverbial rabbit in the headlights!

However, I would heartily agree, Greegs was sorely missed; being the bully he is (a compliment BTW) he wouldn't have stood for the treatment Stam and Rubed were dished out today.

Semi disappointing draw at home and all of a sudden

'Drop Lomax, Stam is useless.............................'

Typical Oldham fans, never happy unless they are moaning.

To be fair though today (and maybe its because we have been spoiled with excellent football recently) we were disappointing If we had lost today would you have said we wouldn't have deserved it?

It was a well earned point today, our passing was off and we missed our captain but we worked to earn a point against a side that will cause a few problems in the league.

They came to BP today up for facing the side at the top of the table played their "A game" and only went away with a point. We carved a few chances out and perhaps on another day we could have won it but alas it wasn't to be.

Hopefully everything will pop into place on Friday and we will come back with the 3 points.

It was a well earned point today, our passing was off and we missed our captain but we worked to earn a point against a side that will cause a few problems in the league.

They came to BP today up for facing the side at the top of the table played their "A game" and only went away with a point. We carved a few chances out and perhaps on another day we could have won it but alas it wasn't to be.

Hopefully everything will pop into place on Friday and we will come back with the 3 points.

I have mentioned this before on here so sorry to bore people but at the start of the season I reckoned 85 points would see us promoted and worked out that it meant 25 wins 10 draws and 11 defeats. I then picked which games would fit into tht formula.

After these 8 games I reckoned we needed 16 points, 12 at home and 4 away. We have 10 at home and 8 away so we are 2 points ahead of where we need to be We are benefitting from the good results at Leeds and tranmere (5 points gained) but have been let down by the last 2 results (4 points dropped.) However we are still 2 points inf ront so keep smiling folks!!

Well who was better than him?!

Lomax? Nope.

Eards? Unusually rubbish match.

Hazell? Too many bloopers for me.

Can't argue with that, I thought the whole back five looked less than awe inspiring!! As for replacing Stam, and i'm not saying we should, from the last two reserve games, I was a little surprised (before the game started) that Byrne hadn't got the nod in front of Stam.

Well said, plus any points we gain during Gregan's ban have to be seen as a bonus as he has been immense this season, well, all the time he has been here. As Roy said on Laticsworld a few weeks ago "he is massive".

People say we are a one man team meaning Hughes but for me we are a one man time with Gregan, if the oppos don't score you don't lose.

While the back line looked a little rattled at times today (I'd single out Eardley for a slating personally, but not my style) the problem wasn't defending.

Our distribution was shocking.

Why did we just hoof it up to Hughes all game when he was never going to win headers against their defenders?

The guy makes some superb runs that diagonal ball in to feet would mean creativity and goals. No sign of that key passing on the ground today though.

Taylor was on fire when he got the ball but we didn't use him enough.

Lidds seemed to be pushed back at times and he should have been replaced sooner. Smalley looked good, but again seemed to be playing very deeply. Maybe credit to our opponents for this.

While the back line looked a little rattled at times today (I'd single out Eardley for a slating personally, but not my style) the problem wasn't defending.

Our distribution was shocking.

Why did we just hoof it up to Hughes all game when he was never going to win headers against their defenders?

The guy makes some superb runs that diagonal ball in to feet would mean creativity and goals. No sign of that key passing on the ground today though.

Taylor was on fire when he got the ball but we didn't use him enough.

Lidds seemed to be pushed back at times and he should have been replaced sooner. Smalley looked good, but again seemed to be playing very deeply. Maybe credit to our opponents for this.

Its a game of opinions - I actually thought Stam was awful(too many missed opportunities to clear the ball, too many times he allowed it to bounce or wanted too muach time), however he hasn't played too often in the last 18 months at first tem level so maybe he was just off the pace,

I thought Lomax had his worst game of a good season so far for him, however thought Hazell played ok though he was giving away the physical advantage to Dickinson. I didn't think that Eardley played badly at all.

The midfield was by-passed by Huddersfield long ball and then Allott dropping deep to support the defence which mean't that the option for the centrebacks was to play hoofball which rendered Whittaker a by-stander for large parts of the game.

We missed Greegan and his presence massively, its not just the tackles and his aerial dominance but his organisational skills and general leadership.

I would have given Davies 20 mins but am sure Shez has his reasons for not doing that, the positive is that I think that type of game is one that we would have lost in the last couple of seasons especially once we were one-nil down

we never looked like scoring today we were very poor we would have been beaten by a half decent side.

shez has admitted it wasnt a classic performance today,but is pleased with the way we stuck at it and got at them after half time

were still top of the league and undefeated,but still people whining......great innit.

Huddersfield didn't trouble that much at the back, Dickinson made life tricky and despite the odd mistake the defence did it's job, distribution was shocking today, lots of panic hopeful balls out of defence, plenty of long balls to Hughes which was just what the Huddersfield defence wanted.

The defence wasn't bad really, Lomax got turned for their goal but apart from that did they really do owt wrong? Melia was on about central midfield not being in the game today and I agree with him, Allott and Whittaker were a poor second today, outfought by Huddersfield's pair.

Overall don't think there's too much to worry about, Huddersfield made the game tough and fully deserved their point. It happens, we'll beat Stockport on friday.

in opinion, our 2 worst players today where stam and hazell, shocking from star to finish, when they had time they just hoofed it up front to no one, when they didnt they wanted time to find someone and conceded free kicks once they got caught out ,we got got bullied all day long and showed how much we miss gregan

point earned rather than 3 points lost coz i dont think we deserved anything today, the tempo and passing was all wrong today.

good teams play badley and pick up points, still top , but please shez drop stam before friday

3 bad games burnley, morcambe and today

BUT still top (although i need to check) :D

i though lomax has been :censored: last two games, but good prior to that. stam was crap yesterday and dragged ruuuuubes down, but thats lack of match practice. dont forget these two have played together before, and theyre not the worst pairing in this league. dont go overboard with the greegs worship, he should have given away five pens this season and been sent off twice, lucky its one and one. he also must retire soon, however painfull that may be, even at this level nevermind division two

Guest oa_exile
i though lomax has been :censored: last two games, but good prior to that. stam was crap yesterday and dragged ruuuuubes down, but thats lack of match practice. dont forget these two have played together before, and theyre not the worst pairing in this league. dont go overboard with the greegs worship, he should have given away five pens this season and been sent off twice, lucky its one and one. he also must retire soon, however painfull that may be, even at this level nevermind division two

Gregan's contract is up at the end of the season , he will then be 35 (Birthday is in March)

Gregan's contract is up at the end of the season , he will then be 35 (Birthday is in March)

And he will be given another contract - its shez's way, and he fully deserves it. Whatever level we are playing at Gregan will offer leadership to this team, as a starter in this division, or as some one 'who has seen it and done it' in the Championship.

Gregan contributes far more than Liddell, who is contributing more than I expected - but to not offer Greegs another year at least will be lunacy.

... as for stam, he has been terrible for over a year now, and that is when he hasnt been injured. This is not something that hasjust occured overnight. I honestly havent seen anything from him that differentiates him from John Thompson over the last year... Hazell (or whomever plays with him) is constantly covering for him. Not a bad player at this level, but not goot enough for a team chasing promotion. The difference is gregan dominates the 'big' games... Stam looks like a rabbit in the headlights....

Guest oa_exile
And he will be given another contract - its shez's way, and he fully deserves it. Whatever level we are playing at Gregan will offer leadership to this team, as a starter in this division, or as some one 'who has seen it and done it' in the Championship.

Gregan contributes far more than Liddell, who is contributing more than I expected - but to not offer Greegs another year at least will be lunacy.

... as for stam, he has been terrible for over a year now, and that is when he hasnt been injured. This is not something that hasjust occured overnight. I honestly havent seen anything from him that differentiates him from John Thompson over the last year... Hazell (or whomever plays with him) is constantly covering for him. Not a bad player at this level, but not goot enough for a team chasing promotion. The difference is gregan dominates the 'big' games... Stam looks like a rabbit in the headlights....

Who mentioned Liddell ? :blink: Oh you did...........again :unsure:

Why dont you buy yourself one of those Liddell Voodoo dolls from the club shop and stick some pins in it (Pins not supplied)

Your obsessed Man !

Who mentioned Liddell ? :blink: Oh you did...........again :unsure:

Why dont you buy yourself one of those Liddell Voodoo dolls from the club shop and stick some pins in it (Pins not supplied)

Your obsessed Man !

They have them in stock again! Fantastic! Been waiting for the new shipment after I chopped the legs off a good couple hundred of them for the last 6 months of last season! :wink:

I was only putting it in the context of contributions by players of that age... if Lids gets a new contract, greagan definitely will....

Also - if you noticed, i was mildly complimentary, in a slightly backhanded way, about Captain fast in that last post...

However, still think he is one of the players whose contribution is tailing off, its not about criticising players, but giving them a rest, and using our squad when we have other players banging on the door of the first team.... Smalley, Byrne and O'Grady would all be in my starting line up on friday... but hey I aint shez.. and I wouldnt be at all surprised to see the same 11 starting at Edgeley..

terrible for over a year can not apply if you do not play regulalrly in the said time frame, surely? if so then hes been playing bobbins for four months or more based on one game. that said, hes massively under the scope at the mo, if hes crap in his fill in role, then byrne gets a longer deal and stams chance of a new one diminishes. byrne may get an extension anyways, and ive not seen anything to suggest he shouldnt. giving greegs a new deal on one months evidence is lunacy

do do de do

OOH

you know what goes here

Guest oa_exile
They have them in stock again! Fantastic! Been waiting for the new shipment after I chopped the legs off a good couple hundred of them for the last 6 months of last season! :wink:

I was only putting it in the context of contributions by players of that age... if Lids gets a new contract, greagan definitely will....

Also - if you noticed, i was mildly complimentary, in a slightly backhanded way, about Captain fast in that last post...

However, still think he is one of the players whose contribution is tailing off, its not about criticising players, but giving them a rest, and using our squad when we have other players banging on the door of the first team.... Smalley, Byrne and O'Grady would all be in my starting line up on friday... but hey I aint shez.. and I wouldnt be at all surprised to see the same 11 starting at Edgeley..

I know you were mate , just prompting you :grin:

IF we get promoted then I dont think that Gregan will get another contact , Lidds will though :grin:

Anyway IMO promotion or not I think there will be some comings and goings again next season (again).

Kalala,Thompson,Wolfy,Stam,Lidds to name but a few.

First opportunity to comment on Saturday's game, so apologies if my points have already been covered.

Generally, a poor performance all round apart from Taylor.

A lot of people have singled Stam out as the scapegoat in defence when, I think, they were all equally culpable. We didn't pass the ball well enough from defence and in a lot of instances by-passed the midfield because they were being closed down too quickly. Someone said earlier that Stam hasn't played much in the last 18 months but wasn't he near the top in terms of appearances last season? Also, I think Dickenson deserves some credit for making all of our defence look uncomfortable, irrespective of whether we thought of him as a "cheat"

I thought Smalley gave us a glimmer of hope with his runs but to no avail.

And just to give a smile to the Liddell supporters, I said to my daughter that he should have been substituted about a minute before he scored that excellent goal. However, apart from that he did have a poor game which is not surprising when you consider he never really had any time and space all game because Huddersfield did a good marking job on him.

Question time - did Ternent win the tactical battle over Sheriden?

Well and truly. They set their stall out to spoil with ugly Wimbledon-esque tactics and they certainly did that.

A few clubs will try that this season but I don't think that'll be happening on a regular basis.

i would have to on this one occassion blame sheridan and he should of come out and held his hands up to apologise to the players fans etc that he dropped a big balls by playing right into udders hands, i feel if had tried to play football like we have been doing it could have been oh so different.