Couple of Questions!

Unable to make Stockport on Friday.

Having not seen Byrne play yet, what is the considered opinion of those who have watched both Byrne against Stockport and Stam against Huddersfield as to who should have the starting spot against Hereford (assuming Stam is fit)?

Seeing as both Huddersfield and Stockport (from what I've read and heard) packed their midfield and Sheriden appearing to be unable/incapable/unwilling to make changes. What would you do during the game? Because the status quo left us outnumbered and overrun and is something we will see more of as the season develops.

Unable to make Stockport on Friday.

Having not seen Byrne play yet, what is the considered opinion of those who have watched both Byrne against Stockport and Stam against Huddersfield as to who should have the starting spot against Hereford (assuming Stam is fit)?

Seeing as both Huddersfield and Stockport (from what I've read and heard) packed their midfield and Sheriden appearing to be unable/incapable/unwilling to make changes. What would you do during the game? Because the status quo left us outnumbered and overrun and is something we will see more of as the season develops.

Byrne is steady and not as panicky as Stam, however him and Rubes were too close together culminating in their being acres of space for the first two goals. I'd be more than willing to give him another 90 mins vs Hereford.

As for the midfield, Allott is out of form and Whitaker's game is suffering due to him having to drop deeper and deeper as the forwards aren't defending from the front, Allott invariably gives it away so we have no real threat from midfield. If danny whit can play on the right I'd put him there to allow Maher to come in, he's got the experience, puts his foot in, can find the same coloured shirt and can take a mean set-piece. Harsh on Lidds and may unbalance us a tad but we need to toughen up through the middle. As for Allott, he keeps his place for now but needs to up the ante as I think young Dale may get his chance sooner rather than later.

Byrne is steady and not as panicky as Stam, however him and Rubes were too close together culminating in their being acres of space for the first two goals. I'd be more than willing to give him another 90 mins vs Hereford.

As for the midfield, Allott is out of form and Whitaker's game is suffering due to him having to drop deeper and deeper as the forwards aren't defending from the front, Allott invariably gives it away so we have no real threat from midfield. If danny whit can play on the right I'd put him there to allow Maher to come in, he's got the experience, puts his foot in, can find the same coloured shirt and can take a mean set-piece. Harsh on Lidds and may unbalance us a tad but we need to toughen up through the middle. As for Allott, he keeps his place for now but needs to up the ante as I think young Dale may get his chance sooner rather than later.

Stam and Hazell for me - I wonder if Byrne can play right back...?

I've been a little surprised that during the last 2 matches, we have not changed tactics when what we have had on the pitch hasn't been working, especially after the Millwall game where Shez's changes turned the game. Sure personel has been changed but not the tactics, although to fair when you are unbeaten and top of the league there is a damn good argument for not changing.

However, both Huddersfield and Stockport packed their midfield to negate Allot & Whitaker. Not having Maher on the bench restricted the option to change the midfield against Huddersfield in what was the first sign that opposition teams had sussed us out.

Last season when JJ was on Loan, Shez had a stage where he played him just behind the front man basically giving us a central midfield of 3 men in a little triangle with the front one (JJ) supporting the striker. When Stockport made their change at half time and their tactics were closing our midfield down, basically forcing us to go long, I would have liked to see Maher come on for O'Grady and play Whittaker more forward of Allot and Maher. Some may see that as a defensive move, but it really isn't. It makes it harder for the opposition midfield and their defence have to try and pick up the "2nd striker" breaking into spaces from midfield and, being kind, defenders in the third division are not that clever. Whittaker has shown that he has an eye for goal and with Lids/Smalley on 1 wing and Taylor on the other it gives you good options going forward especially when you have young pacy overlapping full backs such as Eardly & Jones.

In terms of the defence, I said after the Burnley game that anyone who thinks that Stam is better than Gregan basically needed their head looking at and was slaughtered in some quarters for that observation/opinion. The fact remains that Gregan is imense for us both as a commanding centre half and Captain, whilst Stam is more than good enough to be a useful squad player at this level in a promotion chasing team. His mistakes costs more goals than Gregans or Hazells mistakes, but nevertheless he is a decent player and in Gregans absence we nissed him on Friday night. For County's second goal Byrne was out jumped and out muscled and for both the 1st and 2nd goals we didn't defend the second ball from the flick on and paid the price. I dont think that with either Gregan or Stam on the park we would have conceeded the second goal in particular. Byrne for me looked comfortable on the ball at Hartlepool, but looked uneasy with the ball in the air on Friday. However, that was effectively his first full match of the season so I don't think you can really judge off that 1 game. Having said that I get the impression from what I have seen that Byrne will be used more as a full back and as an emergency centre half rather than a 1st choice centre half. So to answer your question. If Stam is fit then he should play against Hereford particularly as they are likely to be more direct.

Cheers,

Harry

I've been a little surprised that during the last 2 matches, we have not changed tactics when what we have had on the pitch hasn't been working, especially after the Millwall game where Shez's changes turned the game. Sure personel has been changed but not the tactics, although to fair when you are unbeaten and top of the league there is a damn good argument for not changing.

However, both Huddersfield and Stockport packed their midfield to negate Allot & Whitaker. Not having Maher on the bench restricted the option to change the midfield against Huddersfield in what was the first sign that opposition teams had sussed us out.

Last season when JJ was on Loan, Shez had a stage where he played him just behind the front man basically giving us a central midfield of 3 men in a little triangle with the front one (JJ) supporting the striker. When Stockport made their change at half time and their tactics were closing our midfield down, basically forcing us to go long, I would have liked to see Maher come on for O'Grady and play Whittaker more forward of Allot and Maher. Some may see that as a defensive move, but it really isn't. It makes it harder for the opposition midfield and their defence have to try and pick up the "2nd striker" breaking into spaces from midfield and, being kind, defenders in the third division are not that clever. Whittaker has shown that he has an eye for goal and with Lids/Smalley on 1 wing and Taylor on the other it gives you good options going forward especially when you have young pacy overlapping full backs such as Eardly & Jones.

In terms of the defence, I said after the Burnley game that anyone who thinks that Stam is better than Gregan basically needed their head looking at and was slaughtered in some quarters for that observation/opinion. The fact remains that Gregan is imense for us both as a commanding centre half and Captain, whilst Stam is more than good enough to be a useful squad player at this level in a promotion chasing team. His mistakes costs more goals than Gregans or Hazells mistakes, but nevertheless he is a decent player and in Gregans absence we nissed him on Friday night. For County's second goal Byrne was out jumped and out muscled and for both the 1st and 2nd goals we didn't defend the second ball from the flick on and paid the price. I dont think that with either Gregan or Stam on the park we would have conceeded the second goal in particular. Byrne for me looked comfortable on the ball at Hartlepool, but looked uneasy with the ball in the air on Friday. However, that was effectively his first full match of the season so I don't think you can really judge off that 1 game. Having said that I get the impression from what I have seen that Byrne will be used more as a full back and as an emergency centre half rather than a 1st choice centre half. So to answer your question. If Stam is fit then he should play against Hereford particularly as they are likely to be more direct.

Cheers,

Harry

who is this guy i like reading his posts haha :lol:

You're absolutely bob on with this observation Harry. On Friday, and to some extent against Huddersfield we desperately needed to have more men in the middle to stop their midfields dominating. Like a chess match, the middle of the park is crucial so as a result our wingers were starved of play because we weren't allowed to get down and play. We persisted with 4-4-2, but we really should have gone 3-5-2 in both games to congest the middle more. Sure, the game wouldn't have been any prettier, but I certainly think we wouldn't have lost at County had we employed this.

With Hereford watching on, I'm pretty sure they'll try and use similar tactics against us as the previous two opponents. They might not have the quality and resolve for a battle like that but it could make for a frustrating game for us again.

You're absolutely bob on with this observation Harry. On Friday, and to some extent against Huddersfield we desperately needed to have more men in the middle to stop their midfields dominating. Like a chess match, the middle of the park is crucial so as a result our wingers were starved of play because we weren't allowed to get down and play. We persisted with 4-4-2, but we really should have gone 3-5-2 in both games to congest the middle more. Sure, the game wouldn't have been any prettier, but I certainly think we wouldn't have lost at County had we employed this.

With Hereford watching on, I'm pretty sure they'll try and use similar tactics against us as the previous two opponents. They might not have the quality and resolve for a battle like that but it could make for a frustrating game for us again.

Think 3-5-2 would complicate it a little as you are disrupting the defense I think we would be better going man for man with them and going 4-5-1 which basically just requires a striker to just drop back into Midfield and go up against the deepest lieing midfielder when we haven't got the ball. So lets continue with 4-4-2 and when necessary if we can revert yo 4-5-1 when the game requires it we will be in a better position to deal with anything that anyone in this division throws at us.

Think 3-5-2 would complicate it a little as you are disrupting the defense

Let's be honest, the defence wasn't exactly manning The Alamo. In fact, other than the goals scored, I really can't think of too many clear-cut chances County had. We could have afforded to play Eardley in midfield, put Dean Smalley on for Lids and play 3 at the back with Deano and Taylor as wing backs.

Is it just me that seems to have spotted we've been bossed about and intimidated in midfield for the last two games (bar the first half at County)?

Let's be honest, the defence wasn't exactly manning The Alamo. In fact, other than the goals scored, I really can't think of too many clear-cut chances County had. We could have afforded to play Eardley in midfield, put Dean Smalley on for Lids and play 3 at the back with Deano and Taylor as wing backs.

Is it just me that seems to have spotted we've been bossed about and intimidated in midfield for the last two games (bar the first half at County)?

No not just you and I think after reading alot of the posts of here post Stockport most agree with you that we have been got on top of in midfield me included. I just think that it would be simpler to have gone to 4-5-1 as you are only making 1 change where 3-5-2 you are making several. I think its best not to confuse footballers at this level with too much tactics and formation changes and just keep it relatively simple certainly this would work away from home when you are one up.

Anyway its wonderful me saying all this with hindsight :wink: