Crossbar challenge

Why do people bother to do it when they cant even kick the ball anywhere near the net? Surely would be better giving the opportunity to someone who would actually have a chance. Also it would make it a better spectacle as im getting abit bored of people kicking the ball along the ground towards the corner flag. Are the picking people who cant kick a ball deliberately ? i.e the ones they get from the crowd.

Why do people bother to do it when they cant even kick the ball anywhere near the net? Surely would be better giving the opportunity to someone who would actually have a chance. Also it would make it a better spectacle as im getting abit bored of people kicking the ball along the ground towards the corner flag. Are the picking people who cant kick a ball deliberately ? i.e the ones they get from the crowd.

I wouldn't stand a chance of getting it, but if the opportunity came about for me to go onto the BP pitch and take a punt at a 10 year season ticket, then of course I'm going to bother to do it. How ridiculous to suggest otherwise...

Whilst it's on then, if it's getting on your nerves so much, go and take your boat race for a dump and spend half time in the bogs??

Apart from the fact that footwear is always going to be a problem - these people don't claim to be brilliant footballers, they enter for the fun and an opportunity to do something that many latics fans have dreamt of and that's kick a ball towards the net on bp - oh and a small gesture of a 10 year season ticket.

Cheers for the fishing rod anyway Maradonna, i'm happy to be caught!! :wink:

Its embarrasing though, and they actually have no chance of hitting it, its not really something where luck comes in to play you either have the ability to kick the ball that far or you dont. Surely you would let somebody decent take it for you and split the season ticket if they hit ? much better idea. As for me hitting the bar myself i would probably struggle due to habit of putting the ball in to the net rather than against the frame.

the fun of taking part !!!!! oh and the small matter of a free replica shirt for trying!!!!!!!!!!!!! doh

Its embarrasing though, and they actually have no chance of hitting it, its not really something where luck comes in to play you either have the ability to kick the ball that far or you dont. Surely you would let somebody decent take it for you and split the season ticket if they hit ? much better idea. As for me hitting the bar myself i would probably struggle due to habit of putting the ball in to the net rather than against the frame.

Be careful though as ISZ is well known for it's height above sea level, there would be a very good chance that yours would be extremely 'wind assisted' - proof is in the pudding though -good luck :wink:

Be careful though as ISZ is well known for it's height above sea level, there would be a very good chance that yours would be extremely 'wind assisted' - proof is in the pudding though -good luck :wink:

I would obviously take the wind in to consideration before calculating my strike.

My husband attempted the crossbar challenge at half time during the Leicester match. He was pretty confident but was one of the ones who ended up on his bum!

He had filled in the coupon in the Chron and found out he had been drawn out of the hat just before the match began. Consequently, he was wearing jeans and unsuitable footwear. If you remember it was raining and the pitch was very slippy - hence he ended up on his bum (but still got the ball further than most). Still, he enjoyed the experience of going on the pitch and having a go and of course, won a free Latics shirt for his trouble. He would love to have another go but ideally would be wearing shorts and football boots for a serious attempt. He did also say that the ball seemed heavier than a regular football. Excuses, excuses!

My husband attempted the crossbar challenge at half time during the Leicester match. He was pretty confident but was one of the ones who ended up on his bum!

He had filled in the coupon in the Chron and found out he had been drawn out of the hat just before the match began. Consequently, he was wearing jeans and unsuitable footwear. If you remember it was raining and the pitch was very slippy - hence he ended up on his bum (but still got the ball further than most). Still, he enjoyed the experience of going on the pitch and having a go and of course, won a free Latics shirt for his trouble. He would love to have another go but ideally would be wearing shorts and football boots for a serious attempt. He did also say that the ball seemed heavier than a regular football. Excuses, excuses!

Excuses not needed, you have pointed out all the pitfalls and all of the positive reasons of having a go, unfortunately for some, whether it be Crossley, Eardley or your every day Latics fan, they will have a negative pop and an opinion to try and get the sort of reaction that I am now giving them.

Fair play your hubby - are his jeans washed yet :grin:

No problem with people falling on their arses as anyone trying to reach the bar from their in trainers probably should end up on their arse the ones who just tap it to avoid falling over annoy me atleast the ones who end up on their arse are trying to hit the bar, even if they have no chance.

Try getting out of bed on the other side in the morning Lordy.

You never know, you might even come on here and say something positive. :tongue:

Cheers,

Harry

Yeah,Yeah, thats all very good Jenny,but the fact remains that he was rubbish :grin:

I would be more than willing to lend someone my boots but the lad who asked me was a cocky terwat in the way he asked me so i wasnt going to help him.

Beleive me Lordy, you would struggle, i consider myself pretty good at the long ball passes and basically putting it anywhere within 40 yards, but this is well over 40 yards and 8 foot hight so its basically 60 yards away. It is a LOT harder than it looks, although im sure you would get "pretty close".

Opinions are like arseholes.......everyone has one. But mine is that the crossbar challenge is very amusing.

I would be more than willing to lend someone my boots but the lad who asked me was a cocky terwat in the way he asked me so i wasnt going to help him.

Beleive me Lordy, you would struggle, i consider myself pretty good at the long ball passes and basically putting it anywhere within 40 yards, but this is well over 40 yards and 8 foot hight so its basically 60 yards away. It is a LOT harder than it looks, although im sure you would get "pretty close".

Opinions are like arseholes.......everyone has one. But mine is that the crossbar challenge is very amusing.

I saw you havin a few pot shots after the comp and you seemed to be getting it fairly close that in a massive owl costume aswell.