Andy Cole or Darren Byfield to sign by the end of the week

Found a problem with this.

Cole can't sign for a new club until january, as his last contract was cancelled outside a transfer window!

If he's had his contract cancelled he can sign on non-contract terms until January at which point, the 10-goal revelation will have us over a barrel.

If he's had his contract cancelled he can sign on non-contract terms until January at which point, the 10-goal revelation will have us over a barrel.

That then would average about one goal per game more than Craig looks like scoring at the moment, which I would guess would be worth a nice 5-9 points. Pass me the barrel...

I really don't want us to sign Andy Cole, at 37 he is way past his best and the fact Forest have just dropped him speaks volumes.

For the wages he will want we can do much better and I dont mean Windass either he's even older than Cole.

I would much rather see us bring Byfield in, proven goalscorer at this level and above and not nearly 40 either.

On one of the early Championship Managers I had the chance to sign Andy Cole for Latics for free but he wanted massive wages which I couldn't afford. I offered him the top whack that I could with clauses, bonuses..etc.. eventually he agreed to sign and I really had to think about it for at least half an hour or so. Eventually I signed him, he broke his leg in his second game and was out for the best part of a year. The board wouldn't let me release him as it would have cost too much.

On top of that, I don't want to see Cole in a Latics shirt, 5 chances per goal at the top level, we created about that many on Saturday and weren't able to put it in, not sure Cole would have added the finishing touch to any of those chances.

My conclusion is this... if the deal is right for us - i.e, reasonable (but still probably extortionate for us) wages, possible pay as you play deal, possible quick release clause - or at least a month by month contract... then I would welcome both Andy Cole, and especially Dean Windass with proverbial open arms.... I think it a punt worth taking, and they could both offer experience and a proven goalscoring record to the side. I dont think we lack ability in our strikers, and potentially there is 40/50+ goal a season in them already... however we just need something different for the short term... Windass especially would be the battering ram needed to destroy a yeovil or a brizzle rovers...

However... If i could choose, I would choose Byfield in a flash... always impressed me, natural finisher, quick - and bangs goals in at this level... ironically along with kevin Maher (!!??), he has been a player I have been wanting us to sign for a long time... This guy could seriously do a job for us... and is the off the shoulder player who could link well with Hughesy...

However - Cole and Windass coauld both be a target man, as their hold up play is excellent - if we sign Byfield we have to play some football... otherwise it is yet another pointless signing...