Jeremy Clarkson upsets 188 people

BlueJazzer

Hmmm. I want to know what they get out of it, and why there is a waiting list. This is a very interesting mystery.

I can't stand fishing. You sit there, for 2 days, and oooh, you catch something. And then once you've caught it, you take a snap of it for a fishing vvanking website and then put it back!! Eh??? What on earth do people see in that?

WHY!!???!!

But it is popular.

Hmmm. I want to know what they get out of it, and why there is a waiting list. This is a very interesting mystery.

Do people just want to be close to Richard Hammond because his brain may have been damaged in that high-speed, near-death accident experience a while back? Is the thrill derived from that proximity sexual and/or violent?

Is James May's "Christian Driving" reputation a kind of motor vehicular emasculation? Is he the eunech of the show, or its monk, because he does not use motor vehicles for sexual pleasure? The reputations of the other two are clearly enhanced by his presence.

Is Jeremy Clarkson the leader of the motoring nation? Do we look to him to form our attitudes to driving? Do we subconsciously seek the approval of the great leader? Do people who get close to him better know his mind?

I might have answered my own question.

Maybe some people think it's funny and entertaining, and enjoy the out-takes/banter whatever?

"The Office" was a massive success. People raved about it for months, even re-enacting some of the scenes in work the day after it was screen (Keeerrrraaaaazzzeeeee or what) . I personally thought it was abso:censored:inglutely piss-awful, but it takes all sorts I suppose.

Maybe some people think it's funny and entertaining, and enjoy the out-takes/banter whatever?

No. Why do they enjoy the banter?

"The Office" was a massive success. People raved about it for months, even re-enacting some of the scenes in work the day after it was screen (Keeerrrraaaaazzzeeeee or what) . I personally thought it was abso:censored:inglutely piss-awful, but it takes all sorts I suppose.

Love it or hate it, "The Office" has some sort of historical form; namely, broadly, fiction. Where does Top Gear fit in?

No. Why do they enjoy the banter?

What sort of a ridiculous question is that? Why do they enjoy the banter?

Why do people listen to Chris Moyles in a morning?

Why do people watch non league/premiership?

Why do people trainspot?

Why do some people enjoy S&M?

Cos they do. It takes allsorts.

What is it that you don't get about that?

Why do people trainspot?

I must say, this is the most bizarre topic I have ever known on this board.

Why do people trainspot?

Blimey. I was only asking.

I just think its new and interesting is all. When I have watched the show with Mrs. Tulse Hill, who enjoys it, I can't take my eyes off the audience. I have never known anything like it in all my life. You could easily imagine that programme without the audience - and I don't think there'd be much loss or gain from a production point of view. It might even be a bit funnier.

What do I see when I look at the audience? I see people at the end of a pilgrimage, undergoing a barely concealable transition to motoring holiness, in the presence--no less--of the high priests and the eunuch. Does the Mazda go faster than the Merc? Who cares when you can marvel at people transforming spiritually before your eyes, on TV? I see people who crave motoring holiness achieving their life's desire. They receive the blessing of the great man, and go out in the world with an air of invincibility, as if no amount of sex or violence can be enough for them any more.

I also do not watch the person reading the news, but the one doing the facial expressions next to him or her. Can't we sometimes look at things and ask out loud, "Why?"?

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

The basics of the Clarkson thing are:

He shouldn't have repeated it. A one off comment was fine annd funny but it's when you re-enforce it people will remember it and be annoyed about it.

In the current bbc climate you have to question wether or not it would have been smarter to edit it out of the programme. Saying that i don't know how they'd do that because he made the comments in long dialogue pieces.

If the BBC are worried about the complaints they are recieving, wouldn't it be best if they withdrew the programme from the public domain. i.e. BBCi player.

They didn't do that. In fact when i was reading about the story on the bbc news website, soon after it broke they actually had a link to the incident so you could watch just the offensive bit. Abit brainless as far as i'm concerned.

The BBC must be going abit off the rails at the moment because there have been two of these incidents over the last couple of weeks (admittadley Brand/Russel was alot worse) and in a time of economic and social insecurity the beeb don't need us to be questioning why we pay the £135 license fee year in year out, yet they continue to make mistakes like this. More heads will roll in the coming months you can be sure of that.

Edited by BJBlue

Last night's 'Apology' was a typically disgraceful slap in the face for those who were upset by the previous week's comments.

Which is one of the reasons I love the show, and piss myself laughing between 8pm and 9pm every sunday.

Keep it going Jeremy - fabulously un-pc!!

My problem with the Clarkson joke was that it was funny the first time, but not the fifteenth. If you're generally not funny and tell a funny joke by accident, the temptation, I suppose, is to keep on telling the same joke again and again. My complaint to the BBC over Clarkson will centre on unnecessary repetition.

Also, can anyone really say what the audience get out of the filming of an edition of Top Gear?

Are you serious? Top Gear is one of the few programmes worth paying the license fee for. If you don't think its entertaining then why the hell are you watching it?

Do muslims watch songs of praise every week and complain? If you don't like it or his sense of humour then simply don't watch it.

Truck drivers murdering prostitutes actually has more truth in it than any religion. It would be more worthwhile to complain about the brainwashing of kids by showing things on tv like santa, the easter bunny and the terminator.

Are you serious? Top Gear is one of the few programmes worth paying the license fee for. If you don't think its entertaining then why the hell are you watching it?

Do muslims watch songs of praise every week and complain? If you don't like it or his sense of humour then simply don't watch it.

Truck drivers murdering prostitutes actually has more truth in it than any religion. It would be more worthwhile to complain about the brainwashing of kids by showing things on tv like santa, the easter bunny and the terminator.

It's true I don't find it entertaining, but that's no reason not to watch. I watch it for the studio audience. Can't take my eyes off them. Strange crowd. You feel almost as if you have been in a car crash, and that you are staring right back out at the rubberneckers.

What did religion have to do with it? Nothing at all unless you are talking about the proto-religion that is car culture, and its God Clarkson.

Telling a half decent joke 15 times is not funny, but it is interesting. He told it in the truck to provide the studio audience with a taster. When he told it again in front of them, there was rapture - nothing less than a mass-market transcendental event. When he told a joke about the joke in the next programme, I swear that some in the audience starting crying with joy.

It's true I don't find it entertaining, but that's no reason not to watch. I watch it for the studio audience. Can't take my eyes off them. Strange crowd. You feel almost as if you have been in a car crash, and that you are staring right back out at the rubberneckers.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Good god, it seems to me you need to find something else to do with your time. There must be something more entertaining/constructive for you to do than not only keep watching a programme you clearly hate but then also to come on a Latics website to whinge about it. Surely?

Good god, it seems to me you need to find something else to do with your time. There must be something more entertaining/constructive for you to do than not only keep watching a programme you clearly hate but then also to come on a Latics website to whinge about it. Surely?

Are you seriously talking to me about wasting time? Lord help us.