Jeremy Clarkson upsets 188 people

BlueJazzer

So fresh on the back of some tart whining about a funny answering machine message, Jeremy Clarkson has now upset 188 people for making a joke about truckers murdering prostitutes. Now dont get me wrong, i'm against wierdos going about killing hookers as much as the next person, but, for gods sake.... IT WAS A JOKE!!! And a damn funny one! I was watching the program, i heard it, i laughed, i got over it.

I just dont understand how a couple of complaints can lead to the dismissal/resignation/suspension of a celeb?! Apparently about 28,000 people complained about the Ross/Brand thing. His audience was 3 million. So that means approximately 2,972,000 people didnt complain. And then the rest of the country heard about it and a further 59,900,000 people didnt complain either.....

Some people need to just get a life. Max Clifford reckons that this could shatter the 'promising model's' career? She gets her tits out in Nuts! This has made her profile go through the roof! She should be bloody thanking them, not whining about it!!!!!

So anyway, back to my point. If an official complaint goes in about the Top Gear joke, and Jezza gets taken off air, then i'm off to Shephards Bush to storm the building and give Director General Mark Thompson a chinese burn, and possibly a wedgie of doom, just for good measure.

Anyone fancy splitting the petrol money?

:wedgie::bat:

1) The overwhelming majority of complainers about Brand/Ross didn't listen to it. They jumped on the bandwagon.

2) That still doesn't make it right: if somebody rang my Dad to say they'd had sex with my daughter I'd want to kill them.

3) A gentleman retains discretion when he's had his way with a lady, even a Satanic Slut ;)

3) Clarkson hasn't target any individual - it's a genralistic joke - take it or leave it. Quite funny when I think about it, not funny to others. Not in the same very personal class that Brand/Ross found.

4) The BBC is a bloated, wasteful up its own arse organisation at the best of times.

5) The BBC spends more on digital channels that nobody watches than Sky spend on sport. They could actually put Sky out of business and provide us all with free (licence fee funded) football on our tellys simply by scrapping their :censored:e channels and giving us a single sports channel.

Edited by opinions4u

1) The overwhelming majority of complainers about Brand/Ross didn't listen to it. They jumped on the bandwagon.

2) That still doesn't make it right: if somebody rang my Dad to say they'd had sex with my daughter I'd want to kill them.

3) A gentleman retains discretion when he's had his way with a lady, even a Satanic Slut ;)

3) Clarkson hasn't target any individual - it's a genralistic joke - take it or leave it. Quite funny when I think about it, not funny to others. Not in the same very personal class that Brand/Ross found.

4) The BBC is a bloated, wasteful up its own arse organisation at the best of times.

5) The BBC spends more on digital channels that nobody watches than Sky spend on sport. They could actually put Sky out of business and provide us all with free (licence fee funded) football on our tellys simply by scrapping their :censored:e channels and giving us a single sports channel.

Clarkson for PM, I say.

Talking of the Beeb wasting shed loads of money, I believe they sent about 175 people to the good old USA to to cover election day.

Clarkson for PM, I say.

Talking of the Beeb wasting shed loads of money, I believe they sent about 175 people to the good old USA to to cover election day.

My problem with the Clarkson joke was that it was funny the first time, but not the fifteenth. If you're generally not funny and tell a funny joke by accident, the temptation, I suppose, is to keep on telling the same joke again and again. My complaint to the BBC over Clarkson will centre on unnecessary repetition.

Also, can anyone really say what the audience get out of the filming of an edition of Top Gear?

IT will be a shame if the bandwagon jumping following the Ross/Brand thing means that comedy gets censored, but I don’t think the two things are the same. AS above the latter looks very much like a criminal offence, which is hardly the same thing as a difference of opinion about the tastefulness or funniness of Clarkson. And clearly the bird is seeking to cash in on it but what difference does that make? IT wasn’t her that they phoned.

Anyway, if it harms the BBC then it’s all good. Self-serving toadies.

What do the studio audience get out of it? What's their game?

You could ask the same of 90% of studio audiences. What's your point??

Edit: Good to see sensible opinions above. But then that's often the case.....to me most individuals aren't as ridiculously PC as the country as a whole is, which makes me wonder why the country is as it is?! I bet for every person who complained about Ross/Brand there were 10 who have berated the complainees (is that a word?!?) and yet it is the PC brigade that has by far the loudest voice. I suppose it is largely down to the media.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

You could ask the same of 90% of studio audiences. What's your point??

Edit: Good to see sensible opinions above. But then that's often the case.....to me most individuals aren't as ridiculously PC as the country as a whole is, which makes me wonder why the country is as it is?! I bet for every person who complained about Ross/Brand there were 10 who have berated the complainees (is that a word?!?) and yet it is the PC brigade that has by far the loudest voice. I suppose it is largely down to the media.

The point is that there's this scripted banter between three poshos, loosely based around cars, but including between the lines a certain strand of British bigotry. There are also some films of said men in cars, sometimes undertaking fake and ludicrous "challenges" and, again, expressing a certain British attitude to driving motor cars. While all this is going on, several hundred people are standing in the background. Why? Why? Why?

Why are they standing there? What do they get out of it? Where do they live? What do they do by way of jobs? WTF is going on with them?

The point is that there's this scripted banter between three poshos, loosely based around cars, but including between the lines a certain strand of British bigotry. There are also some films of said men in cars, sometimes undertaking fake and ludicrous "challenges" and, again, expressing a certain British attitude to driving motor cars. While all this is going on, several hundred people are standing in the background. Why? Why? Why?

Why are they standing there? What do they get out of it? Where do they live? What do they do by way of jobs? WTF is going on with them?

I have had the pleasure of being an audience member a good few years ago.

Basically you get to meet the presenters (it wasnt as jam packed back then) and you get to see them cock up every single time they try a take, which itself is better than the programme!

I am a big watcher of it, and i work in the car industry (before they started playing with £100k supercars it was more information based watch but thats 5th gear now.)

Now i watch it for the stupidity of it, i would love to go blippin round Japan in the new Skyline, OK i wont do, but thats why i enjoy it, smashing up lorries, funny!

I laughed at clarkson's joke on sunday the first time, not the second.

I did not find it offensive, it was a joke. I don't find any joke about anything offensive.

I F***ing hate this disgustingly PC country that we have become.

That is one of the main reasons I wanted to leave England. It's wrong to say anything these days. I grew up on a daily dose of Monty Python.... try re-enacting one of those funny scenes these days and you wouldn't be able to laugh without being slated for it.

But..... I digress.

That is one of the main reasons I wanted to leave England. It's wrong to say anything these days. I grew up on a daily dose of Monty Python.... try re-enacting one of those funny scenes these days and you wouldn't be able to laugh without being slated for it.

But..... I digress.

Does anybody remember the Monty Python sketch "The Kalahari Cricket Club" where a 'bone through nose' local is bowling to a stiff upper lip English batsman?

Turns out it's a spear he's bowling, commentator goes "Oh, he's got him!".

Would love a recording of that!

No chance these days.

I F***ing hate this disgustingly PC country that we have become.

I do too, but every time I get slightly vexed, or frustrated about something vaguely PC, I just think back to what it was like in 'thee olden days', growing up during Thatcherism, seeing unemployment rocketing and riots on TV by people who simply just wanted to work and not be shafted. OK, you could laugh and make jokes about religion, race, poofs and all that and everyone thought you had freedom of speech then. Good old freedom of speech.

But you didn't. It was worse then. Records were banned because they hinted at gay sex, or mocked the monarchy (oooh, send em up Traitors Gate!). You couldn't go for a pint on a Sunday afternoon because the pub was shut. As a football fan you were treated like the equine hoi polloi, herded around in cages, prodded at with truncheons and kept behind after games for 25 minutes. Dame Edna Everage was about as 'outrageous' and 'cutting edge' as they came.

But at least you could make jokes about truckers slaying prostitutes back then. Aye.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

It's a bit of fun. I assume you don't like it? Well, I suppose you have the option to turn off...............

For what it's worth I think it's a bit overscripted now but it's still good fun, and as Beardy says, who wouldn't mind ragging across Japan in a Skyline? And, my 4 year old loves it. Thankfully she doesn't get the adult jokes but thinks the "silly boys in the cars" are great, particularly when smashing up old caravans/buliding rockets out of old Reliants and jumping a mini off a ski ramp etc.

It's a bit of fun. That's all.

PS - the audience pressumably get a kick out of it seeing as the waiting list to watch the recording of the show is something like 2 or 3 years.

Edited by danoafc

It's a bit of fun. I assume you don't like it? Well, I suppose you have the option to turn off...............

For what it's worth I think it's a bit overscripted now but it's still good fun, and as Beardy says, who wouldn't mind ragging across Japan in a Skyline? And, my 4 year old loves it. Thankfully she doesn't get the adult jokes but thinks the "silly boys in the cars" are great, particularly when smashing up old caravans/buliding rockets out of old Reliants and jumping a mini off a ski ramp etc.

It's a bit of fun. That's all.

PS - the audience pressumably get a kick out of it seeing as the waiting list to watch the recording of the show is something like 2 or 3 years.

Who cares whether I like it or not? I want someone to explain, in simple terms, why there is such a massive studio audience.

I understand the gawkers who sit in the stalls to watch Jonathan Woss and Graham Norton or whoever talk to people from the worlds of TV, music and film; I get the crowds at sporting events, who want to see their team win, or some sort of contest and an interesting game of something; I do not demure when people go see bands or other musical artistes: but I am f***** if I know why such a creepily large gaggle of people want to watch middle-aged poshos talk about cars.

And there is a waiting list of several years!

Why?
Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

I'm not sure, but I'd hazard a guess that it's something to do with both the 2/3 year waiting list and BBC ticket revenue.

Hmmm. I want to know what they get out of it, and why there is a waiting list. This is a very interesting mystery.

Do people just want to be close to Richard Hammond because his brain may have been damaged in that high-speed, near-death accident experience a while back? Is the thrill derived from that proximity sexual and/or violent?

Is James May's "Christian Driving" reputation a kind of motor vehicular emasculation? Is he the eunech of the show, or its monk, because he does not use motor vehicles for sexual pleasure? The reputations of the other two are clearly enhanced by his presence.

Is Jeremy Clarkson the leader of the motoring nation? Do we look to him to form our attitudes to driving? Do we subconsciously seek the approval of the great leader? Do people who get close to him better know his mind?

I might have answered my own question.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill