Hughesy

Really what we need is someone with the talent to spot those like Scunny did. The list is becoming a good one for them.

Sharp, Keogh and now Hooper and Hayes. I think the pertinent question is why are we going for has beens and gambles, yet a club of similar staure in the last 5 years has dug up 4 diamonds. What is it that is wrong with our scouting system?

KtF,

Derek.

I agree, but I don't think Hayes was anything new. He was with Scunny originally before going to Barnsley and back to Scunny. But yes, they've the finger on the pulse regarding strikers. Or it could be they've been a bit lucky.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after reading/hearing a lot of tosh that has/is being said about our team/squad at the moment, it takes me back to the start of the season and conversations about our key players....we need to keep fit.... Crossley, Greagan, hughes and taylor, if we are to do well...........yet, because these guys are our most influential players, when they go through an 'indifferent'/lack of form spell, as they seem to all be having at the same time.... we are so quick to get on their backs, because the reality is, that without these playing well, we are nothing more than mid table at the best!!!! so back the lads or tune into setanta you ejits!! :chubb:

after reading/hearing a lot of tosh that has/is being said about our team/squad at the moment, it takes me back to the start of the season and conversations about our key players....we need to keep fit.... Crossley, Greagan, hughes and taylor, if we are to do well...........yet, because these guys are our most influential players, when they go through an 'indifferent'/lack of form spell, as they seem to all be having at the same time.... we are so quick to get on their backs, because the reality is, that without these playing well, we are nothing more than mid table at the best!!!! so back the lads or tune into setanta you ejits!! :chubb:

Are we really anything better than upper mid table anyway???

Was the pre season optimism over egged a little on here?

I think so.

KtF,

Derek.

I think so.

KtF,

Derek.

after finishing 8th last year with greagan, Lidds and Hughes injured for most and very little back up (decent finish really)

.........then Shez signs 6/7 reasonably optimistic talented footballers, then yes...i think this season at the start we were as well equipped as any (bar leeds, leics, mk, peterborough) to challenge for promotion...and despite a poor month, if we sort our "heads and arses apart" i still think we still do....

....if after all of the pre season optimism, you still felt that we were only going to be a mid table side this year..i suggest you pick your remote control up and decide which "teletext premiergreed team" you are going to follow for the rest of the season and maybe over egg them!!! :wink:

after finishing 8th last year with greagan, Lidds and Hughes injured for most and very little back up (decent finish really)

.........then Shez signs 6/7 reasonably optimistic talented footballers, then yes...i think this season at the start we were as well equipped as any (bar leeds, leics, mk, peterborough) to challenge for promotion...and despite a poor month, if we sort our "heads and arses apart" i still think we still do....

....if after all of the pre season optimism, you still felt that we were only going to be a mid table side this year..i suggest you pick your remote control up and decide which "teletext premiergreed team" you are going to follow for the rest of the season and maybe over egg them!!! :wink:

Ah that old chestnut.

Because I am a critic (rather than happy clappy) I should feck off and watch whichever team is winning.

It isn't about that FB, it is though about realising what we are.

In your post without any surprise you put 4 teams in there that you think that perhaps we are not the equal of. Of course we all play in the same division but we are of the 'have not' variety rather than the 'haves'. Two of those teams mentioned do have 20,000+ crowds regularly. The other two are having money thrown at them like it is going out of fashion.

Scunthorpe have just come down, but from their championship winning season we know that they are all about team over individual. They win consistently and whilst not having a great record against the top six or seven, they regularly despatch teams like Stockport, Yeovil, Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham et al. They really know what it takes and do it on a regular basis.

Going back to Stockport - a team on their uppers, really only Hereford that has let the promoted teams down by being completely out of their depth.

Then we have the Brightons of the world, teams that finish well and are challengers for one of the last play off spots that I think we are realistically challenging for. We are not going to go up automatically - Leeds and Leicester will throw money at it in the new year if it isn't working. Peterborough and MK Dons will do the same for 3rd - 7th place.

For the also rans there are two places available and we are in with a shout, but so are a good half a dozen other teams.

I have been watching this team for 34 years and I now realise we are a third division club with third division ambitions.

A decent cup run, a flirt with the play offs and everyone should be happy and should stay that way.

Bollocks - give 'em a kick up the arse every now and then - that's why we are fans rather than spectators.

KtF,

Derek.

I think so.

KtF,

Derek.

Is it not every year though? Most signings are over hyped, look at the downfall of Davies. No way near as bad as some would make out, but also not as good as he was made out to be early on.

The difference this year was we had a good nucleus of a squad to improve on, we added a lot of new faces in the summer and kept most of last years squad hence the optimism. What is worrying is that hardly any of the new signings have made an impact on the first team and we have already sent one back out of the club! (albeit on loan)

Edited by wozz_oafc

Is it not every year though? Most signings are over hyped, look at the downfall of Davies. No way near as bad as some would make out, but also not as good as he was made out to be early on.

The difference this year was we had a good nucleus of a squad to improve on, we added a lot of new faces in the summer and kept most of last years squad hence the optimism. What is worrying is that hardly any of the new signings have made an impact on the first team and we have already sent one back out of the club! (albeit on loan)

The last signings I got giddy about were Lids and Wellens - and rightly so IMO.

This year everyone was going ballistic about Whits.

I didn't even know who he was.

KtF,

Derek.

The last signings I got giddy about were Lids and Wellens - and rightly so IMO.

This year everyone was going ballistic about Whits.

I didn't even know who he was.

KtF,

Derek.

haha I cant remember the last signing I got truley giddy about.

As for Whits the Vale supporter at my old work said one good game every 10 so he has surpassed my expectations so far.

Ah that old chestnut.

It isn't about that FB, it is though about realising what we are.

In your post without any surprise you put 4 teams in there that you think that perhaps we are not the equal of. Of course we all play in the same division but we are of the 'have not' variety rather than the 'haves'. Two of those teams mentioned do have 20,000+ crowds regularly. The other two are having money thrown at them like it is going out of fashion.

Scunthorpe have just come down, but from their championship winning season we know that they are all about team over individual. They win consistently and whilst not having a great record against the top six or seven, they regularly despatch teams like Stockport, Yeovil, Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham et al. They really know what it takes and do it on a regular basis.

Going back to Stockport - a team on their uppers, really only Hereford that has let the promoted teams down by being completely out of their depth.

Then we have the Brightons of the world, teams that finish well and are challengers for one of the last play off spots that I think we are realistically challenging for. We are not going to go up automatically - Leeds and Leicester will throw money at it in the new year if it isn't working. Peterborough and MK Dons will do the same for 3rd - 7th place.

For the also rans there are two places available and we are in with a shout, but so are a good half a dozen other teams.

I have been watching this team for 34 years and I now realise we are a third division club with third division ambitions.

A decent cup run, a flirt with the play offs and everyone should be happy and should stay that way.

Bollocks - give 'em a kick up the arse every now and then - that's why we are fans rather than spectators.

KtF,

Derek.

Derek, after reading many of your posts, i realise that you are not one of the "new" breed and indeed a fan who has seen many years of happy suffering (i am only 26yrs watching this team) however, like you, many seasons seem to be spent realising that we are no more than lower division fodder, yet this year i reallydid/still do believe that we are as strong squad wise....forget crowds/history and current sky sports reputation, as the majority of this division.

i singled out the "big 4" for the same reason as you have mentioned them.....crowds and resources.

BUT i would be very disappointed if at the end of this year, we have not finished above your Brightons/Stockports etc and not competed with scunthorpe in the league table.

I fell that we have the most ambitious/supportive board/owners that in my lifetime we have ever had and one of the games brightest ex footballers as our manager....

Far from being a happy clapper, i would be very pleased to seet his squad of players/staff... take us into the championship/....(division 2)....and our supportive owners back us to consolidate that for a number of years!!!!

if that's happy clapping...i'm going to call it staying positive.

:shock:

Hughes is twice the player he is. And probably spends less time out injured! :lol:

Is it 2 league games Hughes has missed? With a third of the season gone.....

*Touch Wood*

Hughes was twice the player Porter is yes, he no doubt has more ability, just look what he can do after 3 or 4 years away from the game. But in terms of Oldham Athletic Football Club, has his goals fired us to a play off place? No, not yet!

For you to be shocked at me stating that Chris Porter was class baffles me. Id love someone like him to be up their with Hughes this season to be honest. Give me Porter over Alessandra, Smalley,Wolfenden, Davies and O Grady everytime.

Hughes was twice the player Porter is yes, he no doubt has more ability, just look what he can do after 3 or 4 years away from the game. But in terms of Oldham Athletic Football Club, has his goals fired us to a play off place? No, not yet!

For you to be shocked at me stating that Chris Porter was class baffles me. Id love someone like him to be up their with Hughes this season to be honest. Give me Porter over Alessandra, Smalley,Wolfenden, Davies and O Grady everytime.

Nope, not yet! He's still twice the player. Porter was far from 'class'.......he got 20 goals yes which to many made him seem much better than he was. Hughes contributes that and far more. I'd also take Alessandra over Porter everytime.

Never much rated Porter. Was glad to see the back of him until I realised we were being stung! He was decent in the air and had a knack of being in the right place at the right time - not so difficult that season when we played 75% of most games in the opposition half. Even Warney had a career high haul.

Nope, not yet! He's still twice the player. Porter was far from 'class'.......he got 20 goals yes which to many made him seem much better than he was. Hughes contributes that and far more. I'd also take Alessandra over Porter everytime.

Never much rated Porter. Was glad to see the back of him until I realised we were being stung! He was decent in the air and had a knack of being in the right place at the right time - not so difficult that season when we played 75% of most games in the opposition half. Even Warney had a career high haul.

I have to say that i wouldn't mind a :censored: striker every year who bags 20 goals!! He can look as good or as bad as he wants for that return. He's not in Hughes' mould though...not by a long way.......Now i'd take Aless over Warne, but Porter?!?!?!? not sure yet.

I have to say that i wouldn't mind a :censored: striker every year who bags 20 goals!! He can look as good or as bad as he wants for that return.

Of course - but I didn't think he was :censored:. I do think he was a quite lucky to reach 21(?) goals though.

Hughes isn't even twice the player Luke Beckett was for us with a very similar injury record.*

I'M BACCCCCKKKK.

Even? For me Beckett was better than Porter.

I just don't get it though, I watch the game pretty closely and I just don't see what people think sets him apart from our other goalscorers, so far it isn't hitting the back of the net, he isn't quick, he isn't skilful and he doesn't dominate in the air.

I suppose i could back Stitch up here and ask if you are talking about Porter :grin: However, back to Hughes....his movement off the ball and 'off the defenders shoulders' runs are as good imo as Ritchies were in his day. He is agressive, ruffles defenders, has a good first touch and when in form, knows where the back of the onion bag is. Without going over old ground....let's not forget that this guy had 3 years out of the game, which is an incredible amount of time considering the level he played at.

To me the only advantage Hughes has over Beckett during his period with us is that he's quicker off the mark.

...and to counteract that, Beckett was much more a team player.

Hughes has a terrible habit of head down and ignore everyone else - which is just fine if you can weigh in with 30 odd a season, but he doesn't.

Beckett on the other hand was part and parcel of the run that saw the often maligned Chris Killen through his very purple patch whilst weighing in with not an inconsiderable tally himself.

KtF,

Derek.

Guest oa_exile
To me the only advantage Hughes has over Beckett during his period with us is that he's quicker off the mark.

One of Shez's early mistakes was showing Beckett the door , a Beckett-Porter partnership could / may have got us up.

Warney did a sterling job with Porter BUT Warney was no Beckett in front of goal.