Hughesy

Nope, not yet! He's still twice the player. Porter was far from 'class'.......he got 20 goals yes which to many made him seem much better than he was. Hughes contributes that and far more. I'd also take Alessandra over Porter everytime.

Never much rated Porter. Was glad to see the back of him until I realised we were being stung! He was decent in the air and had a knack of being in the right place at the right time - not so difficult that season when we played 75% of most games in the opposition half. Even Warney had a career high haul.

You lost me there mate Aless over Porter everytime? An unproven kid over a striker who has proven they can score over 20 goals in this division.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of Shez's early mistakes was showing Beckett the door , a Beckett-Porter partnership could / may have got us up.

Warney did a sterling job with Porter BUT Warney was no Beckett in front of goal.

I don't know, he's been pretty poor at Hudders since he joined, I think we got the last out of Beckett that season.

Guest oa_exile
I don't know, he's been pretty poor at Hudders since he joined, I think we got the last out of Beckett that season.

well we will never know , 2006-07 : 15 goals in a poor Udders side that finished mid table.

Em Kcuf.

Some here are going to different games than me.

Beckett adds more to the team than Hughes?

No he didn't. He was a finisher and not much else. Hughes of course is a bit greedy but still brings more to the team than Beckett ever did. He has more anticipation, ability, skill, touch and presence than him. Totally different league of player.

I honestly have no idea how this thread got beyond pointing and laughing at the start.

Em Kcuf.

Some here are going to different games than me.

Beckett adds more to the team than Hughes?

No he didn't. He was a finisher and not much else. Hughes of course is a bit greedy but still brings more to the team than Beckett ever did. He has more anticipation, ability, skill, touch and presence than him. Totally different league of player.

I honestly have no idea how this thread got beyond pointing and laughing at the start.

If only Hughes had a decent striker alongside him - then we would see the real class of the guy - Porter up front with Hughes would be a dream ticket :wink:

Alessandra is our most effective striker.

TEAM GOALS PER GAME WHERE THEY'VE PLAYED:

LA 1.72; LH 1.41; CD 1.25;

We are significantly more likely to score when Alessandra plays, but less likely to score with Davies on the pitch!

POINTS PER GAME WHERE THEY'VE PLAYED:

LA: 1.66; LH 1.49; CD 1.35;

We get more points when Alessandra plays and least points if Davies is on the pitch.

WINS PER GAME:

LA 0.47; LH 0.38; CD 0.35

Similar to the points stat.

STRIKE PAIR GOALS PER GAME WHERE BOTH PLAYERS HAVE BEEN ON THE PITCH:

LA/LH 0.63; LA/CD 0.35; CD/LH 0.51

Our strikers score more when Hughes and Alessandra play together.

(Stats up to and including the Yeavil game - cup games treated as league games where points have been calculated).

Does it matter, Allessandra had only scored one before Scunthorpe. And to all you Hughesy lovers, I myself do think hes a good player, hes just not hitting form at the minute, and thus like Allessandra must be dropped sooner or later if it continues.

i agree with your point, sadly hughes gregan and crossley are the old heads in the side with the most experience , that is why shez wont risk leaving them out and so their names are in ink on the team sheet each week.

To me the only advantage Hughes has over Beckett during his period with us is that he's quicker off the mark.

Another way to look at that is that Beckett wouldn't have been such a very one-dimensional player if he hadn't had my brother tied around his waist. Movement is, I contend, important to forward play. Not just the quality and quantity of it, but the ability to do it at all

I'M BACCCCCKKKK.

Is that your year up then?

Another way to look at that is that Beckett wouldn't have been such a very one-dimensional player if he hadn't had my brother tied around his waist. Movement is, I contend, important to forward play. Not just the quality and quantity of it, but the ability to do it at all

Is that your year up then?

i would much rather see us going for someone like sturridge than windass....

i dont understand why we have to go for has beens either....

porter wasnt brilliant,but he did get into the right areas,although i think if you watched a video of his goals that season 3/4 of them went in off anything other than his boot....where as beckett would make something from very little and put it away.

he got 20 goals yes which to many made him seem much better than he was.

Congratulations!!!....The most ridiculous line I've ever had the misfortune to read on OWTB...as for the rest of your summing up on Porter...ridiculous...still, we'll be fine...we've always got Matty Wolfenden! :disappointed:

Edited by boundaryblue80

Congratulations!!!....The most ridiculous line I've ever had the misfortune to read on OWTB...as for the rest of your summing up on Porter...ridiculous...still, we'll be fine...we've always got Matty Wolfenden! :disappointed:

3/4 of them went in off anything other than his boot

Some people expect magic. If a player manages 3/4 of 20 goals off his arse, to me he is a true genius.

Beckett for me did a job - but was extremely limited. He scored or nobody did, whereas Porter and Hughes both brought more goals for other people than they scored themselves, directly or indirectly.

haha i hate those bad players who live off their 20 goals a season! :D

:icon_gay:

Oh Hughesey, I know that you are always the best player on the pitch.....even when you are injured (quite often) or suspended (needlessley).....you surely are the greatest :wub:

For God's sake, will you give them blinkers back to the racehorse you borrowed them off?

:lol:

Sorry, been away for a couple of days so missed the enjoyment of this thread, and feeding the ammo to Coco so he can brutally hack me down... :disappointed:

Sorry Rick - I thought my post was fairy considered for me... I actually semi-criticised him, sort of.... but ended up writing a more positive post than I originally intended.

Dont worry, no-one is especilaly safe from my scorn at the moment (except Chrissy taylor tbh) and no-one should be safe in their comfy seats at Latics, including hughesy. I do however find the concept of this whole thread a bit pointless, its a typical "lets all have a pop at one of our big players for no particular reason 'cos we arer crap at the moment" ... which totally clouds what we should be talking about... The fact our midfield is about as much use as Coco and Derek being the key facilitators at a positivity convention...

This whole discussion about who is better and what we need is pointless, the fact is we could have Ronaldo and Rooney up font and we still wouldnt score on a consistent basis at the moment, as the quality of play in the centre of the park is god awful... Hughesy has missed a hat-full recently, and i'd hope sheridan is making him relive his featherstone days and putting a rocket up his arse, but the bottom line is that with a bit more luck he could have scored 6 over the last 4 games, and we would all be sat here happy as larry, he hasnt, and now hughes is getting stick - but hey, at least the fundamental problems in our team havent been covered up :wink:

I'm just wondering if this whole new striker thing hasnt happened as Sheridan has ditered again, and actually realised that it is pointless bringing in another striker when we cant give him any service, so now back to square 1 to bring in a defender, and spend alweek trying to discover if there actually is another formation than 442....

Edited by BigfinLatic

If you say so sir. At least quote me in full though to give people opportunity to take 'the most ridiculous line boundaryblue 80 has ever had the misfortune to read on OWTB' in its full ridiculous context.

Nope, not yet! He's still twice the player. Porter was far from 'class'.......he got 20 goals yes which to many made him seem much better than he was. Hughes contributes that and far more. I'd also take Alessandra over Porter everytime.

Never much rated Porter. Was glad to see the back of him until I realised we were being stung! He was decent in the air and had a knack of being in the right place at the right time - not so difficult that season when we played 75% of most games in the opposition half. Even Warney had a career high haul.

Of course - but I didn't think he was :censored:. I do think he was a quite lucky to reach 21(?) goals though.

I stand by what I said. If you believe the notion that some may over-rate a player due to the number of goals he scored in one season is so ridiculous then you crack on. If it's that ridiculous I wonder what else could have led Sven to ridiculously select Michael Ricketts? :lol:

As for the other ridiculous aspect of my post, my summing up of Porter, was he not decent in the air? Did he not have a knack of being in the right place at the right time, to score those 6-8 extra tap ins that made him such a good player? Please note these two questions are rhetorical, you ridiculous cretin.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

If you believe the notion that some may over-rate a player due to the number of goals he scored in one season is so ridiculous then you crack on.

Well, I would reply to this post, but I've got loads to do today - so....

I must CRACK ON...