Hughesy

Id call most people a numpty if theyre chatting like that. Hardly the most offensive word I could have picked is it? Christ if someone called me a numpty in a debate in the pub and I got all upset Id be straight down the psychiatric clinic.

My point is, hardly anybody is getting praise at the minute at BP. So going by your standards we'd all be sat in silence.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I show you my season ticket and ticket stubs for the majority of the away games this year. Obviously your another one who cant take Hughesy criticism. This board is very much one minded, unfortunately people of a different mind mustnt do things the same as the other members, ie I get accused of not going when you must be a super fan.

Ste shouldn't you be doing your collage work instead of posted daff stuff on here

Should I show you my season ticket and ticket stubs for the majority of the away games this year. Obviously your another one who cant take Hughesy criticism. This board is very much one minded, unfortunately people of a different mind mustnt do things the same as the other members, ie I get accused of not going when you must be a super fan.

Now, as Hughesy's unnofficial biggest fan, perhaps I should come on here and live up to your stereotype...but i'm not gonna (well, sort of), and I perfectly understand your frustrations.... how hughesy hasnt scored some of the chances that have fallen to him recently is baffling....

However, as has been said, if he wasnt getting these chances, working his socks off, and being one of the best players on the pich on a consistent basis then I would be worried... but he is, and the only thing missing is hitting the onion bag, which is just bad luck - especially seeing the form of some of the keepers we have played recently....

The diference between hughes and lewi, was that not only was lewi not scoring, his head had gone down and his all round game had deteriorated, that is why he was dropped.... the unfortunate thisng about the hughesy situation is that him not hitting the net has coincided witht he rest of the team playinmg like a bunch of bemused idiots who have never kicked a ball in their life, therefore massively adding to the pressure....

The problems in this team are not rooted at Lewi or Hughesy's door - yes we would like them to score more, but hughesy's all round game has been one of the best in the team... he will start scoring again... we just need someone around him to help him.....

Unfortunately it is the view of some that if a team is playing crap, then it is the strikers fault for not scoring goals... unfotunately the problems are deeper than that....

Guest sheridans_world
Now, as Hughesy's unnofficial biggest fan, perhaps I should come on here and live up to your stereotype...but i'm not gonna (well, sort of), and I perfectly understand .... the problems are deeper than that....

I thank you.

HUGHESY HUGHESY HUGHESY

I suppose if you see nothing in a striker other than howmany goals they score, then I suppose you might say that it would make sense to drop Hughes and replace him with COG or CD - no hang on, even if you accept that none of them will ever score again until the end of time, Hughes is far better.

Which is exactly my point to begin with. The sun shines out of his arse therefore he can do no wrong

Or is it that he has done more right than all of our other strikers put together, and then some? Maybe that earns the guy a bit of slack when he is nearly as bad as the others once or twice.

Now, as Hughesy's unnofficial biggest fan, perhaps I should come on here and live up to your stereotype...but i'm not gonna (well, sort of), and I perfectly understand your frustrations.... how hughesy hasnt scored some of the chances that have fallen to him recently is baffling....

However, as has been said, if he wasnt getting these chances, working his socks off, and being one of the best players on the pich on a consistent basis then I would be worried... but he is, and the only thing missing is hitting the onion bag, which is just bad luck - especially seeing the form of some of the keepers we have played recently....

The diference between hughes and lewi, was that not only was lewi not scoring, his head had gone down and his all round game had deteriorated, that is why he was dropped.... the unfortunate thisng about the hughesy situation is that him not hitting the net has coincided witht he rest of the team playinmg like a bunch of bemused idiots who have never kicked a ball in their life, therefore massively adding to the pressure....

The problems in this team are not rooted at Lewi or Hughesy's door - yes we would like them to score more, but hughesy's all round game has been one of the best in the team... he will start scoring again... we just need someone around him to help him.....

Unfortunately it is the view of some that if a team is playing crap, then it is the strikers fault for not scoring goals... unfotunately the problems are deeper than that....

:icon_gay:

Oh Hughesey, I know that you are always the best player on the pitch.....even when you are injured (quite often) or suspended (needlessley).....you surely are the greatest :wub:

For God's sake, will you give them blinkers back to the racehorse you borrowed them off?

Unfortunately for Sheridan, he hasn't got any option but to play Hughes at the moment (until this alleged new striker comes in). To be honest, Hughes has to be first choice simply because of what he offers with his all round game. He will start scoring and when he does, I think it will be hard to stop him from reaching the 20+ mark.

O'Grady will be back but and I hope Davies will be as well, stronger and better than before, to give us a potentially lethal strike force. For now, 'though, it's Hughie and Lewi up front for me. :)

Guest oa_exile
I'd love to post something about Lee Hughes in this thread, but after 18 months I think i've finally worn myself out.

I'll take that as a positive post then :lol:

To be honest, Hughes has to be first choice simply because of what he offers with his all round game.

Yes, he's dead good at football!

MR PROZAC (sorry to presume, anyone else either :) ) --- I asked earlier this season what our goal stats were with Hughes on and off the pitch. Anyone good for an update?

Guest oa_exile
I just haven't got it in me anymore, time was I would jump all over some of the comments in here (especially BigFins :grin: ), but I just can't be bothered.

Have yourself a nice cup of Coco :) and get yourself off to bed , and come back with avengance tomorrow ^_^

Yes, he's dead good at football!

MR PROZAC (sorry to presume, anyone else either :) ) --- I asked earlier this season what our goal stats were with Hughes on and off the pitch. Anyone good for an update?

And therein lies the crux of what he brings to the team.

A good 40% of last season injured - even perma crock Lids (according to some) managed one more appearance.

This season the majority of it half fit, suspended for a game through an act of unbelievable petulism - 4 bookings or not, put your brain in gear lad.

For me he is a luxury we can't afford. Billy Big Bollocks on the pitch a la Gregan marching all over the place shouting and bawling at anyone and everything, but the lad spends almost half the season out.

Undoubtedly a lethal marksman when fit, but how many times does it really happen?

15 goals this season max. He will spend another 3 months out injured with his pulled bollock again I would bet.

Not the man for the job.

Where's Scunthorpes striker scout?????

KtF,

Derek.

Edit: there you go Coco, there is a man to take up your miserablist mantle whenever you want. Me.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

15 goals is a good return (Davies' tally last season?) I think it will be more. Hopefully, he won't pull his bollox again as he should be getting stronger now he's had the op. :wink:

Indeed. Hughes seems to be getting stronger since that initial reaction to his op, and has started most games since, gaining in fitness as he goes. He has been involved in a massive number of or goals either as creator or provider, and his play has clearly created goals for the team even when he hasn't been directly involved. Still, if know-nothings and the bastard love-child of Woody Allen and Charles Hawtrey hate him, at least it takes some pressure of our younger players whose careers they were previously focused on destroying. Hughes is old enough to handle it.

I agree with your sentiments, Derek, but I hope you're wrong.

15 goals is a good return (Davies' tally last season?) I think it will be more. Hopefully, he won't pull his bollox again as he should be getting stronger now he's had the op. :wink:

Of the current crop, who is the man for the job?

I don't think we have anything close to a Chris Porter at the moment.

My views on Hughes are above.

Lewis - should be in and out of the team. He isn't a Rooney or Owen and should be played sparingly as the lad is learning his trade.

COG - I will welcome him back as a hold up player, but I don't see a prolific marksman in those boots - but he could be a great asset to the team in time.

Davies - forget him. He has more loose slates than New Orleans had after the hurricane. I would bet my bottom dolar we will never see him again in Oldham blue. I have absolutely no idea what has gone on, not heard any rumours. I have though seen enough players shipped out in my time to make that judgement call.

Deano - well I reckon he could do a filling in job, I said pre-season he would be good for 10 goals given a season of playing. Think Shez is asking him to plug the holes a la MacDonald last season which won't help, but another one for the future.

Really what we need is someone with the talent to spot those like Scunny did. The list is becoming a good one for them.

Sharp, Keogh and now Hooper and Hayes. I think the pertinent question is why are we going for has beens and gambles, yet a club of similar stature in the last 5 years has dug up 4 diamonds. What is it that is wrong with our scouting system?

KtF,

Derek.

Edit: Oops! two 't's in stature.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968