Final score 0-1 Cheltenham

Can somebody PLEASE explain how Hughes got himself sent off on Saturday? The Ref made a comedy decision, how the :censored: can that be Hughes' fault?

He got two yellow cards. The first for stupidly kicking the ball away, and to be fair to him the second was a poor decision. If he hadn't already been booked for his silly behaviour, the refs bad decision for a second booking wouldn't have caused a problem as it would have been his first.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did we play 4-5-1 and not 4-3-3? Especially at home to gash opposition. And come on, it was 4-5-1, who exactly got remotely close to Lewis in the 1st half?

Why are our only two moves to play it across the back 4 a couple of times and then HOOF to Alessandra and Wolf (the two smallest players at the club) OR to pass it round hoping to finally get it to Jones who will then give it Taylor? Once it gets to Taylor thats it, it's job done, you can almost hear the huge sigh of relief from the other 10, everyone just stands back and watches him.

Why oh why is Crossley still in nets? He's a liability. He will lose more goals than he saves. That throw in for their goal was his to claim, no messing.

Why are we not playing to feet, especially to the feet of Lewis and Wolf? They'd turn most defences inside out with the ball but not when it's over their head. Maher threatened a few times in the first half by finding feet on the edge of the box, the rest of the time it was pot luck.

Why is Jones just a shadow of the player we signed? It's because he's lost all drive. He/we were on fire when he bombed on, working well with Taylor, overlapping at every opportunity. Now he just finds him and sits back.

Why did we only have 1 fit and available striker when we have 6 or 7 at the club?

Why did I waste £20 and 3 hours of my life when I knew full well what was going to happen? I text Derk at 19:46 telling him to get his mortgage on a 1-0 Cheltenham win.

Why is there not a bookies in the RRE?

E4e

WHYOY

He got two yellow cards. The first for stupidly kicking the ball away, and to be fair to him the second was a poor decision. If he hadn't already been booked for his silly behaviour, the refs bad decision for a second booking wouldn't have caused a problem as it would have been his first.

Goes without saying, however seeing as everyone agrees Hughes only commited one bookable offence the blame for him recieving a second booking lies soley with the ref.

Poor performance and shocking result.

No strikers = No goals

A catalogue of mis-management led to us having to field what must be the smallest and most ineffective strike force in the history of the game, Wolfy and Alessandra at about 5'4" and 5'7" respectively and yet we still continued to lump high balls up to them.

Wolfy's marker wasn't even having to jump to beat him in the air, my 12 year old nephew is less lightweight and far more difficult to muscle off the ball than Wolfy, I'm amazed he is still at the club.

Smalley started but heaven only knows why, he didn't even look 50% fit.

I have had running debates on here about the relative merits of Stam and Gregan as central defenders, Stam yet again was shakey and unassured and I was mightily relieved to see him taken off.

As last night showed the water tight combination of Hazell and Stam (or the rock as I prefer to call him) in the centre of defence isn't quite as good as some on here would claim, after reading some posters views on these two I was expecting a better combination than Jobson and Barrett used to be, but alas that was not to be the case, as a pretty ineffective long ball team still managed to breach our impregnable defences.

Shez must shoulder much of the responsibility for last nights striker situation, to be left having to play Wolfy is an unbelievably set of circumstances.

Jones is never a left back in a month of sundays, consistently out of position at the back he is far more useful and effective going forward.

Anyway bad night all round and very difficult to find any positives from last nights result or performance.

Poor performance and shocking result.

No strikers = No goals

A catalogue of mis-management led to us having to field what must be the smallest and most ineffective strike force in the history of the game, Wolfy and Alessandra at about 5'4" and 5'7" respectively and yet we still continued to lump high balls up to them.

Wolfy's marker wasn't even having to jump to beat him in the air, my 12 year old nephew is less lightweight and far more difficult to muscle off the ball than Wolfy, I'm amazed he is still at the club.

Smalley started but heaven only knows why, he didn't even look 50% fit.

I have had running debates on here about the relative merits of Stam and Gregan as central defenders, Stam yet again was shakey and unassured and I was mightily relieved to see him taken off.

As last night showed the water tight combination of Hazell and Stam (or the rock as I prefer to call him) in the centre of defence isn't quite as good as some on here would claim, after reading some posters views on these two I was expecting a better combination than Jobson and Barrett used to be, but alas that was not to be the case, as a pretty ineffective long ball team still managed to breach our impregnable defences.

Shez must shoulder much of the responsibility for last nights striker situation, to be left having to play Wolfy is an unbelievably set of circumstances.

Jones is never a left back in a month of sundays, consistently out of position at the back he is far more useful and effective going forward.

Anyway bad night all round and very difficult to find any positives from last nights result or performance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My spin on las night.

Went on vacation to the main stand upper - OMG, leg room - how do you all cope with that every home game????

Playing wise:

WTF was the selection & formation about last night, 4-5-1 at home in a reply vs a martin allen team, shocking, with who we had available it was screaming out to be 4-3-3.

Deano looked, what 10% fit from the first whistle, why start him in that state, its not helping him or the team, shocking decision to start him, Lidd's made a difference when he eventually cam eon, i'd have started him instaed of a patently injured / not fit smalley.

Gregan in midfield? 10 years ago, yeah sure. Nowdays, distribution wise he played some nice balls at times But, he's too off the pace now to be in there - weird decision.

Wolfy.... whilst i'm not, and have never been a fan of the midget striker - he did really well last night with absolutely no service at all. Whilst i se no future for him at the club, he went up slightly in my estimations last night for his graft & touches, when the ball was played to his feet!

Which leads me swimmingly onto the real bug bear - HOOF.

We crucified Ronnie Moore for his side playing it, but now that's all we've got in our locker it seems.

When we do what we can do, playing high tempo pass & move on the deck, we can mix & match with the best of them (we've proved that already this season) but, as with Bristol / Swindon / Yeovil & now Cheltenahm twice, when we don;'t play on the deck football, we look 1 dimension & devoid of ideas.

Lumping the ball from defence (yes i'm talking to you Lomax / Reubs & Greggs) to our dwarf strike force is just mind-bogglingly stupid.

Even when Hughey is in the side, we have still done it too - and winning headers vs big ass CB's isn't his game either. Why oh why are we doing it??

Weird decisions that have got us to this point:

Scrapping the ressies

Loans out for 2 strikers

Personell selection

Formations

Man Management

Plan A, never mind Plan B or C's.....

the list goes on.

Out of a money spinning cup competion with a wimper - on a shocking run of league form - team on a confidence crissis of our own doing - selection policy............all to be sorted out ASAP unless Mr Sheridan want to be signing on in time for Xmas.

Really bad night last night, and its not a one off - its been a state of play since Stockport.

SORT IT OUT NOW!!

Rant over :mad:

Edited by slystallone

So what exactly are you saying...unless Lee Hughes plays we might as well not turn up. The guy might be off now in January to balance the books or through his own desire to play at a higher level, and what the hell do we do then!

You cannot build your team around the existence of ONE player...We had a glut of forwards at the begining of the season for the first time in years and last night we had ONE!!!

My point was that, despite everyone's insistance that it was such a terrible performance, just having Hughes on would have changed the result in my opinion.

The fact we rely on one player so heavily is definitely not healthy.

In terms of the strikers we have (had), O'Grady was brought in to develop for the future, Alessandra's good form has been a bonus, and we were probably relying (wrongly as it turned out) on Craig Davies building on the potential he showed last season and stepping up to be one half of a promotion winning partnership. Brett Ormerod was - on paper - an inspired loan signing but he looked well off the pace and then got crocked. Hopefully Byfield will step in (for now) and do the job supporting Hughes that we hoped Davies would.

Loaning O'Grady out made sense purely to try and get him more first team football - I think he still needs time before he can come into a promotion chasing League One side.

The killer was loaning out Davies. There is almost certainly a story to be told on that one, and I suspect the decision wasn't wholly Sheridan's (and certainly wasn't a footballing one).

My point was that, despite everyone's insistance that it was such a terrible performance, just having Hughes on would have changed the result in my opinion.

The fact we rely on one player so heavily is definitely not healthy.

In terms of the strikers we have (had), O'Grady was brought in to develop for the future, Alessandra's good form has been a bonus, and we were probably relying (wrongly as it turned out) on Craig Davies building on the potential he showed last season and stepping up to be one half of a promotion winning partnership. Brett Ormerod was - on paper - an inspired loan signing but he looked well off the pace and then got crocked. Hopefully Byfield will step in (for now) and do the job supporting Hughes that we hoped Davies would.

Loaning O'Grady out made sense purely to try and get him more first team football - I think he still needs time before he can come into a promotion chasing League One side.

The killer was loaning out Davies. There is almost certainly a story to be told on that one, and I suspect the decision wasn't wholly Sheridan's (and certainly wasn't a footballing one).

Anyone know how Davies played last night other than not scoring any of 5?

Anyone know how Davies played last night other than not scoring any of 5?

Not that my mate dragged me along to Edgeley Park or anything but ...

Played 90 minutes

Decent work rate

Not necessarily on the same wavelength as a very good Stockport team.

Was pulled back when going through on goal at 1-0 (15 mins) - led to red card and they scored from the free kick. Never any doubt after that who was going to win.

He failed to take the ball past the keeper in two 1 on 1 situations and also wasted a harder chance. Clearly wanted to get on the scoresheet though.

Stockport, despite surviving an early penalty (saved), were excellent.

Their passing game is tremendous and the work rate to support each other is twice that seen at BP. Yeovil were very much the same, easily beatable side we failed to beat at BP.

Their players aren't as talented as those at Latics, but you can understand why they are one of the toughest teams to beat this season, and the number of late winners/equalisers they've scored suggests they are very fit.

Warney came on as sub for Yeovil and hit a thunderbolt against the post. Forbes came on late too and was probably at fault for the 5th.

Edited by opinions4u

Not that my mate dragged me along to Edgeley Park or anything but ...

Played 90 minutes

Decent work rate

Not necessarily on the same wavelength as a very good Stockport team.

Was pulled back when going through on goal at 1-0 (15 mins) - led to red card and they scored from the free kick. Never any doubt after that who was going to win.

He failed to take the ball past the keeper in two 1 on 1 situations and also wasted a harder chance. Clearly wanted to get on the scoresheet though.

Stockport, despite surviving an early penalty (saved), were excellent. Forbes came on late too and was probably at fault for the 5th.

Their passing game is tremendous and the work rate to support each other is twice that seen at BP. Yeovil were very much the same, easily beatable side we failed to beat at BP.

Their players aren't as talented as those at Latics, but you can understand why they are one of the toughest teams to beat this season, and the number of late winners/equalisers they've scored suggests they are very fit.

Warney came on as sub for Yeovil and hit a thunderbolt against the post.

And he is playing in front of bigger crowds.

Stockport got 3500 last night.

We did manage to beat Bury (only just) and Droylsden though.

Taylor gone in Jan

Why did we play 4-5-1 and not 4-3-3? Especially at home to gash opposition. And come on, it was 4-5-1, who exactly got remotely close to Lewis in the 1st half?

Think the idea was to stop them coming through our midfield...sadly though, at home, we've got to be taking the game to the oppo. We couldn't do that due to how short the squad is thanks to the management team

Why are our only two moves to play it across the back 4 a couple of times and then HOOF to Alessandra and Wolf (the two smallest players at the club) OR to pass it round hoping to finally get it to Jones who will then give it Taylor? Once it gets to Taylor thats it, it's job done, you can almost hear the huge sigh of relief from the other 10, everyone just stands back and watches him.

A lack of a player in the middle to pass forward or diagonally. Maher can and showed a few of those. Allott sadly is a bit of a crab at times

Why oh why is Crossley still in nets? He's a liability. He will lose more goals than he saves. That throw in for their goal was his to claim, no messing.

A good post spoilt by an agenda a lot of our fans habour...that :censored:ing throw in should never have got anywhere near Crossley and you know it! Jones, Stam whoever should've been cutting it out at its first bounce...but for Crossley we'dve been down and out before half time!

Why are we not playing to feet, especially to the feet of Lewis and Wolf? They'd turn most defences inside out with the ball but not when it's over their head. Maher threatened a few times in the first half by finding feet on the edge of the box, the rest of the time it was pot luck.

No idea. But our lack of movement and creating space for them to find room is a big part of it.

Why is Jones just a shadow of the player we signed? It's because he's lost all drive. He/we were on fire when he bombed on, working well with Taylor, overlapping at every opportunity. Now he just finds him and sits back.

Coz it seems that Jones is determined to prove he's not a winger. His performance at Cheltenham away was a joke at LW...got the ball several times in space and just refused to push on...and now simply doesn't want to go anywhere near that area of the pitch

Why did we only have 1 fit and available striker when we have 6 or 7 at the club?

Coz Shez can't keep them happy or make big billy bollocks behave. So he ships them out or lets them get booked and sent off then blames the kids for not being like Taylor for the defeats. Well...can't blame the older guys eh Shez so eat the young!

Why did I waste £20 and 3 hours of my life when I knew full well what was going to happen? I text Derk at 19:46 telling him to get his mortgage on a 1-0 Cheltenham win.

We all did...but it's what we do. Ah well...

Why is there not a bookies in the RRE?

Coz the RRE is :censored: :wink:

E4e

WHYOY