Worst Chritmas fixtures

The Football Leagues computer has been relatively kind to Latics this year. Following correspondence with Inspectormorose as to the likelihood of a trip to Gresty Road it made me think about the worst Latics following Crimb. Reckon it has to be 1990/91, Plymouth at home on the Friday night (21st) the away to West Ham on Boxing Day with Millwall away at the original Den the following Saturday.

I know the two London games had an police enforced 12 noon kick off, which meant coaches leaving BP at summat like 6am. I can't really recall much about either day, except having about 2 hours kip prior to setting off to BP for the Boxing Day coach. Think we stopped at Knutsford or Sanbach on one of the days to find everything shut, Boxing Day most likely so the bundles of papers outside Smiths were duly opened and paid for, I often wonder what the staff thought we they turned up to find half the papers already sold and a pile of cash in the doorway.

I'm pretty sure Sheddy Terringham played for Millwall and that Roger Palmer tackled somebody with a 30ft slide tackle, the pitch being that muddy. Oh and we came back accross London, against Police wishes, went over Tower Bridge and up Oxford or maybe Regent Street, who knew, the sales were on anyway.

Maybe I imagined it, anybody else do the two games, the Inspector can't remember due to all festive games of that vintage being a haze, dunno why tho' :)

those west ham/millwall games will be etched in my fading memory forever...for all the travel points you point out!

i thought it was earlier than 6am from latics to west ham on the barlows cattle truck...5:30am?

the most vivid memory of that trip was the waft of boozy breath when everyone was getting aboard at latics and the waft of turkey and stuffing butties everyone seemed to have!(more of the same on the beardy bus for crewe please...yum yum!)

all i remember about the millwall game(it was my only visit to the old den) was"what a dump!!"....then after the game..."we are dead!!"

i remember nowt about the games!

happy daze... :D

Guest sheridans_world

Not as bad as the above but two seasons ago we played Rotherham away on Boxing day and Gillingham away on the 30th December. It was right after the two home games where entry was reduced.

And right before we beat Forest 5-0 :grin:

Not as bad as the above but two seasons ago we played Rotherham away on Boxing day and Gillingham away on the 30th December. It was right after the two home games where entry was reduced.

And right before we beat Forest 5-0 :grin:

The trips to the arse end of nowhere (Grimsby and Hartlepool) on consecutive Boxing Days in '03 and '04, were not particularly pleasant, although being there for Ernie's wonder goal, does give one a certain sense of privilege - at the other end of the scale were the two penalties that diving little twerp was awarded at Victoria Park - incidentally he's back at BP tomorrow.

QPR the day after Boxing Day in '93 was pretty pooh I believe.

Same date a year later was tremendous, for some reason we played Boxing Day - destroying Wolves then the day after had to make the trip to Blundell Park. "Yer :censored: and yer stink of fish..........." Superb!

Saw the title of this thread and without reading it, immediately thought of the two London trips where we had to get up before we had even gone to bed. I think Punkster is right as well Stipey, 5.30am start.

We got dicked at Upton Park 3-1 if I recall - and didn't they miss a penalty as well? - perhaps that was the year before in the LCSF. It were bloody cold though.

Millwall 0-0 borefest.

Gillingham 2 years ago - fab day out in the rain SW. Yer don't know yer born nowadays!

KtF,

Derek.

Saw the title of this thread and without reading it, immediately thought of the two London trips where we had to get up before we had even gone to bed. I think Punkster is right as well Stipey, 5.30am start.

We got dicked at Upton Park 3-1 if I recall - and didn't they miss a penalty as well? - perhaps that was the year before in the LCSF. It were bloody cold though.

Millwall 0-0 borefest.

Gillingham 2 years ago - fab day out in the rain SW. Yer don't know yer born nowadays!

KtF,

Derek.

West Ham was a 2-0 defeat mate. Being 13 at the time my mam wouldn't let me go on Barlow's....was gutted (She said she wanted me back before new year!)Remember listening to it on the Radio, back in the days when GMR loved us! They missed a pen at 1-0. Morley and the winger.....Sttuart Storer????

West Ham was a 2-0 defeat mate. Being 13 at the time my mam wouldn't let me go on Barlow's....was gutted (She said she wanted me back before new year!)Remember listening to it on the Radio, back in the days when GMR loved us! They missed a pen at 1-0. Morley and the winger.....Sttuart Storer????

Did we have one disallowed Paul? Am sure we had the ball in the net that day.

Obviously my memory was not what it was - must be the beer!

KtF,

Derek.

Guest sheridans_world

Brilliant day out, went in a pub not far from the ground at about 1ish, lovley blue sky. It had clouded over by 2:45 and it pissed down from then until the ref blew final whistle. Got totally soaked, didnt even have a coat on, then drove home! Cracking day out, brilliant result!

Brilliant day out, went in a pub not far from the ground at about 1ish, lovley blue sky. It had clouded over by 2:45 and it pissed down from then until the ref blew final whistle. Got totally soaked, didnt even have a coat on, then drove home! Cracking day out, brilliant result!

Had a superb day myself............in the pub. Going to Gillingham once is more than enough, Glorious heatwave when I went!

Saw the title of this thread and without reading it, immediately thought of the two London trips where we had to get up before we had even gone to bed. which plonker spells Christmas as Chritmas?

KtF,

Derek.

:grin: Tsk, Stipey.

I know the two London games had an police enforced 12 noon kick off, which meant coaches leaving BP at summat like 6am.

No, just the Wet Spam game had a noon kick off. Ever since then I always wondered who's bright idea that was!?! We got bummed by the fixture list the year before handing us Wet Spam a week before Xmas (We won 2-0 this time) and giving Pompey a welcome trip up to ISZ in a blizzard just before New Years. I bet they loved that one (3-3, Guy Whittingham hattrick).

The Millwall game IIRC had a 3pm kick off just before the New Year (we had the Geordies at home NYD and that Stimson OG). Really drab, dank and damp day in SE London at the grimy ol' Old Den. Dismal game, and we had a stonewall penno turned down after Currie got chopped down in the penalty area and he got all his locks muddy. It's on that end of season video anyway, with my OAFC Union Jack flag tied to the cage-like fence behind. I liked the Old Den though, real intimnidating atmosphere it just generated.

Maybe I imagined it, anybody else do the two games, the Inspector can't remember due to all festive games of that vintage being a haze, dunno why tho' :)

Yeah I did both games on Barlows. Turning up at the Clayton Arms at 5am on Boxing Day morning for the WHU game. There was quite a lot of Tics going down on Barlows.

Chelsea a couple of days before Xmas in a cold, wet game at Stamford Bridge where we got thumped 2-4 (91/92). Not many Latics made the way down and we were on that massive terrace miles from the pitch. First encountered a certain Droylsden Latics fan/jibber on train home who most people know.

For some reason in 92/93 we had no games from the 19th December (Spuzz 2-1, Olney last minute winner!) until the FAC 3rd round on the 2nd of Jan (Tranmere at home, 2-2, got dicked in the replay as per). Did we have some games postponed over that period as it seems odd no game on Boxing day and just before New Years?

(DerekWilson_1968 @ Dec 19 2008, 12:52 PM)

Saw the title of this thread and without reading it, immediately thought of the two London trips where we had to get up before we had even gone to bed. which plonker spells Christmas as Chritmas?

KtF,

Derek.

'Frankly Mr Shankly' date='Dec 19 2008, 13:42 PM' post='196514']

:grin: Tsk, Stipey.

Same ones who spell intimidating like this

intimnidating

Merry Christmas :wink:

few years ago at Chesterfield on a boxing day on that open terrace, horrible freezing and hail stones... think we won though but I've never been as cold in my life

Did anyone go to Chesterfield a few years ago on Boxing Day? (Back in the days of being really s**t in this division) Gale force wind into our face, driving rain and the open end....I could hardly see anything with all the rain water on my specs. As soon as we got in the ground we conceded and were 1-0, and thought...oh here we go again! Went on to win 3-1, Ratboy scored a screamer that got caught in the wind IIRC.

I think that was the wettest I've ever been at a football match…

I remember it well, especially as it was one of my finest ball mis-handling/fumbling/time-wasting displays, resulting in the ball becoming stuck under those steps leading from the terrace to the pitch, with a topless Hursty 'helping' me to retrieve it. :grin:

Yup Millwall was a 3pm kick off, just dug out the programme.

Coaches for West 'am went at 6am, there was an exec one at 6.30 mind.

There was apparently also a VIP flight for the game at £99 which sold out all 100 places.

Its amazing what you see looking through old programmes, just before the Crimb games we played Baltimore Blast at G-Mex in a "Transatlantic Challenge" during the Guinness Soccer 6 tournament, forgotten all about that! Theres also the programme from the ZDS cup game at Bramall Lane, but we'll not go into that one eh?

Oh and Ernie at Grimsby, brilliant.

Chritmas. D'OH

For some reason in 92/93 we had no games from the 19th December (Spuzz 2-1, Olney last minute winner!) until the FAC 3rd round on the 2nd of Jan (Tranmere at home, 2-2, got dicked in the replay as per). Did we have some games postponed over that period as it seems odd no game on Boxing day and just before New Years?

The weather mate paid for the Liverpool home game and the away game at Sheff utd. The rearranged home game vs Liverpool was again called off in March and the Sheff U rearranged game was live on Sky - so the nation could see our annual 0-2 dicking at Bramall Lane('88 excepted). The Tranmere game was played in freezing conditions too, late on the pich was like a skating rink!

few years ago at Chesterfield on a boxing day on that open terrace, horrible freezing and hail stones... think we won though but I've never been as cold in my life

Yep, we won 3-1

One-nil down after about 30 seconds, came storming back with an Allott brace and a break-away goal from Holty. Shez's pass which played him in was superb, he didn't even look where Holty was- just rolled a perfectly weighted ball into Holty who almost bust the shot with a cracking cross shot!Normal service was reumed 2 days later when a Richard Cresswell inspired York, came to BP and rolled us over 2-0.

The Football Leagues computer has been relatively kind to Latics this year. Following correspondence with Inspectormorose as to the likelihood of a trip to Gresty Road it made me think about the worst Latics following Crimb. Reckon it has to be 1990/91, Plymouth at home on the Friday night (21st) the away to West Ham on Boxing Day with Millwall away at the original Den the following Saturday.

I know the two London games had an police enforced 12 noon kick off, which meant coaches leaving BP at summat like 6am. I can't really recall much about either day, except having about 2 hours kip prior to setting off to BP for the Boxing Day coach. Think we stopped at Knutsford or Sanbach on one of the days to find everything shut, Boxing Day most likely so the bundles of papers outside Smiths were duly opened and paid for, I often wonder what the staff thought we they turned up to find half the papers already sold and a pile of cash in the doorway.

I'm pretty sure Sheddy Terringham played for Millwall and that Roger Palmer tackled somebody with a 30ft slide tackle, the pitch being that muddy. Oh and we came back accross London, against Police wishes, went over Tower Bridge and up Oxford or maybe Regent Street, who knew, the sales were on anyway.

Went to both WH i an remember hallworth saving a pen.

As for the wall,all i can remember is some bloke passing his trumpet aroud the away end :unsure:

Yup Millwall was a 3pm kick off, just dug out the programme.

Coaches for West 'am went at 6am, there was an exec one at 6.30 mind.

There was apparently also a VIP flight for the game at £99 which sold out all 100 places.

Its amazing what you see looking through old programmes, just before the Crimb games we played Baltimore Blast at G-Mex in a "Transatlantic Challenge" during the Guinness Soccer 6 tournament, forgotten all about that! Theres also the programme from the ZDS cup game at Bramall Lane, but we'll not go into that one eh?

Oh and Ernie at Grimsby, brilliant.

Chritmas. D'OH

Yers need to join in more on here Stipey and the Inspector.

Said it in my 'where have all the raconteurs gone' post from an age ago.

There are places for us old 'uns you know - we know of things that went on when lots on this board were gleams in their parents eyes.

Be a shame to let all the gen go to waste.

KtF,

Derek.

Yep, we won 3-1

One-nil down after about 30 seconds, came storming back with an Allott brace and a break-away goal from Holty. Shez's pass which played him in was superb, he didn't even look where Holty was- just rolled a perfectly weighted ball into Holty who almost bust the shot with a cracking cross shot!Normal service was reumed 2 days later when a Richard Cresswell inspired York, came to BP and rolled us over 2-0.

I remember when we palyed York away, sure it was on a boxing day aswell, again in the Glory years - 0-0 thriller i think?

I remember when we palyed York away, sure it was on a boxing day aswell, again in the Glory years - 0-0 thriller i think?

Take it you are referring to the debacle under Warnock, dire performance were Matty Rush put in an extremely indifferent performance. It wasn't Boxing day though, it was 10th January, think Neil Thompson made his debut for us that day - now he was quality.