Hughes Staying?.....

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/free-p...-tie.4900225.jp

It's a dream tie

22 January 2009

By Peter Catt

ROVERS were preparing for their biggest FA Cup tie for 24 years today - but are no closer to signing goal ace Lee Hughes.

Tuesday night's comfortable 3-0 third round replay victory over Cheltenham earned Rovers a dream fourth round tie at home to Aston Villa and the extra revenue generated also paved the way to sign £400,000 rated Oldham star Hughes.

It is believed that Doncaster chairman John Ryan had finalised a deal with his Oldham counterpart but the transfer could collapse over lack of agreement over the striker's personal terms.

Manager Sean O'Driscoll said after the Cheltenham win that talks regarding the move for 32-year-old Hughes were "ongoing" but chairman Ryan seemed less optimistic following a Board meeting at which the deal was discussed yesterday.

But there was better news about Doncaster's other main transfer target Bristol City striker Steve Brooker who is currently on the sidelines injured after scoring on his loan debut for the Keepmoat club.

Rovers are expected to tie up a £100,000 plus deal for the 27-year-old early next week providing there are no fitness issues remaining.

O'Driscoll said: "We are much closer to a deal for Steve and I am keen to sign him."

Maybe they cant match or arent willing to pay him our 'rumoured' £4.5k a week, or he is wanting a big signing on fee?? who knows........ gives us a small chink of hope anyway.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/free-p...-tie.4900225.jp

It's a dream tie

22 January 2009

By Peter Catt

ROVERS were preparing for their biggest FA Cup tie for 24 years today - but are no closer to signing goal ace Lee Hughes.

Tuesday night's comfortable 3-0 third round replay victory over Cheltenham earned Rovers a dream fourth round tie at home to Aston Villa and the extra revenue generated also paved the way to sign £400,000 rated Oldham star Hughes.

It is believed that Doncaster chairman John Ryan had finalised a deal with his Oldham counterpart but the transfer could collapse over lack of agreement over the striker's personal terms.

Manager Sean O'Driscoll said after the Cheltenham win that talks regarding the move for 32-year-old Hughes were "ongoing" but chairman Ryan seemed less optimistic following a Board meeting at which the deal was discussed yesterday.

But there was better news about Doncaster's other main transfer target Bristol City striker Steve Brooker who is currently on the sidelines injured after scoring on his loan debut for the Keepmoat club.

Rovers are expected to tie up a £100,000 plus deal for the 27-year-old early next week providing there are no fitness issues remaining.

O'Driscoll said: "We are much closer to a deal for Steve and I am keen to sign him."

Maybe they cant match or arent willing to pay him our 'rumoured' £4.5k a week, or he is wanting a big signing on fee?? who knows........ gives us a small chink of hope anyway.

It will be down to the Agent Fee !!!! dirty parasite !! John Ryan doesn't like paying them

Posted similar in another thread, Sky sports have said that Doncaser have been given permission to speak to Hughes.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_4831939,00.html

Today's Doncaster Free Press has reported Oldham agree fee for Hughes, talks then collapse over personal terms and the deal could be off.

linky thing

Edited by jimsleftfoot

So reading between the lines Latics have offered more than Donny or Hughes' demands are way over the top. If he wants to go to Donny he needs to lower his asking price. I suppose Hughes knows what he used to be on and thinks grander than most 32 years olds in League One.

Edited by Lags

So reading between the lines Latics have offered more than Donny or Hughes' demands are way over the top. If he wants to go to Donny he needs to lower his asking price. I suppose Hughes knows what he used to be on and thinks grander than most 32 years olds in League One.

I think that unless they are going to pay a hell of a lot more than we are, its probably not that interesting a move. At the end of the day Doncaster is not the best place in the world and they could be playing league 1 football next year.

I think the talks are still ongoing. The deal may have stalled but hasn't collapsed. It may take longer than some people predicted if it is to happen. But then again these things can also resolve themselves very quickly either way. We shall see....

Do you think you are going to sign two strikers? Looks to me like maybe you are talking to Brooker and Hughes to keep the options open.

Do you think you are going to sign two strikers? Looks to me like maybe you are talking to Brooker and Hughes to keep the options open.

When my mate saw Hughes in Oldham last week, he said he was signing for us but they were just making Donny wait til the last minute, whether he meant it or not i don't know but then again he's also not goin to just say "well No am not signing the new contract am leaving".

There you go, my useless bit of info for the day :grin:

O Driscoll wants them both, he's trying to build a whole team of bald players it seems. Brooker is pretty much certain to sign for about 100k which in reality is a bit of a bargain. Even though his loan as ended he's stayed up here and trained whilst he recovers from his injury as he wants to move to Doncaster where he has lots of family.

What I have heard on Hughes is that there is an agreement between the clubs and that there are some differences between us and the player but over time they're likely to compromise. It just needs resolving though if I'm honest.

And how long would Rovers be prepared to wait until they feel they have to act on another player before the window shuts? surely all clubs concerned must have put feelers out to other players and they are on standby ready to put pen to paper. I guess there's always loans to be had after the window shuts.

It might not be about money, it could the length of contract.

I reckon Wellens would far rather come back to us than shave his head... :grin:

how many strikers have doncaster got???? i can recall heffenan and byfield but im sure they got about 5 already..

if he goes he goes....if he stays i hope he scores a shed load of goals n sends us up...

wouldnt it be a very funny situation though if he does go...then we go up n rovers come back down....how stupid would he look then.

just in...(reply from email)

Mike

If he wants to go and we say no, we have an unhappy player on our staff that may not be any use to us for the rest of the season and we lose out big style on two fronts.

Believe me we do not want to do any favours for Donny.

However, I fully expect Lee to be with us at the end of January.

Alan

HUGHESGATE TAKES ANOTHER TURN...

Edited by shefflatic

just in...(reply from email)

Mike

If he wants to go and we say no, we have an unhappy player on our staff that may not be any use to us for the rest of the season and we lose out big style on two fronts.

Believe me we do not want to do any favours for Donny.

However, I fully expect Lee to be with us at the end of January.

Alan

HUGHESGATE TAKES ANOTHER TURN...

That'd be great, if the transfer window didn't close in February. :grin: