best black &white film

boboafc

Hell Is a City (B&W from 1960) was apparently shot in the St Mary's district of Oldham.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053900/#comment

That's right.

Stanley Baker's home, on the steep cobbled gas-lit street, is the upper part of Crompton Street between Godson Street and Oldham Edge. The illegal coin-tossers, intercepted by police, were filmed on Oldham Edge near to Rivington Street, at the rear of the Whitehouse pub. The old stone cottage, where Baker interviews the lady in her living-room, was Henshaw Street, on the opposite side to the Whitehouse pub facing Crompton Street.

Part of the Manc city centre footage was filmed in a back street where, in later years, the Hollies had a boutique.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

That's right.

Stanley Baker's home, on the steep cobbled gas-lit street, is the upper part of Crompton Street between Godson Street and Oldham Edge. The illegal coin-tossers, intercepted by police, were filmed on Oldham Edge near to Rivington Street, at the rear of the Whitehouse pub. The old stone cottage, where Baker interviews the lady in her living-room, was Henshaw Street, on the opposite side to the Whitehouse pub facing Crompton Street.

Part of the Manc city centre footage was filmed in a back street where, in later years, the Hollies had a boutique.

I've never seen Hell Is A City but I'm dying to now. It has all the classic hallmarks of a noirish thriller but with the added bonus of loads of local settings which is always good. Reading this brilliant article has gotten me salivating even more. Its also rumoured to have a scene filmed inside the Star and Garter, which is where I work.

Iwannasee! Iwannasee!

EDIT: and at under £4 on Amazon. Backofthenet!

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

I've never seen Hell Is A City but I'm dying to now. It has all the classic hallmarks of a noirish thriller but with the added bonus of loads of local settings which is always good. Reading this brilliant article has gotten me salivating even more. Its also rumoured to have a scene filmed inside the Star and Garter, which is where I work.

That article is brilliant!

In the early 1950s, me and my mates use to walk from Stansfield Street, across Rochdale road and up Crompton Street, Coldhurst to Oldham Edge.

Re the note in the article:

The scene where the long dry stone wall is, was called the roman wall by us kids and the mills in the background are the the cotton mills of Shaw near Oldham. The scene where the men are scrambling down a steep slope, we kids called Hill 60 and is directly behind the roman wall.

We used to collect fossils from what we believed to be a Roman road which linked to the Roman camp at Castleshaw.

My dad’s cousin named his dog after the dog in Dambusters. Which turns from being somewhat offensive to being completely reckless when you consider that he was serving on the US base at Greenham Common at the time.

Wasn't the dog called N*****?