best black &white film

boboafc

I'm sure this is about the 3rd time we've done this, yet I can find no evidence of it.

Conspiracy.

Anyway, here are my beautiful B&W's in no particular order:

Ice Cold in Alex

The Longest Day

La Haine

Man Bites Dog

12 Angry Men

Failsafe

Raging Bull

Night of the Living Dead

Doctor Strangelove

The Third Man (doooo, de-do, de-do, deee-dooooo!)

Shichinin no Samurai

I'm sure this is about the 3rd time we've done this, yet I can find no evidence of it.

Conspiracy.

Ice Cold in Alex

The Longest Day

La Haine

Man Bites Dog

12 Angry Men

Failsafe

Raging Bull

Night of the Living Dead

Doctor Strangelove

Shichinin no Samurai

What a film the Longest Day is! Brilliant. Apart from that The Big Sleep is a timeless film noir classic.

Conspiracy.

Ice Cold in Alex

The Longest Day

La Haine

Man Bites Dog

12 Angry Men

Failsafe

Raging Bull

Night of the Living Dead

Doctor Strangelove

Shichinin no Samurai

Just because you man-wrestle in romper suits there's no need not to use English, Rummy. The ones in bold are all very very good films IMO. You could add any of the Ealing comedies if I were in the mood for something a bit silly (yet clever). Also

Metropolis

High Noon

Battleship Potempkin

Just because you man-wrestle in romper suits there's no need not to use English, Rummy. The ones in bold are all very very good films IMO. You could add any of the Ealing comedies if I were in the mood for something a bit silly (yet clever). Also

Metropolis

High Noon

Battleship Potempkin

That's the best of those mentioned so far that I've seen.

Letters From Iwo Jima is my favourite war film, so I'm throwing it in the mix as it's mostly in black and white...

Oooh I don't know about Letters from Iwo Jima! I don't think it qualifies as a black and white film, more the colour's washed out - something to do with leaving a chemical on the film in the old days, probably just a digital filter now...

Good film though!

Casablana has got to be up there!!!

Colour?

Longest Day

Any Laurel and Hardy........speaking of which Hardy had a footballing son, anyone know his name?

A few which I've seen but never paid attention to the title, normally British war films.

I'm liking Rummy's list, some great ones in there especially Ice Cold In Alex, and another great war (well, very much anti-war) movie to add; All Quiet On The Western Front. Watching that really changed my perception of war, and what it does to men and boys. It must have hit like a bombshell (no pun intended) when it was screened in the 1930's.

I love film noir and the kitchen sink dramas of the 50's and 60's too. Some brilliant B&W films there such as The Maltese Falcon, Act of Violence and Billy Liar. And some of Hitchcock's early films are astounding. Psycho is just about his best B&W work, the tone really adds tension and atmosphere to a gripping thriller even though Hitchcock chose to film it that way to keep the budget low.

As for modern noir, Shane Meadows' major debut Twentyforseven saw him stylishly make his mark in British Cinema and is one of my favourite modern B&W films.