Leicester Preview

Leicester City are going like a runaway....er....Fox, and the rarely read Mercury newspaper has listed all the records breakable this season. In particular they are undefeated in 15 league games, four off their all-time record of 19 matches, achieved from the February of the 1970-71 season until the end of August 1971/72 season, by a team including Peter Shilton.

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/details.asp?b...6269754|p|536|0

So the time is right for Latics to put in a performance like the one at Elland Road, In the past we've ended long unbeaten runs including Leeds and Wigan (home and away). Those Latics players enjoyed tweaking the noses of the big boys, and there's no reason to believe that the current squad wouldn't take similar delight from a victory on Saturday.

The postponement of tonight's game will give Gregan's hip injury more time to recover and delays a potential suspension for Hazell. Training wil be difficult this week with the snow and ice, but look what happened to Hereford when they came back after an enforced break.

The opportunity for players to show how good they can play before a large TV audience should be another incentive. Also the pressure from the transfer speculation has been lifted.

So I'm really looking forward to Saturday (weather permitting) and a good performance could prove to be the catalyst needed to beat our other promotion rivals in due course.

Leicester City are going like a runaway....er....Fox, and the rarely read Mercury newspaper has listed all the records breakable this season. In particular they are undefeated in 15 league games, four off their all-time record of 19 matches, achieved from the February of the 1970-71 season until the end of August 1971/72 season, by a team including Peter Shilton.

http://www.thebluearmy.co.uk/details.asp?b...6269754|p|536|0

So the time is right for Latics to put in a performance like the one at Elland Road, In the past we've ended long unbeaten runs including Leeds and Wigan (home and away). Those Latics players enjoyed tweaking the noses of the big boys, and there's no reason to believe that the current squad wouldn't take similar delight from a victory on Saturday.

The postponement of tonight's game will give Gregan's hip injury more time to recover and delays a potential suspension for Hazell. Training wil be difficult this week with the snow and ice, but look what happened to Hereford when they came back after an enforced break.

The opportunity for players to show how good they can play before a large TV audience should be another incentive. Also the pressure from the transfer speculation has been lifted.

So I'm really looking forward to Saturday (weather permitting) and a good performance could prove to be the catalyst needed to beat our other promotion rivals in due course.

Oh yes indeed - surely the snow will have moved on by then - cannot wait (but I guess I'll have too) :bblue2:

It's goin to be a really tough game and our defence is goin to have to be on its toes.

Do we ever play well when we are on t.v. though?

It's very rare, but we have been known to play well on TV. Think positive...this is the start f the owards and upwards period of the season. :pray:

A nasty injury to Fryatt as a result of slipping on the ice this week would be a bonus. :wink:

It's goin to be a really tough game and our defence is goin to have to be on its toes.

Do we ever play well when we are on t.v. though?

Off top of my head:

Blackpool 3-1 Latics - playoffs

Latics 1-2 Blackpool - playoffs

King's Lynn 0-2 Latics - cup

Thurrock 0-1 Latics (penalty) - cup

Chasetown 1-1 Latics - cup

Brentford 1-0 Latics - cup

Burton 2-2 Latics (won on penalties) - cup

Latics 2-1 Vale - league

Cardiff 1-1 Latics - league

Wigan 0-1 Latics - league

Brentford - Latics when we won on penalties but can't remember the score - cup

So, no...but we've done alright in the league on the box...so that's a good enough omen for me...

Im not going to the game but i can't wait to watch us on t.v. Something of a novelty.

It's such a big game for Sky that the preview starts all of five minutes before the kick-off.

Watch out for the Ernie Flag which Sky have been asked to show and explain its purpose. If we can get the Ernie chants going, the commentator will have no excuse interpreting them, unlike at the Masters!

An obvious fact for the commentators to use: It's like Dad's Army, with Leicester having their own 39 year old, Chris Powell, who is five months younger than Windy.

Any other things they're likely to say?

"Surely both clubs are now just playing for the playofff places behind Leeds ( with Jermaine beckford - the best srtiker in europe), Peterborough (Darren Ferguson, the greatest manager, well since his dad) and MK Dons (Managed by Roberto Di Matteo - he scored in a cup final dont you know!)"

Various comments about little oldham, and being finacially inept, but sheridan still amnaging to assemble a good squad... doing well with his resources... etc.. etc..

"Surely both clubs are now just playing for the playofff places behind Leeds ( with Jermaine beckford - the best srtiker in europe), Peterborough (Darren Ferguson, the greatest manager, well since his dad) and MK Dons (Managed by Roberto Di Matteo - he scored in a cup final dont you know!)"

Various comments about little oldham, and being finacially inept, but sheridan still amnaging to assemble a good squad... doing well with his resources... etc.. etc..

"And Oldham were in a cup semi-final themselves in '94, here's a goal from that game!"

Which is a damn good reason for going to the Walkers so you don't have to watch the TV coverage

If we play more than 2 short passes in any move, cue patronising comment about a rare team that plays it on the ground at 'this level'.

"And Oldham were in a cup semi-final themselves in '94, here's a goal from that game!"

Which is a damn good reason for going to the Walkers so you don't have to watch the TV coverage

That's a point actually I can't remember ever seeing our goal in that game apart from actually at the game.

The Walkers Stadium is a great ground for league 1 (surpassed only by Elland Road). Windass's inability to be a pundit at Bradford last night will get a mention, Sheridan's goal at Wembley, Crossley's penalty save at Wenbley. Lee Hughes once being sold for £5million will get a mention, anyone who is ex-Prem. Beagrie might be more complimentary to Latics than normal as isn't he quite big mates with Windass from their time together at Bradford

On the game front, and correct me if I'm wrong Midlander people, but hasn't Leicester had some snow this week, and if its so cold that the pitches are frozen, then I can't see them being able to do all that much training either.

Oh and our goal from that game is on You tube somewhere a search for Pointon might find it.

Edited by rudemedic

... correct me if I'm wrong Midlander people, but hasn't Leicester had some snow this week, and if its so cold that the pitches are frozen, then I can't see them being able to do all that much training either.

I would guess that, with their money, they will have suitable training facilities.

hows the forecast for the area down there sat?

bear in mind,though its not just about the pitch being protected there..

games get postponed for reasons like access to the ground etc etc these days.

forecast for oldham area thurs isn't looking good, with more on its way weekend.

it could get called off because of travel being restricted from oldham?

hows the forecast for the area down there sat?

bear in mind,though its not just about the pitch being protected there..

games get postponed for reasons like access to the ground etc etc these days.

forecast for oldham area thurs isn't looking good, with more on its way weekend.

it could get called off because of travel being restricted from oldham?

We have our representative on site, keeping her snow shoes close to the ground.

Quick weather report from me, who has just driven past the stadium about 30 minutes ago - a lot clearer from a snow point of view, and Leicester fans I know say they are doing everything they can to keep the game on - Leicester away at Walsall tonite is on, so imagine the pitch at Walkers will be covered. That being said, the temperatures are cold, about 2 in the day and -3 at night, so think it will may be down to see what else we get here in Leicester snow and ice wise - suppose could be postponed if pitch is frozen. Will try and keep u posted anything I know or hear.

It's assumed they have undersoil heating at the Walkers.

"..called off because of travel being restricted from Oldham?" That's a good one Johnny. It's on Sky, so they will require it to be played, if humanly possible, regardless of supporters' problems.

If the forecast of heavy snow tomorrow is correct, the game could be in doubt.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/em/...st_weather.html

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

"..called off because of travel being restricted from Oldham?" That's a good one Johnny. It's on Sky, so they will require it to be played, if humanly possible, regardless of supporters' problems.

who said i was talking just about supporters?

players/management stuck at home on monday springs to mind..

who said i was talking just about supporters?

players/management stuck at home on monday springs to mind..

If there is doubt about travel on Saturday, even with a 5:20pm kick-off, Sky will probably require the team to be in Leicester overnight on Friday (weather permitting).

On every occasion when the team has arrived late for a match (Stoke, West Bom, Walsall, Fulham), I never recall any supporters being late. :lol:

Justified concern has been expressed about possible postponements due to snow and ice on the approaches to grounds, but it didn’t stop the game going ahead at Walsall last night.

Apparently. it was a bit tricky on the paths leading to the Stadium, and some of the footwork would have led to instant eviction from ‘Dancing On Ice‘. Inside there was certainly plenty of snow, which had been cleared from the pitch. It was hats off to the ground staff for making the pitch playable and one of the Walsall stewards had his hat knocked off by a rogue snowball during a snowball fight between Leicester supporters in the two away sections of the ground. They were celebrating at the end of the game and as it was only friendly fire, the steward took it in the right spirit.

There were 1,998 Leicester supporters out of a gate of 5,634 - respect to them in view of the weather conditions.

If there is doubt about travel on Saturday, even with a 5:20pm kick-off, Sky will probably require the team to be in Leicester overnight on Friday (weather permitting).

so who makes the decision here..the football league/local authority etc or sky?

also,would sky be putting up the team in a hotel at sky's expense ?