Ernie Flag Donations - Your help needed

I have just had a call from Richard Attwood (wardlelatic) regarding the new Ernie flag. He is struggling to post a message and has asked me to post this.

First of all, he is delighted that people are willing to donate to the production of a new flag and thanks everybody who has sent him private messages or pledged their donations on the thread.

He has spoken to Alan Hady and it has been agreed that people can leave their donations, in a sealed envelope, with the staff at the club shop. The cost of producing the flag is £250 and as long as it is ok with everybody, any amount over and above £250 will be donated to the breast cancer charity that the club are supporting on March 2nd.

Alan Hardy has arranged with Lois in the Club Shop to receive donations which anyone may want to make towards the cost of the replacement Flag.

If you wish to donate, please put the money and your details in a sealed envelope and mark it:

REPLACEMENT ERNIE FLAG

and hand it in at the Club Shop.

The names of all those donating will be acknowledged in due course when the new Flag has been purchased.

Please pass on this information to anyone who may be interested.

Alan Hardy has arranged with Lois in the Club Shop to receive donations which anyone may want to make towards the cost of the replacement Flag.

If you wish to donate, please put the money and your details in a sealed envelope and mark it:

REPLACEMENT ERNIE FLAG

The names of all those donating will be acknowledged in due course when the new Flag has been purchased.

See also this thread, written a few minutes earlier ( :huh: ) which covers what will happen if donations exceed the cost of the new flag.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20767

REPLACEMENT ERNIE FLAG

Thanks Diego. Message forwarded from Wardle earlier today also. http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20767

I have just had a call from Richard Attwood (wardlelatic) regarding the new Ernie flag. He is struggling to post a message and has asked me to post this.

First of all, he is delighted that people are willing to donate to the production of a new flag and thanks everybody who has sent him private messages or pledged their donations on the thread.

He has spoken to Alan Hady and it has been agreed that people can leave their donations, in a sealed envelope, with the staff at the club shop. The cost of producing the flag is £250 and as long as it is ok with everybody, any amount over and above £250 will be donated to the breast cancer charity that the club are supporting on March 2nd.

Fine by me...

See also this thread, written a few minutes earlier ( :huh: ) which covers what will happen if donations exceed the cost of the new flag.

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20767

I spoke on the phone to wardlelatic and he asked me to post about donations. Obviously he believes in belt and braces. :grin:

The cost of producing the flag is £250 and as long as it is ok with everybody, any amount over and above £250 will be donated to the breast cancer charity that the club are supporting on March 2nd.

Just to clarify the connection between the Ernie Flag and charities, and to explain why charities are not advertised on the Flag.

The purpose of the Flag and the Ernieflag site is to keep Ernie's story in the public eye, and raise awareness of Malignant Melanoma. The site gives readers the opportunity to find out more by clicking on the links to the Factor 50 campaign for Christie‘s, Dr Kershaw's and Cancer Research. We are not supporting any particular charity, but suggest that if readers of the site wish to make a contribution to any of the charities, they may so do via the links.

Although not supporting any particular charity, we see all three as charities doing exceptional work in their particular fields, as are other charities, including Link4Pink of which we have now become aware. We all have experienced cancer deaths among our families and friends and the respite care provided by Dr. Kershaw's. Now through Ernie we are all familiar with Malignant Melanoma, and, through the link to the Factor 50 campaign for Christie’s site, we are aware of what is being done towards obtaining effective research.

My signature on OWTB mentions specifically Factor 50. We also have Factor 50 campaign for Christie’s information fliers which we can give out when talking in the pub to fans of clubs we visit with Latics. The story is one of not only football but also health and human interest, and by providing information towards helping people to avoid the same fate as Ernie, we hope our efforts are worthwhile.

If any charities receive donations that is a bonus, but the aim of the Flag is to raise awareness.

I just want to post this in case anyone is wondering about the suggestion that surplus donations go to the Link4Pink charity, when I posted the above yesterday saying that the ernieflag site does not support any particular charity.

What is being suggested is that if more than the £250 needed for the replacement flag is collected, it could go to this new charity which OAFC is supporting, particularly via the Leeds game.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I just want to post this in case anyone is wondering about the suggestion that surplus donations go to the Link4Pink charity, when I posted the above yesterday saying that the ernieflag site does not support any particular charity.

What is being suggested is that if more than the £250 needed for the replacement flag is collected, it could go to this new charity which OAFC is supporting, perticularly via the Leeds game.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Terry!! :shock:

Unfortunately it is correct that Mark has broken his Jaw when attempting to defend the flag as such when the incident occurred.

He went for his x- ray and check up at Oldham this morning and was then transfered to North Manchester for further treament after his tests came back to show a break of his Jaw.

I hope Mark is feeling better soon, Mark was spoken to just after four - he's in hospital for the weekend for a spot of surgery on the jaw.

In regards to donations, all amounts are received with thanks. The cost of the new flag is approx £250 so we are hoping to fund this by donations from anybody who is willing to give anything from a £1 to £250 :wink: Any monies left over after the new Flag is Purchased will be passed on to the latest Latics supported charity

If anyone does wish to make a donation, to anyone connected with the flag that is welcomed although the club have generously offered to help collect money for us by people being able to hand in money in an envelope at the club shop.

To show my gratitude for anyone wishing to make a donation, if you could please either put your name or Owtb ID inside or on the envelope and when I have collected them in I will draw a spot prize not for the most donated but for a random donation of a piece of Signed Latics Membrobilla. I will also ask the club to advertise who the winner of the Membrobilla is so everyone knows somebody did receive the item.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me tomorrow if you know me or PM here on Owtb

I have just had a PM off a fan who isnt making the game tomorrow and said they wished to make a donation through Paypal....

If anyone else would like to do this please send your donation to rickattwood@gmail.com Please add your name or Owtb ID on any transfer so I can include you for the spot item to a fan who has donated.

I hope thats not too naughty in the circumstances

:laught16:

Cheers,

Harry

We managed to get the NEW flag top the ground at 2:45 today and I tried to put it in a position so everyone could see it from where ever they were sitting

A massive THANKS goes to Martin who paid for the flag upfront today so we could have it and Barmy Flags for making a new one so quickly.

May I also say Thank you to the people who today have left donations at the club towards the flag and via pay pal !!!

We still have to reimburse Martin for putting the money upfront for the flag so if anyone still wishes to send a pound or two you can still send it in via payPal at rickattwood@gmail.com ...

Some positive News is that Mark W has had his operation to fix his Jaw and everything went well !!! Get well soon buddy

I will draw a winner of the spot prize by 5pm Friday, when I can then hope send Martin the money to pay for the flag.

Edited by Markoasis
Highlighted to help Scotty who didn't know

Great to see the flag at the game today,especially after they announced over the PA that it wouldn't be. Good spec for it as well, maybe you should keep it there in future? not always easy to see it when it's in the chaddy end/RRE.

I think it looked great where it was today, a place of prominence fit for a guy prominent in our thoughts this season. :)

I have asked before but its not always bewn possible, I was a little bit cheeky today and played on the occassion lol

It was a good spot, I'll ask if that can be its home for Home matches :grin:

I have asked before but its not always bewn possible, I was a little bit cheeky today and played on the occassion lol

It was a good spot, I'll ask if that can be its home for Home matches :grin:

The only problem with today's prominent position is that the Flag can't be seen on video footage of games. When it's been in the RRE or Chaddy End, it has been seen clearly on goal footage. In years to come the Flag will be seen on that footage and Ernie's name will be there for posterity.

I think that's somrthing to consider when positioning it at BP for the remainder of the season.